3 year warranty at last

dave hendy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Announced today

BMW Motorrad UK
BMW MOTORRAD INTRODUCES THREE-YEAR WARRANTY
BMW Motorrad has announced the immediate introduction of a three-year manufacturer’s warranty across its range, meaning that buyers of all BMW Motorcycles, from 01 August 2018 onwards, benefit from an additional twelve months peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s very good news, and the other manufacturers will have to follow suite now.

Can see this causing a massive fall in BMW sales in 2 years time with all those folks who change bikes just because they are terrified of having a it outside of the manufactures warranty ;)

Can see this causing a massive fall in BMW sales in 2 years time with all those folks who change bikes just because they are terrified of having a it outside of the manufactures warranty ;)

Not necessarily. If the other big manufacturers don’t start offering 3 year warranties, the extra year may be enough to entice people away from other brands. Plus the cost for the third year service may mysteriously rise! :augie

Suzuki started giving a 3 year warranty last year.

Not necessarily. If the other big manufacturers don’t start offering 3 year warranties, the extra year may be enough to entice people away from other brands. Plus the cost for the third year service may mysteriously rise! :augie

As you state they will claw the additional warranty cost back on the 3rd year service.

I dunno about that

If it is a 3 year manufacturers warranty then BMW can't insist on you having it dealer serviced

I dunno about that

If it is a 3 year manufacturers warranty then BMW can't insist on you having it dealer serviced

Think you'll find they could. The opt out for using independents who use factory parts etc, is an EU directive for cars only, motorcycles are not included.

At the prices of bikes these days this is long overdue, especially when cars costing less have had it in place for years and bikes do a lot less miles in general - I can't see this costing them a lot, but it's great for consumers who get caught out after 25 months and a problem occurs on a £20k bike.

Good one BMW.

James

Think you'll find they could. The opt out for using independents who use factory parts etc, is an EU directive for cars only, motorcycles are not included.

I beg to differ

Ask the question of a BMW Motorrad dealer. They would get fucked up the shitter if they tried to impose it :rolleyes:

If it was a BMW Motorrad 'Extended' Warranty then they could by putting it in the T's & C's but they don't even do that anymore :cool:

I beg to differ

Ask the question of a BMW Motorrad dealer. They would get fucked up the shitter if they tried to impose it :rolleyes:

If it was a BMW Motorrad 'Extended' Warranty then they could by putting it in the T's & C's but they don't even do that anymore :cool:

I believe they can. It’s not exactly a warranty at all. It’s a insurance policy with terms and conditions. JJH

I beg to differ

If you read my post, I said they "could" I didn't say they would, its not like a car, where its a directive. They could if they wanted to put servicing at a BMW dealer to fulfil the PCP agreement, or offer lower trade in prices for non dealer serviced bikes. Again, not saying they would :) The fact is, any warranty given is paid for by someone, probably in the new price of the vehicle.

BMW can't even insist on you having the first (600 mile) service done at a BMW Motorrad dealer and everyone knows that the dealer network will always chip you on the trade in value if it hasn't got a FBMWSH

They have to pay for your 'free' coffee & biscuits somehow :augie

BMW can't even insist on you having the first (600 mile) service done at a BMW Motorrad dealer and everyone knows that the dealer network will always chip you on the trade in value if it hasn't got a FBMWSH

They have to pay for your 'free' coffee & biscuits somehow :augie

I agree this is not totally clear cut, and that someone will foot the bill somewhere, but looking at bikes costing north of £20k in many cases I don't think the extra you pay at BMW is too high for getting it covered for three years? If you pay an extra £100 for a BMW service it's only £300 over 3 years - on a £20k bike - it's a no brainer to me.

I just got my Porsche transfer box replaced under warranty when I put it in for it's first MOT this week and asked the Porsche dealer to go through it with a fine tooth comb as the warranty runs out in 3 weeks - it saver my over £3k in repairs - boy was I glad I had it serviced regularly by them, even though it was more expencive, there was no messing or arguing, it was shipped from Germany overnight and returned to me the next day - brilliant and stress free.

James

Back
Top Bottom