Gopro Hero 6 and external powerbank findings

Deleted account 191119001

Reaction score
Been trying out some different scenarios to get a bit more battery life from my Gopro Hero 6, with 128gb card, well here are my findings, with the normal battery inside the gopro, roughly get about 1hr and 50 minutes record time at 2.7k and 60fps, and unit gets lightly warm, then removed the gopro battery and plugged the Gopro directly into a small anker powerbank 10000 mah Gopro then records until the end of the 128gb card, but unit gets quite warm a lot more than with standard battery inserted, but obviously if this was on the bike, the wind would cool it down, so now I am basically going to order a Optimate dual USB din socket, and use the auxillary socket with a USB-C cable to power the Gopro, this way no messing around changing batteries, however, not to be done in the rain, as the Gopro will not be waterproof due to side door open for cable, so basically I see the battery must be removed to use the power from another source, otherwise Gopro stops recording when the battery is empty if you leave it inside the Gopro, and only then does the external power source start charging the battery inside the Gopro, but you would not have seen that the Gopro had stopped recording.

Second test using just external powerbank Anker, and Gopro battery removed, Gopro gave warning saying battery nearly empty, however Anker was still nearly fully charged, the plot thickens, must make more tests.

So latest update, camera froze after about 45 minutes of extra recording with the external Anker and OEM battery inside, maybe a heat problem and shutdown for security, I need to try the auxillary socket and USB cable when on the bike with cool wind to see if that helps, however when I restarted the Gopro the Anker had recharged the battery to 17%.

On my 3+ Black. I powered the GP and the remote from the bike battery.
Bought the leads on Ebay. The unit did not heat up.

So latest update, camera froze after about 45 minutes of extra recording with the external Anker and OEM battery inside, maybe a heat problem and shutdown for security, I need to try the auxillary socket and USB cable when on the bike with cool wind to see if that helps, however when I restarted the Gopro the Anker had recharged the battery to 17%.
Were you filming in 4k mode ?

When recording at all 3 4k 2.7k and 1080 if you leave it to record on a table until the end of the battery, them little Gopro 6 get nice and warm, obviously like I said on the bike wind will cool it down, will see over the week-end what it does up the mountain in cooler wind.

Back
Top Bottom