Tall riders on the 800gs screen solution?

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Been reading tons of threads and info over the past week or so still no closer to deciding hence the thread.

In love with the 800 just gotta find a solution that gets the wind noise / buffeting a bit better.

Ordered a Wunderlich Vario Ergo 3d splitter and it seemed to do nothing to help matters an in one position after pulling onto the motorway it was killing and ended up laid up last night with neck ache oops felt like a waste of 100 quid unfortunately.

Just wondering for anyone over 6ft 2 with a torso length belt buckle to top of head: about 34 inches.

Fancied the Desertio 3 but they arnt getting back regarding stock so that's that ruled out for now
Has anyone tried the normal Puig for the F800GS or the BMW touring screen :)

My initial thoughts are the following options,

1) try and retrofit the GSA screen with the cross member bar

2) Bmw touring screen (not sure if the Nav IV cradle can be mounted to the support bar)

3) Bar mount an maybe the puig with the splitter on it

4) GSA cross member with the Puig adjustable screen for the GSA800

What do we all think everyone?

Looks like this is the main issue to try and sort out on the F800GS up for the challenge though over the moon with the rest of the bike :beerjug:

Thanks in advance

Tom

I'm just about 6' tried the touring screen didnt work for me wind wise but niceley supported so no flex, metal mule didnt work and flexing annoyed me now have and wont change from wunderlich/isotta 2 piece sliding thing.. not everyone likes them but fully extended its like having a clear slab in front of you and works for me. If i travel any distance off road i drop it to the bottom.. flexes/clangs a bit on the bumpy stuff but i can live with it

cheers mate I just ordered the puig adjustable one gonna try and retrofit it this week :D

I am a 6' 1" and regarding wind-noise, I would not rule-out the wind coming off the mirrors that passes the sides of your head either.

I have an Isotta screen (400mm from top of headlight to top of screen version) with the smaller MRA Spoiler fitted, it is good to eliminate buffeting but I still get noise by the ears.
I just fitted the larger adjustable MRA X-creen Touring instead of the smaller one, but it does not seem to have made too much improvement so far.

With either spoiler fitted I can feel air heading from the inside of the mirrors in towards the sides of the helmet.
I have ordered mirror-extenders now to see if they might improve it.

Interesting you mention the mirrors,I had a CB1000f once and it was THE noisiest bike I have ever ridden.

Took the mirrors off and silence!.

I have a tall Givi screen on my newly bought 800GSA. It works well for me at 6 ft,previous owner was 6ft 5.
Out of curiosity I refitted the OE screen,soon swapped it back though!

I fitted an eagle screen - awesome addition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ended up retrofitting the puig screen worked perfect along with the nav bar :)

I'm gonna do a video about what you need and don't to fit the puig alot less parts needed than the bmw gsa800 full screen as the puig comes with a few bits.

Another Screen Combination

First of all I am only 5'11", but I only have a 30" inseam so you may say I tend to sit fairly tall on a bike. The combination I have really been pleased with is the Givi Airflow screen with a MRA X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade mounted to it. The Give Airflow works pretty nicely alone, but I still was experiencing some buffeting on my helmet. The MRA X-Creen provided enough height so I now don't have the buffeting on my helmet.

I finished the system off by making some air deflectors out of some clear polycarbonate and mounted them on my handguard bars to keep the wind off of my shoulders. The air deflectors look a little cheesy, but as the Fall weather is getting cold and wet, the system is doing a good job keeping the weather off me.:hide

Back
Top Bottom