Thread: F800 GS and lack of history

F800 GS and lack of history

I’ve bought probably 100 cars privately over the past 30 years, but I’m relatively new to biking. My question is regarding a 6 year old bike I’m considering purchasing and it’s lack of SH.
    Bike has 7k on it. It had its initial run in service , but has no stamps since then ( I think this was at under 1k). The seller claims it has been dry stored and unused for past 4 years and when using, he serviced himself. So effectively a bike that did 7k in first two years and nothing since.
    One of my concerns is that the bike has some signs of corrosion (engine block, subframe , side stand) . My limited experience would make me wonder why the bike has slight corrosion if it had been stored for so long.
    So, should I avoid ? Thoughts welcomed please . Cheers guys

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hmm.. I guess it's entirely possible quite a few complaints about thin paint etc my sump and around the dip stick were blistering at approx 2-3 years old/7k. left untouched it could worsen even under cover. Is everything else looking in good order and in keeping with the mileage/limited use?

Unless it's exceptionally cheap, don't bother
    Plenty of better examples which have been looked after properly for sale
    JohnnyBoxer

So many roads...........So little time......

All depends on the price and what you are prepared to live with. Apart from the break-in service it would only have needed one other at 6k and that would probably be mainly oil change. If the price is right grab it and get it serviced with brake fluid changes, all filters etc. The corrosion sounds minor and you can deal with this in time. As said above corrosion will keep happening if it started before the bike was stored.
    2011 GS Triple Black
    2018 Cube Cross One 500 e-bike. Triple Black

Thanks all, mixed opinions !
    It’s a blue white trophy so quite rare. 2012, up for 6300. It’s local to me too, so o think it would be rude not to view it .

Why wouldn't an owner ensure their bike was fully serviced & road ready before sale. It makes no sense - price seems OK, but take care & make sure you digest the common failings detailed in 'The Bikes' section of this forum beforehand.

Probably better to look for one at a dealership & have the comfort of a warranty IMHO, even if it cost a little more.

For me the price should represent the age of the bike rather than the mileage. Then you can haggle for the lack of history and the condition.
    2011 GS Triple Black
    2018 Cube Cross One 500 e-bike. Triple Black

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

A request for thoughts, so here goes!
    Based on reported condition age and history, the price should be nearer 4500.
    These middle period 800`s were properly built on the inside but let down by the cosmetics.
    Chances are no problems with valve clearances, typically don`t need much if any before 20k.
    Its a risk, but not much of one at the right price.
    to hide a leaf first find a forest

http://www.visitguernsey.com