I would like to upgrade my headlights to LED on a UK specification 2013 oil cooled BM

Bob Wilson

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade my headlights to LED on a UK specification 2013 oil cooled BMW R1200 GS Adventure.
I am considering buying a unit from the USA which is advertised as ‘plug and play’ no modifications needed using existing mounts and electrical connections.

1. Does anyone know of any proven reasons why this cannot be done?
2. It is advertised as a suitable LED headlight for a UK specification 2013 oil cooled BMW R1200 GS Adventure?
3. Are there any other control modules or modifications that need to be bought or extra work done?
4. Do you know of issues that have caused any malfunctions with the electrical system because of fitting the LED light?

Many thanks Bob

Welcome Bob. There are loads of people on here who can help. I can’t see what make of bulb you are thinking of. You need to be more specific to get an accurate answer. JJH

Bob - there are units available in US on Amazon that are complete, including one that looks like the latest LC headlamps for the oil cooled bikes. Quite expensive. A contact of mine in Panama bought one - around $450?
My concern is that it’s stupid dear, chances are it may not have a decent beam pattern and fairly certain it won’t have a ‘UK’ left dip pattern.
The man in Panama fitted his and well, he says it’s good but I’m feeling it’s maybe not as good as he thought for the money.
Why spend huge amounts when you can fit powerful leds into your existing lamp for £25?
You need to modify the dust caps at the rear of the bulbs as you need more ‘space’ but they work well without any canbus issues.
I’ve fitted many, never any issue at MoT but if there was - you just fit a bulb back in.
With the Chinesium ‘headlamp’ you’re paying through the nose and it’s might do could do should do.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the £25 pair of leds don’t produce a stronger light output as well...
You pays your money and...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to upgrade my headlights to LED on a UK specification 2013 oil cooled BMW R1200 GS Adventure.
I am considering buying a unit from the USA which is advertised as ‘plug and play’ no modifications needed using existing mounts and electrical connections.

Would that be Cyclops by any chance?

I researched this for some time and went with Cyclops on my bike. They are not cheap but I wanted proper quality units that were truly plug and play and with decent beam patterns.

I've not been disappointed at all. No mods needed doing other than mounting the small sealed units each bulb comes with (resistors?) within they headlamp shell, they are about the size of a small box of matches.

The light output is truly bright and being a whiter colour temp than halogen picks out road markings and cats eyes better. Beam pattern is the same as halogen but brighter (ie no scattering of light) and I had to adjust the beam down a bit lower but only by a bit.

My bike's a KTM but Cyclops do full 'kits' for GS's (as well as many other bikes).

HTH

Andres

I use a Cyclops bulb in the 950SE, brilliant and simple solution.

no one is listening to the op,the guy in america offers a l\c headlamp altered with correct wiring and mounts to retrofit to a hexhead,(unless of course i got it wrong as well)

no one is listening to the op,the guy in america offers a l\c headlamp altered with correct wiring and mounts to retrofit to a hexhead,(unless of course i got it wrong as well)

But who is THE guy? He is looking for answers with a vague question about led lamps. Not unless you can decipher the exact seller of these lamps from the information in his post. I can’t and that’s why I asked for more information. Even if he posted a link to the ad. Point 2 in his post makes a statement (it is ) then has a ? Is he telling us or asking us? As far as I know there is a flat low beam which makes a lamp do either left or right but without knowing exactly what he’s buying it’s hard to give accurate advice. Even if it’s the best bargain in the world in the USA it might prove expensive when shipping import duty and vat are paid. JJH

Or mabey I’m getting it wrong. Wouldn’t be the first time. Ahem. JJH

+1 for cyclops. No extra wiring or mod needed. It is a bit of a squeeze to fit into the original light but perfectly doable. And it is brilliant. It got me on the TC to Tibet and Thailand through some pitch black night rides in mountain storms... I was extremely glad to have the cyclops fitted. It does make the original two 'fog lights' next to it look a bit yellow and feeble though. So that is my next upgrade but still looking into that.
Highly recommended

Back
Top Bottom