1250 it is !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxerlust

Reaction score
I hear the dealers got a memo that all boxers get the updated 1250 engine for next year !
No word about specs yet as the bikes will be shown at the cologne and Milano shows in oct/nov.
I kind of hoped for a 1300 or even 1400 cc but oh well the 1170cc R1200GS with VVT from Alphatechnik had a respectable 145 hp and a very healthy torque curve...:thumby: So S1000XR power might still be a dream but at least TORQUE will be at KTM levels so my uneducated guess...;)
No word about a XR version of the GS with 17 inch wheels but rumor about resurrection of a S-Boxer to inject some excitement and to attract younger folks as a welcome surprise...:thumby:
Hope while they were at it the R/RS get better looking instruments with a analog tach as the RT will get a bigger TFT with integrated GPS screen like some earlier shots suggested.
If GS and GS-ADV will get any changes besides the 1250 engine remains to be seen...
As also if the new engines will still sound like real boxers or are already Euro-5 quiet...:(

How about footpeg adjustment for us tall folk, thicker bars for those of us with big hands, a choice of springs for the heavier guys and a seat that doesn’t mash your tackle into the tank?

More power will get me into the dealer, but ergonomics will get me to sign the order form.

Mmmmm not sure if the extra power wont be wasted on me IMHO. There’s only so fast you can go round a corner, reaching speed then being able to carry it through the bendy twisties is more skilful than power IMHO and faster 0-60 times seem to be more ‘bragging rights’ than anything else. Not wanting to poo-poo it as I’m sure it will be brill but do we ‘need’ this extra power? Or is it BMW just keeping up with KTM? Not that I’m arguing as we win coz we get new models :)

And anyhoo, I wanted more power so I went out and bought an XR tuned to 168 at the rear wheel.

And that was wasted on me too........ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also hope BMW does some fine-tuning in addition to the more powerful engine that hopefully is more powerful and exiting than the old units !
They have had 6 long years to get it right as KTM/Ducati is 25 hp rwhp ahead...
I don't know if only 1250 will do the trick which is 40 cc more per cylinder at best + the fancy/complicated intake valve actuation...but I don't want to sound negative yet before we've seen the final product but I must admit that I rather would have seen a 106 mm bore / more displacement 1300/1400cc instead of more mechanical complexity !
As for upgrades I like to see a R-XR version,electronic Ohlins like Ducati does,real analog gauges and not the TFT nonsense and please a real key option instead of keyless only !
And a S-Boxer that is equally fun on trackdays and useful for holiday trips as a modern version of the R 1100 S would definitely be great & exiting news :thumby:

In the dealers on Saturday and 135bhp was mentioned but very little else.

Sent from a U11

135 hp they must be kidding ! This would be only 2 hp more than the old aircooled R1200 units in the 2008 HP-2 S which already made 133hp and that without water-cooling and mechanical VVL complexity.I want at least see a 140 for hp and torque to get my juices flowing unless this is already Euro-5 killing all the fun and KTM/Ducati having to cut their output levels by 1.1.2021...Oh well TORQUE is king anyways but only 10 hp more is not exactly exiting...

I also hope BMW does some fine-tuning in addition to the more powerful engine that hopefully is more powerful and exiting than the old units !
They have had 6 long years to get it right as KTM/Ducati is 25 hp rwhp ahead...
I don't know if only 1250 will do the trick which is 40 cc more per cylinder at best + the fancy/complicated intake valve actuation...but I don't want to sound negative yet before we've seen the final product but I must admit that I rather would have seen a 106 mm bore / more displacement 1300/1400cc instead of more mechanical complexity !:

I suspect that the addition of VVT will be as much if not more about meeting future emissions standards rather than just for the power increase. Just making the existing engine larger would probably make it more difficult to meet today's standards let alone future ones.

I've ridden the latest LC and the KTM 1290 SAs

The power of the the KTM is not necessary on this type of bike............ but the torque is intoxicating!!

If the new LC gets a 10nm bump on torque as well, I think it could be pretty much ideal for this kind of bike.

Sent from a U11

Mmmmm not sure if the extra power wont be wasted on me IMHO. There’s only so fast you can go round a corner, reaching speed then being able to carry it through the bendy twisties is more skilful than power IMHO and faster 0-60 times seem to be more ‘bragging rights’ than anything else. Not wanting to poo-poo it as I’m sure it will be brill but do we ‘need’ this extra power? Or is it BMW just keeping up with KTM? Not that I’m arguing as we win coz we get new models :)

And anyhoo, I wanted more power so I went out and bought an XR tuned to 168 at the rear wheel.

And that was wasted on me too........ :)

Extra power will definitely be wasted on me - but smoother power delivery due to the variable valve timing, particularly if it moderates the current rather abrupt on/off throttle transition will be most welcome.

Extra power will definitely be wasted on me - but smoother power delivery due to the variable valve timing, particularly if it moderates the current rather abrupt on/off throttle transition will be most welcome.

I totally understand - stressing it’s only my opinion but I think a lot of the on/off shenanigans is due to the fuelling to comply with Euro4. When I took my GSA back to a more ‘correct’ AFR with a simple gizmo it ran noticeably smoother. But yes I agree, if they can compensate for the lean running through valve gear then woohoo

I've ridden the latest LC and the KTM 1290 SAs

The power of the the KTM is not necessary on this type of bike............ but the torque is intoxicating!!

If the new LC gets a 10nm bump on torque as well, I think it could be pretty much ideal for this kind of bike.

Sent from a U11

I’ll second that! :thumb

1250cc with VVT as mentioned. The factory wanted 150bhp but has settled for 137. New bodywork as BMW has ceased making a host of accessories for the current MY17 model inc rad covers, headlight cover etc so a complete face lift I'm told. I also believe the TFT screen will be new bigger with more features and inc SATNAV built in and not on a phone app as current but that is unconfirmed.My local dealer has no GS's to sell between now and the launch so I guess it's ready to roll.

Why settling for 137 hp if they wanted 150 ? I don't get it...Euro-5...so they don't have to cut the output for Mj 2021 when bikes will run even leaner & quieter...? I hope the EU dies before and we go back to euro-3...:D
137 is better than 125 and more torque is always appreciated but KTM and Ducati will still have 15 or so more rwhp it this is true...:(
Oh well life is a chain full of disappointments...;)

Jeff at Hilltop removed any stutteryness from the LC ;)

I wonder if I’d kept the alli panniers from my twin cam whether they might just fit the 1250 if BMW swap sides again :blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom