Hilliberg - who’s good for a discount?

I like that tent Smug, similar layout to the Nammatj 2gt but with the added benefit of an opening either side, useful when the wind changes.

I like that tent Smug, similar layout to the Nammatj 2gt but with the added benefit of an opening either side, useful when the wind changes.

I have the older inner pitch version of this called the Lightwave T2 Trek XT

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c.../two-person-tents-c26/t20-trail-xt-tent-p1226

The new T20 Trail can be pitched anyway you like!

My mate has the G20 Trek XT, but we both agree the tunnel is the better tent.

Great tents, and nothing comes with a stronger floor than Lightwave.

I have the older inner pitch version of this called the Lightwave T2 Trek XT

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.c.../two-person-tents-c26/t20-trail-xt-tent-p1226

The new T20 Trail can be pitched anyway you like!

My mate has the G20 Trek XT, but we both agree the tunnel is the better tent.

Great tents, and nothing comes with a stronger floor than Lightwave.

Can that be assembled in the pouring rain without getting the inner wet ? It looks like the poles are integral to the inner design .

Just throw the flysheet over the inner while you thread the poles and go from there. Ok, it’s not easy on your own if it’s hammering it down and blowing a gale at the same time but when it’s like that I use the cords to stop the flysheet blowing away and just get on with it. If the inner gets a bit wet a microfibre towel will dry the floor out in a minute or two.

The major advantage of a tent that pitches inner first is that in warmer climates you can leave the flysheet off or of you’re a proper pikey like me you can pitch the inner in a bus shelter or similar because essentially they’re free standing. I’ve used mine under all kinds of shelters when I’ve been away and the ground is soaking wet and muddy and not packing away a muddy tent makes a lot of difference if you’re away for a few days.

Unless you’re dead set on a Hilleberg (which is understandable because they’re very good) it might be worth looking at a Terra Nova Quasar because they’re rock solid, have two vestibules and if you’re really worried about space to store bike kit you can get one with an extended porch.

Can that be assembled in the pouring rain without getting the inner wet ? It looks like the poles are integral to the inner design .

The Trail can be pitched inner first through the inner tent or all in one through the flysheet.

Given the time and conditions I would inner every time as you can split the tent between 2 people, shake out and dry a soaked fly .. and it's stronger.

My 10 year old Trek is inner pitch only, and after nearly losing a siliconized and very slippery flysheet to The Minch on a stormy Hebridean night, I decided to go down the Hilleberg route …. but my old Lightwave inner first feels as tight as a drum and flap free in comparison.

I’m looking for a Hilleberg Soulo with a footprint, haven’t found any offers yet other than a free footprint from Taunton Leisure, anyone spotted a deal ?

Gave in and ordered from Taunton Leisure

I have just got a Staika from Open Air Cambridge with a 15% discount and footprint.
Took it up the field last night and put it up as it was getting dark.
230cm long and 105cm high, I can sit bolt upright in it.
It all seems a bit weird with everything at funny angles after so many years in tunnel tents. But after a few stormy Islay nights on sandy/stoney ground, I decided I needed a freestanding tent for those tricky pitches.
When you actually narrow it down & eliminate the poofy beach shelters, there really isn't much choice.
Fjallraven Keb Dome looked okay, but at near Hilleberg money. Other than that it's the Allak, Staika or Soulo unless you want to go inner first or flimsy.

I have just got a Staika from Open Air Cambridge with a 15% discount and footprint.
Took it up the field last night and put it up as it was getting dark.
230cm long and 105cm high, I can sit bolt upright in it.
It all seems a bit weird with everything at funny angles after so many years in tunnel tents. But after a few stormy Islay nights on sandy/stoney ground, I decided I needed a freestanding tent for those tricky pitches.
When you actually narrow it down & eliminate the poofy beach shelters, there really isn't much choice.
Fjallraven Keb Dome looked okay, but at near Hilleberg money. Other than that it's the Allak, Staika or Soulo unless you want to go inner first or flimsy.

Love my Staika! IMHO it's the perfect combination of size and weight for a bike trip.

Attachments

• 197.jpg
    197.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 206
Thanks for putting up a photo, as I said it was nearly dark when I threw mine up!
An interesting point is they would only do me the best price in green, and said the demand for sand had caught them out this year.
Any preference in pole order … I instinctively put the crossover (white sleeve I think) last and highest?

. Any preference in pole order … I instinctively put the crossover (white sleeve I think) last and highest?

Yes, always start with the one that is lined up across the line of clips right the way over (including the clip at the very top) . IIRC its blue. The order of the other two doesn't really matter after that.

Back
Top Bottom