Michelin PR5 Trail

probably had correct pressures in yours, those worn ones clearly didnt.

No checked my pressures every morning , 2.5 and 2.9 using a tested guage as advised by Michelin .
This is a basic thing I do every ride and as you can see I dont cruse around , its Spain you ride fast searching for the next buzz , I dont look at the scenery , just the next corner.:thumb2:thumb2
To add do you really think that I would not notice a tyre at low pressure , basics....

... its Spain you ride fast searching for the next buzz , I dont look at the scenery , just the next corner.:thumb2:thumb2

Then what's the point of going all that way when what you really need is a track? If you're doing that to your tyres on public roads, it's time to do the rest of the road users a favour and stop doing it.

Boxer , the CR3 has a flatter profile than the PR5 see below.
The rear is more like a front than a rear , way different from the CR. In the back ground you can see a Road tec rear ( okay used ) but profile is similar to the CR
And to add there is no way I could go lower without digging the pegs in , most roads in Spain as you know have such good camber as well .

I found I started scraping pegs once I fit the Roadtec 01, never happened with the PR4

I've read the opposite advice, that is to keep looking outside. Only possible in the daytime, but I think the theory is if your brain can see the horizon moving then that movement will agree with what the balance organs in your ears are saying, so brain is happy and stomach contents stay down. However if the messages from eyes and ears disagree, as when your visual frame of reference is the unmoving (relative to you) interior of the boat, but your ears say you are pitching about, then nausea results.

You are correct in the theory that motion sickness arises from a conflict between reference frames, but not in your interpretation.

The body uses proprioceptive, vestibular (auditory) and visual feedback to compute where the body reference frame wrt to a world frame. If the feedback is taken wrt to the boat/ship world frame, there is no conflict. If the feedback is split between a moving boat/ship world frame and a horizon world frame, conflict occurs.

Where your interpretation is incorrect is that the vestibular feedback would be wrt to a boat/ship in the same (moving) world frame as the other feedback, assuming the visual feedback is taken wrt respect to the boat, not the horizon.

So the short of it is, if you're prone to motion-sickness, don't look out of the window!

I always knew those years of studying for a phd in cognition and posture control would pay off someday....

Then what's the point of going all that way when what you really need is a track? If you're doing that to your tyres on public roads, it's time to do the rest of the road users a favour and stop doing it.

If I was to track again , it would be on a track bike more suited to the repetition of session after session.
Spain has no repetition , just different roads after different roads allowing the joy of riding my bike how I wish to hour after hour , as you do.
Its a free world , you can pootle or have fun , I choose the latter.

I found I started scraping pegs once I fit the Roadtec 01, never happened with the PR4

The Road tec 01 were great but the front I found under braking squirmed around a bit to much for me , great grip and as you say you could scrap the pegs.
The PR5 was constant scrapping not the occasional touch
The new PR5 has a different updated profile to the old PR4 , more sport than touring.

Only just scrubbing in my roadtec's but my first observation is they offer a remarkedly more comfortable ride over the Anakee 3s. Seem to have a lot less tread depth from new however?

Do you use those pressures for 1-up/2-up/luggage etc.?

They are the correct pressures (according to the manual). BMW used to publish a higher and a lower pressures depending on what you were doing now they have that set single figure for the tires.
I don’t know if that’s because they found riders weren’t adjusting the pressure as circumstances changed, owners complaining tires were under/over inflated after a service or that the self adjusting suspension prefers a set single pressure

I was running one up , minimal luggage (BMW small soft bag) , most days no luggage as based in one area , so wash and go.
The pressures I use I have always used with all brands of tyres .
Recently did a Euro tour with the wife , two up full varios and used the same pressures with the Roadtec 01 .
Mines a 16 plate so still has the option to choose the settings on suspension.
This pressure set up has been the same on all my LC bikes from 2013 onwards as per manual and on the rear body sticker.
I checked with Michelin about the pressures and they said the manufactures recommendations were correct.

You could scrape the pegs already in 2013 with Mezeler Tourance Next.Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 were even better lasting longer and quicker steering.Metzeler Roadtec 01 better in the rain.Continental Road Attack 3 very quick steering,stable,very predictable and super sticky.With a light mileage penalty compared to the Pirelli.Tried the PR5 on a friends R1200S yesterday.I.M.H.O. the Pilot Sport 2CT from 10 years ago felt better as in quicker steering and more grip.But I don't trust Michelins anyways because they don't give you warning.They stick and then let go without warning...Had my fair share of crashes on them.Only brand worse is Bridgestone.Too quick to wear out and dangerous when wet...my experience.

You could scrape the pegs already in 2013 with Mezeler Tourance Next.Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 were even better lasting longer and quicker steering.Metzeler Roadtec 01 better in the rain.Continental Road Attack 3 very quick steering,stable,very predictable and super sticky.With a light mileage penalty compared to the Pirelli.Tried the PR5 on a friends R1200S yesterday.I.M.H.O. the Pilot Sport 2CT from 10 years ago felt better as in quicker steering and more grip.But I don't trust Michelins anyways because they don't give you warning.They stick and then let go without warning...Had my fair share of crashes on them.Only brand worse is Bridgestone.Too quick to wear out and dangerous when wet...my experience.

OK.….I give in

Can you post some photos to show us some of your experiences with different tyres, Stick was good enough to go out ride and show, please do the same.

Can you post some photos to show us some of your experiences with different tyres, Stick was good enough to go out ride and show, please do the same.[/QUOT
Thanks , I have done different post on tyres , this one perhaps a little more as I had a good test bed ( for me ) to show for some a datum for others to work from.
I have tried many tyres and the PR5 is great , but as you can see when ridden hard over a short trip , wear fast.
Given the same ride but more conservative approach the tyres would have lasted longer , but stiil would have worn more than I would have expected.
The Conti TA2 for me is still a great tyre but the new generations of tyres now being developed will overcome the evolution in the current market of bike updates and I hope , we will have a tyre that gives a sporting edge without the need for wet weather design as for some trips are based on good weather and dry roads.
We may have a tyre choice to suit all soon.
Will give the Dunlop RS3 a go next as they seem a good option , lets see.

@Smogbob;tire pictures tell you nothing about how good or "fast" a tire is unless they are taken from racers who are running at the same day with same temperature conditions and lap times.
It is very easy to murder a tire in a short time and still are slow compared to a much smoother and faster guy who runs different lines,steers quicker,maybe even runs less lean angle but keeps his momentum and not hard on brakes or gas.Those tires will last much longer and look like they came from a slower rider...;)
Of course if you are a experienced track day rider and you run a GS with the available tires at a A-group pace they look murdered because these tires are not made for the temperatures they reach.They get hot,greasy and then can let go without warning because they are not made for that temperature window.Sticks tires got worn but they did not overheat otherwise they would have been blue because on the street even running fast you can't reach medium to fast track pace.
That is why it would be nice if BMW would bring a 17" wheel option to be able to run track appropriate rubber and have a slightly quicker steering bike !
Stick never give up...:thumb
If you like the Michelins more power to you.
I just think currently the CRA3 are the cat's meho...;)

@Smogbob;tire pictures tell you nothing about how good or "fast" a tire is unless they are taken from racers who are running at the same day with same temperature conditions and lap times.
It is very easy to murder a tire in a short time and still are slow compared to a much smoother and faster guy who runs different lines,steers quicker,maybe even runs less lean angle but keeps his momentum and not hard on brakes or gas.Those tires will last much longer and look like they came from a slower rider...;)
Of course if you are a experienced track day rider and you run a GS with the available tires at a A-group pace they look murdered because these tires are not made for the temperatures they reach.They get hot,greasy and then can let go without warning because they are not made for that temperature window.Sticks tires got worn but they did not overheat otherwise they would have been blue because on the street even running fast you can't reach medium to fast track pace.
That is why it would be nice if BMW would bring a 17" wheel option to be able to run track appropriate rubber and have a slightly quicker steering bike !
Stick never give up...:thumb
If you like the Michelins more power to you.
I just think currently the CRA3 are the cat's meho...;)

Was just wondering...........

Back
Top Bottom