Regatta Great Outdoors.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hilliberg - who’s good for a discount?

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I think the 2GT would be perfect if I were under 6ft, but that extra 4 inches makes all the difference ….. right ladies?

But you're right about the Akto, just too snug for anything other than kipping in - Even reading a book is awkward with the roof so close to your face.
    I still do a one nighter in mine a couple of times a year - Get in loving it & get out hating it.

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    I think the 2GT would be perfect if I were under 6ft, but that extra 4 inches makes all the difference ….. right ladies?

But you're right about the Akto, just too snug for anything other than kipping in - Even reading a book is awkward with the roof so close to your face.
    I still do a one nighter in mine a couple of times a year - Get in loving it & get out hating it.
    I agree, but if your not a giant the Akto is fine, I'm 5ft 8 and think there is plenty of room, but then I also use bivvy bags, so maybe not a good recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I agree, but if your not a giant the Akto is fine, I'm 5ft 8 and think there is plenty of room, but then I also use bivvy bags, so maybe not a good recommendation
    Perhaps you were a chrysalis is a past life.
    KEA

I have a Vango 250 which has a great vestibule area almost as big as the inner tent area.

When it is raining I open the downwind door on the porch, fold back a corner of the porch groundsheet and cook with the gas stove on the ground. The base of the stove gets too hot to place on the groundsheet.

The vestibule end of this tent is great for when the weather is crap. I also have the lower Helinox seat which I can sit on within the vestibule area without my head touching the tent.
    Anyone riding slower than you is an idiot, and anyone riding faster than you is a maniac

I like that tent Smug, similar layout to the Nammatj 2gt but with the added benefit of an opening either side, useful when the wind changes.
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    I like that tent Smug, similar layout to the Nammatj 2gt but with the added benefit of an opening either side, useful when the wind changes.
    I have the older inner pitch version of this called the Lightwave T2 Trek XT

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...-xt-tent-p1226

The new T20 Trail can be pitched anyway you like!

My mate has the G20 Trek XT, but we both agree the tunnel is the better tent.

Great tents, and nothing comes with a stronger floor than Lightwave.

Quote Originally Posted by bod View Post
    I have the older inner pitch version of this called the Lightwave T2 Trek XT

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...-xt-tent-p1226

The new T20 Trail can be pitched anyway you like!

My mate has the G20 Trek XT, but we both agree the tunnel is the better tent.

Great tents, and nothing comes with a stronger floor than Lightwave.
    Can that be assembled in the pouring rain without getting the inner wet ? It looks like the poles are integral to the inner design .

Just throw the flysheet over the inner while you thread the poles and go from there. Ok, it’s not easy on your own if it’s hammering it down and blowing a gale at the same time but when it’s like that I use the cords to stop the flysheet blowing away and just get on with it. If the inner gets a bit wet a microfibre towel will dry the floor out in a minute or two.

The major advantage of a tent that pitches inner first is that in warmer climates you can leave the flysheet off or of you’re a proper pikey like me you can pitch the inner in a bus shelter or similar because essentially they’re free standing. I’ve used mine under all kinds of shelters when I’ve been away and the ground is soaking wet and muddy and not packing away a muddy tent makes a lot of difference if you’re away for a few days.

Unless you’re dead set on a Hilleberg (which is understandable because they’re very good) it might be worth looking at a Terra Nova Quasar because they’re rock solid, have two vestibules and if you’re really worried about space to store bike kit you can get one with an extended porch.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe narvey View Post
    Can that be assembled in the pouring rain without getting the inner wet ? It looks like the poles are integral to the inner design .
    The Trail can be pitched inner first through the inner tent or all in one through the flysheet.

Given the time and conditions I would inner every time as you can split the tent between 2 people, shake out and dry a soaked fly .. and it's stronger.

My 10 year old Trek is inner pitch only, and after nearly losing a siliconized and very slippery flysheet to The Minch on a stormy Hebridean night, I decided to go down the Hilleberg route …. but my old Lightwave inner first feels as tight as a drum and flap free in comparison.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12