BRITISH NATIONAL GRID and NAV VI / V

septikangel

Reaction score
Anyone else use British National Grid on their Nav VI?
Any BNG ref. input, appears to be out by quite a bit to the east when used.
Puts me in a different street / location entirely than the one I need.
Post codes appear to be working correctly, but the associated BNG ref. for any post code is otherwise shown to the West in a different location.
Have spoken with Garmin who accept there is a software issue and that BNG needs updating on the VI.
When???
Can't tell me :nenau
How often do they update these things?
Can't tell me :nenau
So my VI is currently useless to me and was bought brand new with the bike in early July.
Wonder how far it will skim/skip across a pond.
Dealer is trying to be helpful and offering a Nav V in exchange :-X
Does BNG work okay on Nav V's?

Seems to work on the Nav V, although you do need an 8 figure grid reference. Tried the example for the old OS office in Southampton and it seemed to be in the right place. Could try a specific grid if you want :)

Seems to work on the Nav V, although you do need an 8 figure grid reference. Tried the example for the old OS office in Southampton and it seemed to be in the right place. Could try a specific grid if you want :)

Hi casbar and thanks for your reply.
Are you saying the NavV ONLY accepts an eight figure reference on British National Grid input?
At least with a ten figure input I believe your 'find' area to be about 10mtrs sq.
So with a 12 figure input, I'm gonna find my sought location to within about a metre.
I think?
Anyway, it would be much appreciated if you could try a specific grid ref for me.
SD 42932 10416 (or SD 429 104? )
In my first pic below is my old and trusty Garmin ZUMO 550.
The above BNG 12 figure coordinates put me right in the middle of the roundabout on the A59 between High Lane and Liverpool Road South, Burscough, Lancashire.
The second pic shows my current BMW Nav VI, but those same coordinates put me in Abbey lane about 150metres to the East of the roundabout.
The third pic is of the same location, same coordinates, sited in the middle of the roundabout as shown on gridreferencefinder.com
Guessing if you only input eight digits, your not gonna be in the middle of the roundabout, probably to its left which I've seen when I tried just eight digits on my Zumo.
Thanks for helping, would love to know if others have the same issue or am I the only one to have used British National Grid on a NavVI??:confused:

Attachments

• 20180807_100320.jpg
    20180807_100320.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 284
  • 20180807_100155.jpg
    20180807_100155.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 290
  • 20180807_100202.jpg
    20180807_100202.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 291
It does take a 12 digit grid. But I have just put your coordinates into my Nav V and it looks different to the Nav VI, so I guess it doesn't work.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.jpg
    IMG_1585.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 293
Update for anyone wanting to use British National Grid coordinates on Nav V or VI.
Directly input to either Nav V or Nav VI, BNG will not show the location you seek with any accuracy.
This problem will prevail until Garmin complete their 'promised' software update on the problem.
However, after conversation on another forum, a friend has indicated that while he has similar issues, locating the BNG location in basecamp, creating a waypoint and then transferring to your Nav unit, will place the required coordinates in the correct location on your Nav V or VI map.
I can confirm that appears to be the case, so happy days :beerjug:

UPDATE

PRODUCT SUPPORT FROM GARMIN
have just informed me....
........due to the low amount of occurrences of this issue we will not be looking into a resolution for this.....
So, if like me, you're a British national grid user with the BMW Nav 6, Gamin appear to be admitting it doesn't work, but won't do anything about it.

A search brought this thread up so I’ll add.

Coordinates D,M,S are about a couple of mile or so off on my Nav VI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom