Issues with my GSA... any constructive help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
My experience with 2 of these engines is that they don’t use any oil at all. My GSA was run till 50,000 without any oil use.

My 1150's used up to 1lt for every 1000 miles, which was normal. All the rest have not used any oil at all. The running in process IMHO is key here.

My 1150's used up to 1lt for every 1000 miles, which was normal. All the rest have not used any oil at all. The running in process IMHO is key here.

Agreed. I also think that the liquid cooled models were built to a tighter tolerance as there was better temperature control. That’s just a guess. JJH

Its been to hilltop. It's running rich.the excess fuel has washed the oil off the bores and caused premature wear.the rings are fucked and the pistons are slapping about like a sausage in the Mersey tunnel.no warranty applies...:aidan

Can you imagine trying to get repair work or investigation on the machine under warranty knowing the above ? :hapybnce:

I think I would get it back to hilltop and if possible get the original mapping put back on as soon as bmw find out it has been tampered with its goodbye from them.

Ok ... let me start at the beginning..

I’ve got a 2016 GSA TB ... it’s been to hilltop and is fitted with a full Akro system.

It’s done just over 5000 miles ( I know it’s low but I only use it for trips really )

Whilst i was away in France during June this year I noticed how rattly it was to the point of calling into dealer in La Rochelle... they were concerned but could do nothing more than offer to get me recovered, I declined and finished my trip. It’s now been in Chester Motorad twice for assessment and adjustment of cam followers I think.

It is also using about 500ml of oil per 1000 miles... and I’ve gone through a number plate due oil/fuel/heat contamination.

It’s running very rich and the exhaust is very black and sooty, regardless of how I ride or how long a journey.

I’ve had the bike from New and ran it in the hard way ... using all the revs but not letting it labour in any gear. It’s always been run on the super fuel stuff.

So the latest is they think it might be valve seals and looking to possibly change them.

Any thoughts or had similar issues ?

Rev the bollocks off it from new - load or no load & you are asking for trouble, add a non- manufacturer re-map reap what you sew!

Ear we go........just need Engineer to put his 1 1/2p worth in now :rolleyes:

Don't you just love this forum :D

Andres

Yep and i'm prepared to bet a shiny pound coin that the problem with Andys bike is fuck all to do with the improvements he made

Its a BMW they break

The future is RED

mine was Hilltopped from brand new along with Full Akra...Dropped the oil from new and changed to Motul 300v 15-50w it runs perfect, it runs quieter than my Mates 14 Reg which sounds like a bag of shite

If changing valve seals you can use the Indian rope trick which allows you to change the seals without removing the heads. Remove spark plug feed rope in with piston at bottom of bore. Turn engine to bring piston up the bore squashing the rope up against the valves. Also used compressed air. I haven’t seen the exposed valve gear on the l/c but it’s worth a try if you end up having to do it yourself. I would be surprised if that’s the problem tough. JJH

Ok bit of clarity

I never reved the bollocks off it ... I gentle built up the revs( no where near the red line ) over a 1000 miles and 4 days... that is what I meant by the hard way, no pottering around towns just good open roads around NW. Then straight into dealer for first service.

The exhaust was supplied and fitted by Chester Motorad and they are fully aware of the work done at Hilltop, and they and many other dealers now send ECU,s to Geoff to be mapped.

There is no loss of power and the 2 technicians who did extended test rides over 4 days.... covering over 100 miles ( at my request) have both said it is one of the best performing LC they have ridden. There only comment was the very loud popping/ banging on the upshift using the assist at higher revs, which they put down to the exhaust. Topped the oil up so the glass was full which they said sorted the rattling !!!

I’ve just been and looked at the exhaust and it’s dirty/ dusty not oily dirty...

This is my 4th GSA but only my first LC.... all my other bikes were run in and set up the same way.

Think if I ever have the slightest problem with my bike the last place I will ask for advice is here, FFS you lot, the expert brain surgeons, the op was asking your opinion and help, if you do not know, better go and play with your toys.

Think if I ever have the slightest problem with my bike the last place I will ask for advice is here, FFS you lot, the expert brain surgeons, the op was asking your opinion and help, if you do not know, better go and play with your toys.

Do you know? Advice is given freely along with a bit of banter. Some good some not so. Most people realise that when they post questions. JJH

+1 above, and JJH banter is accepted and normally reserved for the B+B forum, the OP is really trying to find a solution to his problem.............:rob

If? Don’t you mean when?! :D

Let them have there fun ... whilst they are having a go at me there leaving someone else alone.

Yeah, good point, we need to get back to the 1250 thread. There’s work to be done over there. :D

Let them have there fun ... whilst they are having a go at me there leaving someone else alone.

There is the problem right there !
Their fun. They're leaving others alone. Perhaps you misread the manual and fooked the engine ?
🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom