New 1090 R maybe ???

newbuild100

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Guys . .Re the Adventure R 1090(or even the non R) that KTM re selling for under 11k at the moment. .has anyone got a comparision with the GS beemers at all. I run a BM at present and just about tempted with these new "R's" that ktm are selling cheapish. I can see plus's and minus's for both bikes

Anyone got any opinions either way before I part with some cash ????

Thank you.

I looked at them back in June when the £10899 otr offer for the 1090R started, tempting

But most were old stock 17 bikes and unsold - I was expecting by end of June that they'd all be sold, but it appears they are not

Thinking aloud, it must mean that KTM must have (or have had) a shedload of them to flog off

That begs the question............if it's such a brilliant bike, then why hasn't it sold?

Down the line, it will affect residuals..............but if the doesn't bother you, jump in

I didn't though

I have asked if they are old stock and the dealers are saying no. One or two of them cant understand why KTM are selling cheap themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think the 1090 has had any upgrades since the launch so can't see it being a problem with lower residuals if it turns out it is a 2017 bike.

Make sure you get a good long test ride and see if they suit you!

Mate has the old 1050 which he really rates - 1090 has an extra 30bhp :D

Much as I love KTM's they do have a habit of discounting the bikes heavily come winter - my old 1190S was discounted by £3k, and even my latest 1290SAS had £2k knocked of it when I bought it back in Jan. Therefore make sure you get a good deal or wait for the bigger discounts to come along ;)

1090s are great at current money, a simpler machine with no changes to spec since launch so does not matter much.

I love my 1090S, as does the Mrs (Who took it for a 3,000 mile lap of the French Alps and back) and at less dosh than Hondas 30BHP weedier Africa Twin are great value, and unlike the Honda the KTM does not seem to be water soluble, the paintwork is much cheaper than my 1190 (which is awesome quality) but the rest of the build quality is very good.

Probably the best off-road bike in that size / power / price range by a large margin.

I have asked if they are old stock and the dealers are saying no. One or two of them cant understand why KTM are selling cheap themselves !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a KTM VIN decoder available, if it is, then simply decode it and it’ll tell you exactly where and when it was built.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Make sure you get a good long test ride and see if they suit you!

Mate has the old 1050 which he really rates - 1090 has an extra 30bhp :D

Much as I love KTM's they do have a habit of discounting the bikes heavily come winter - my old 1190S was discounted by £3k, and even my latest 1290SAS had £2k knocked of it when I bought it back in Jan. Therefore make sure you get a good deal or wait for the bigger discounts to come along ;)

Very true, come November and they sell them off at vat free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having had a 1050 for a year I went back to a GS.

My real world observation is the 1050/1090 spins up quick and is rev happy..I prefer the torque of the GS.

Apart from that - great machines.

Oh, and budget for a power parts Gel seat... the stock one is awful.

I changed from my second GS LC to an 1090s in May... does exactly what it says on paper... lighter, handles better, quicker, and simpler. Needs a few extras more than the gs from stock...

If you like to bumble around handy and go on massive tours, the gs is a great bike and will do the fun stuff good enough.

If you like something that really gives the fizz, great on day trips and short tours and good enough for a long one, get the KTM.

I really just wanted a change, I loved the GS. But the KTM is exactly what I want right now, savage fun!

Also find the 1090 better on mpg and rear tyre. The gs had the edge with comfort and wind protection.

Also, just buy the ktm, if you don’t fancy it, flog it, and buy a good second hand gs again, the prices are falling cause there’s such a huge second hand market due to pcp bikes flying out the door...

Unlike the 1190 & 1290 before it there seems a kind of muted interest in this bike.
The 1050 was haunted with the "entry 'beginner A2 licience tag and lack of power and the 1090 not has not really generated massive interest amongst the KTM cognoscenti.
Only real positives are that its "good value" when compared to rivals offerings.
Consider that the 1190,s when discontinued were sold at a 3K discount so actually still less than current discounted 1090, as said KTM must have over estimated the demand for this one
Which got me thinking , The recent 5K discount offered on the 1290 GT what a deal that was. Used bikes still fetching more than the 11K these were sold at.
I dont recall the discounting of the 1290 Super Adventure T when the new 1290 S/R was launched, did I miss something ? Vat free ?
Would have been interested in what the two riders on here on their recent European jolly thought comparing the old 1290 Twith new 1290,s

In light of the above
The 1090R is too dear then at £10899
Cheapest I was offered was £10500
Local dealer wouldn't budge
No discount on bits either and it needs a centre stand and bash plate as a
Minimum and that's nigh on £340
Not such a cheap bike

I went from a GS to a 1190R and think R800's appraisal (post #11) is fairly accurate.

Unlike most I have no problem with the standard 'bench' seat on the R but my wife did so I got a 2nd hand 2 part seat (haven't a clue what make?) and lowered the pillion foot rests and she now rates the comfort as 8-9/10 compared to 10/10 for the old GS.
Bottom line is she's more than happy to do whatever miles on it now but notices and prefers the ride 'dynamics' :)

I have not ridden a 1090 but by all accounts they are fairly similar to the 1190 (just missing the insane top end rush of the 1190) and nothing like the castrated 1050's were.
If I were in the market for a replacement for my 1190R I'd almost certainly go for one of these, the 1290R holds no particular appeal for me. I value the (relative) simplicity of the 1090 and it's looks...............I also know it's essentially the same as my 1190 so it's a damn good bike :)

As for all the discussion on money :rolleyes: Yeah, be aware that KTM often do good deals at the 'end of the year' but FFS it's a motorbike, not the family car! It's something you buy with your heart.............

If you want it and can afford it buy it. If not don't. Whether it represents 'value for money' (whatever that's supposed to mean :nenau) is totally irrelevant........... JFDI, life's too short :hippy

Andres

Well said Andres! Just buy it, a change is great and I promise you it’s a hoot!!!

I also wouldn’t want the 1290... iv driven them back to back on my usual roads and I couldn’t see why I would buy the 1290 over the 1090, bit onviously that’s just what I like... I did have a big issue with the headlight/front end on the 1290, I personally think it’s grotesque.

I did some 3rd gear and 4th gear roll ons on my 1090 against a 1190s... the 1190 pulled an initial gap of about a meter, then the 1090 couldn’t be lost until we ran out of road... this wasn’t a big main road and I’m sure the top end of the 1190 would come through if given the space... but the 1090 would absolutely destroy the 1200GS.

I find the 1090s really exciting, never felt I needed more, and I do feel I can really ring its neck a bit and get a lot out of it.

Main reason for not going for the R was I wanted a road bike, and I now realise I was sick of cleaning spokes so that was a nice bonus. The cast 19 also feels great in the road.

Andres is pretty much spot on in all he says in his post above, but I would certainly look at a 1290 as a replacement for my 1190 as it's 100 bigger so must be better :)

Got a 1090 and 1190S, the 1090 is almost 1190 matching off the bottom, I really cannot tell much difference sub 4k, but at 4k the 1190 starts pulling more strongly where the 1090 continues in a linear manner until about 5k where it goes a shade flat briefly - whilst the 1190 is still pulling harder and harder, once its throat clears the 1090 has a good top end - and as stated is much quicker than any GS.

I rarely need any more power than the 1090 gives when solo, and it is quite good fun having to rev it a bit more, with the 1190 I very rarely use the top end.

The 1290 has a fair bit more low down than the 1190, but not much more up top (seat of pants testing).

For solo use the 1090 is very good, the lack of all the crap that can go wrong on the 1290 (TFT / Keyless / Dynamic etc) is a bonus IMO, and at about £4k cheaper it is a lot of bike for the money.

If the small flat spot bothers anyone Hilltop can remove it for a few hundred quid, but out of the crate it is stronger through the range than the larger BMW lump, but does have a much lighter "inertia" to it and it does feel less relaxed when going slow (i.e. UK national speed limit) - which is what the GS does very well.

Back
Top Bottom