1290 GT side case damage.

Billy Big Roy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folk.

Well I totally f*cked up my left case today. I had a small scratch on the black plastic part, so purchased some 7000, 5000, 3000 grit sandpaper and attempted to polish it out with disastrous results!

The plastic now looks grey / white, and has hundreds of fine scratches all over the plastic part.

I've tried a plastic polish on it, but to no avail.

Can the damage be repaired? If so, how?

Shame, you could get it sprayed black, obviously will have to do both sides. Incidentally, was looking at my GT panniers today, preparation for a trip to Spain next month and have decided to use my trusty Kreiga Bags instead.

Shame, you could get it sprayed black, obviously will have to do both sides. Incidentally, was looking at my GT panniers today, preparation for a trip to Spain next month and have decided to use my trusty Kreiga Bags instead.

You should use your panniers. Took mine to Monaco a few months ago, and they can be removed in seconds which is great after a long day in the saddle.

I'm going to buy new ones and stick mine on ebay in the hope I'll recover some ££££

Sounds odd, but ive heard that if you rub smooth peanut butter onto faded black plastic bumpers and polish off it restores the shine.

My guess is, it's the oil in the mix that brings up the shine

Hi folk.

Well I totally f*cked up my left case today. I had a small scratch on the black plastic part, so purchased some 7000, 5000, 3000 grit sandpaper and attempted to polish it out with disastrous results!

The plastic now looks grey / white, and has hundreds of fine scratches all over the plastic part.

I've tried a plastic polish on it, but to no avail.

Can the damage be repaired? If so, how?

Apply low heat from hair dryer or dedicated heat gun. Heat will turn grey/white plastic black again. Remember little but often rule......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should use your panniers. Took mine to Monaco a few months ago, and they can be removed in seconds which is great after a long day in the saddle.

I'm going to buy new ones and stick mine on ebay in the hope I'll recover some ££££

What inner bags did you use, they are not exactly a regular shape!

I’ve got the genuine KTM inner bags for mine and they fit well so there’s none of that lost space you get with some generic inner bags. I’ve no idea what they cost because my wife bought them for my birthday and though I tried them by filling them then bunging them in the panniers I’ve not actually used them in anger yet becase I prefer the Ventura pack for long weekends and I’ve yet to go on an extended break using the GT.

Back
Top Bottom