Ktm 1190 or 1290 r?

cbrgaz

Reaction score
I currently have an R1200gs lc adventure TE and I'm considering moving over to ktm.
My question is are either the 1190 or 1290 adventure r any good 2 up and with luggage?
Also what's seat comfort like for rider and pillion, I hear the powerparts seats are a good upgrade.

I'd love to hear feedback from owners.

Thanks in advance

Garry

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Hi Garry. My mate has just gone over to an 1190 ad R. To be honest if comfort is your primary consideration then I’d maybe stick with the gs. The 1190 is much more powerful and will do the job but is more of a big dirt bike than a comfortable tourer like the gs. You’ll have fun in other areas however....

I have the 1190 and after test riding the latest GS I would say the Beemer is slightly better comfort wise but way down on power on either of the KTM's, so if you tend to pootle about 2-up the GS is probably better but if your passenger likes to get a lick on I'd go for the Katoom. I have the Powerparts seats and they're pretty cheap to buy and an excellent upgrade, meaning they're as comfy as the GS, it's just the BMW seems to have a little more space between rider and pillion.
I go away every September with the wife on the back, full luggage, no problem. 1500 miles last year across the Picos and venturing down into Portugal this time. Most days I've planned about 5 hours riding and she's okay with that as long as she gets to stretch her legs every couple of hours, which would apply on any bike.

The good thing with the KTM is that you'll be b a bit more unique........and they both go like feck, so that will satisfy your wild side!

Thanks for the feedback, it makes for interesting reading.
I use my bike for commuting every day and occasional weekends away...... Then usually a 4 week jolly around Europe once a year.
I've yet to find a bike that super comfy, but by the sounds of it the ktm would fit the bill.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Garry

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I have an 1190S, it is a stonking bike, tested a couple of LC GS Models and they feel really weedy with a huge hole in the mid range, I also have a 1090S which has as much low-mid range as the GS and a fair advantage up top. Basically engine wise the 1190 is far superior...

...and the 1290 is even more impressive, go and get a test on a 1290R, as it basically an upgraded 1190 you will be able to try the riding position etc and pillion room and it will apply to either the 1190 or 1290 (or 1090 for that matter) just ignore the stock seat comfort, it is woeful on every KTM I have tried, the Power Parts seats are fine, I find my KTM's with the PP seats excellent for hours in the saddle.

I do think the GS will edge it in the pillion comfort stakes, but it is much heavier, far less powerful, has that hole in the power delivery just where you tend to want some torque and the damn things are everywhere, on balance I think the KTM has a lot of plus points.

The 1290 has a couple of good points over the 1190 with the extra torque and cruise control, also has a keyless ignition and TFT Screen - but I am old school and would rather it did not

I tour with with the missus + luggage on an 1190R. Works fine and she loves it, even says its more comfy than our old Hexhead 1200GSA. She might not be so happy if she had longer legs though?

It does feel like a big dirt bike as gebrauchtwagen83 said earlier, albeit a dirt bike with shit loads of poke, decent brakes and the ability to corner hard without weaving all over the shop.The 1190S is not so accomplished 2-up IME due to softer/cheaper suspension setup. Probably depends how *well nourished* you are and how much luggage you take.

The only bike I'd swap mine for is a 1290R.

Back
Top Bottom