Seat height

bogg

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve got a 2012 GSA and not being so tall can just reach the ground with my toes.
Normal roads I can cope with but irregular surfaces can result in me not being able to hold up the bike and having to let it fall down.
I’ve had the seat reshaped as much as possible already.
Does anyone have any ideas as to how this can be changed so I have more stability?
The springs will be shortened next week getting me closer to the ground by another 3cm and leaving another 4cm to be found somewhere!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

If it’s that big a gap then don’t fight it - slide off the seat slightly to the most appropriate side when you stop so you get a good footing but still have your leg over ready to move off again.

Or ... https://youtu.be/kRFyw57o_Ic

It all depends on what route you want to go, and how confident you are.

Forget height, it has nothing to do with feet down - inside leg is the biggest factor

I'm 5'5" with an inside leg of 28-29" (This is the most important measurement)

2004-2005 the seat heights were 840mm - 860mm (33"-33.9")

My 2006 has the following

Seat heights are STD - 850mm - 870mm (34.2"-33.5@) High 880mm - 900mm (34.6" - 35.4")

The Low seat height is 820mm (32.3")

Easy things to try -

1) Back of rear suspension preload to the minimum setting, and take rebound to the lowest setting - Front suspension should be on 2nd notch i believe

2) Fit low seat. - I dont know the part number,

This is my setup and it works for me. i can get tip - to balls of feet down when sitting normally, and if i do a little twist one foot flat on the floor.

To get on the bike i use sidestand and swing the bars fully to the right, it pitches the bike over and then i can swing my leg over like a hurdler.

With panniers on its the old goosestep, or drag them over the panniers lol.

I try not to park on a gradient, or heavy cambered roads,

but if have to, i'm not bothered about wheeling the bike to a more level area before getting on.

The other option is to use hyperpro springs, I believe they do up to a 30mm lowered spring front & rear.

Not sure how this would affect the handling though.

They used to do a low chassis bike, which had lowered suspension (i believe springs as well) -

Now the only way to get a low chassis biike is to have ESA & a low seat I havn't tried it so cant confirm

If you go down that route, let me know

Stop right foot down with left foot on the rest. This lets you slide across the seat just enough and puts the road camber in your favour.

IMO flat footing is over rated. The last bike I used that was comfortable flat foot had me constantly catching legs on the footrests.

If you need the bike lowering go to Wilbers.

I have a Wilbers 50mm lowering kit consisting of front and rear non ESA shocks and centre stand.
PM me for details if you're interested.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Okay thanks all for your input I’ll get the HyperPros put in and go from there!
And those higher soles might be an option as well!

A reworked seat profile with gel pad didn't work for me.

Try a sargent seat, they come up often in the for sale section. The seats have a wider/flatter arse pad but are narrower in the groin and lower than standard by about an inch. At first they seem too firm but on a long tour that firmness provides support, unlike the torturous slab the germans invented.

I'm 5'11'' but have a stumpy 29'' inseam, my sargent seat makes all the difference for me. I fitted Hyperpro lowering springs but they didn't feel right for my riding style so I refitted OE springs and changed the seat instead.

I still have the Hyperpro GSA 40mm lowering springs for ESA shocks in my garage if you need some but I think they are for earlier shocks ( either showa or WP I can't remember which).

Fit a standard gs front seat

Attachments

• seat 1.jpg
    seat 1.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 390
  • seat 2.jpg
    seat 2.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 407
Stop right foot down with left foot on the rest. This lets you slide across the seat just enough and puts the road camber in your favour.

IMO flat footing is over rated. The last bike I used that was comfortable flat foot had me constantly catching legs on the footrests.

If you need the bike lowering go to Wilbers.
You didn't notice that he is in Holland did you?,
Reverse what he said , though because you need to put the other foot down it will make it more difficult to stop and select neutral or to select first gear to pu!l away, lowered suspension and a lower seat will be the only option,

You didn't notice that he is in Holland did you?,
Reverse what he said , though because you need to put the other foot down it will make it more difficult to stop and select neutral or to select first gear to pu!l away, lowered suspension and a lower seat will be the only option,

Haha all GSA ‚s are the same! But ur right about the suspension and seat!

Haha all GSA ‚s are the same! But ur right about the suspension and seat!

That's not what I meant, I was referring to him saying about using the road camber to your advantage, as it goes away the other way it!l make it less useful in getting a bit more road under your foot,

That's not what I meant, I was referring to him saying about using the road camber to your advantage, as it goes away the other way it!l make it less useful in getting a bit more road under your foot,

Good thinking!

wilbers do an ESA Lowering kit, not cheap, but the suspension is probably due for replacement anyway, this should take around 30mm out of the seat height and will really improve the bike.

wilbers do an ESA Lowering kit, not cheap, but the suspension is probably due for replacement anyway, this should take around 30mm out of the seat height and will really improve the bike.

I’m getting HyperPro springs put in and they guarantee 4cm drop in height with little to no noticeable difference in performance, They also noted that my seat had not been hollowed out properly and that I would get another 2cm by cutting out the sides. That should bring me down 6cm of the 7 I need!

Seriously, wear boots with a thicker sole. You could get a cobbler to add an half inch to the sole on the boots you have now, for example.

Seriously, wear boots with a thicker sole. You could get a cobbler to add an half inch to the sole on the boots you have now, for example.

Yes it'll look really cool adding 2 inches to some DM boots :blast

Back
Top Bottom