Issues with my GSA... any constructive help appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebuyer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok ... let me start at the beginning..

I’ve got a 2016 GSA TB ... it’s been to hilltop and is fitted with a full Akro system.

It’s done just over 5000 miles ( I know it’s low but I only use it for trips really )

Whilst i was away in France during June this year I noticed how rattly it was to the point of calling into dealer in La Rochelle... they were concerned but could do nothing more than offer to get me recovered, I declined and finished my trip. It’s now been in Chester Motorad twice for assessment and adjustment of cam followers I think.

It is also using about 500ml of oil per 1000 miles... and I’ve gone through a number plate due oil/fuel/heat contamination.

It’s running very rich and the exhaust is very black and sooty, regardless of how I ride or how long a journey.

I’ve had the bike from New and ran it in the hard way ... using all the revs but not letting it labour in any gear. It’s always been run on the super fuel stuff.

So the latest is they think it might be valve seals and looking to possibly change them.

Any thoughts or had similar issues ?

I thought I could smell a rich bike when we were away but assumed it must've been one of the HD's?

I'm struggling with linking excessive oil consumption with overly rich mixture with a rattly engine though.

Knackered valve seals obliviously = oil consumption but not rattles. Even if the guides were worn I don't think you'd get a rattle?

Are you sure it's running rich? Could the 'soot' be oil, does she smoke at all (I don't recall ever noticing her smoke)?

A rattle could, well, be anything. Can you tell where it's coming from (top end, front casing etc)?

I'm at a bit of a loss............sorry, that really wasn't very helpful was it!

Andres

I know what it is :rob

5000 on a 16..... Use it man, Trips you say ? I've got 7k on my bike i bought in April. All trips abroad.

HOWEVER...... I wonder how many people on here will agree that running it in using "all the revs" is a good idea. Im sure BMW know a thing or two about "running in" ......... not going past 5000 revs, until 1000 miles etc etc

Its fooked :D

Ok

I’ve had the bike from New and ran it in the hard way ... using all the revs but not letting it labour in any gear. It’s always been run on the super fuel stuff.

Probably not a good idea to state on a public forum that you ignored BMW's running-in instructions (<5000 RPM) whilst attempting to pursue a warranty claim against them!

Modified exhaust, modified ecu, run in like a race bike and now its fooked.

Which of course has little or nothing to do with the symptoms

Hill top gets the bike fuelled correctly so the valves dont burn out due to over lean to meet emission regs

Decat exhaust system by approved after market maker which helps the bike breathe properly / better

Run in in a manner I and many many others would call properly I.E full revs, not thrashed and not allowed to labour. Doing it this way will prevent the bores from glazing.

Which of course has little or nothing to do with the symptoms

Hill top gets the bike fuelled correctly so the valves dont burn out due to over lean to meet emission regs

Decat exhaust system by approved after market maker which helps the bike breathe properly / better

Run in in a manner I and many many others would call properly I.E full revs, not thrashed and not allowed to labour. Doing it this way will prevent the bores from glazing.

well something has fooked it....... :blast

And although you like what he's done, it goes against the grain.......:confused:

The future’s bright, the future’s............ :aidan

well something has fooked it....... :blast

Yep The shitty parts made in China or of cheap chinese steel

the twat that built it late on a friday ?

Or the accountant that pinched a few pennies and increased BMW profit

Its a BMW and they dont build them like they used to is my diagnosis

Yep The shitty parts made in China or of cheap chinese steel

the twat that built it late on a friday ?

Or the accountant that pinched a few pennies and increased BMW profit

Its a BMW and they dont build them like they used to is my diagnosis

really.....:blast

My Constructive advice would be, not to do any of the above on his next bike.

really.....:blast

My Constructive advice would be, not to do any of the above on his next bike.

Yes really !

There are dozens and dozens of bods ( possibly hundreds) who have done all the things mentioned without issue.

Myself included on both the GS TC and LC ADV that i owned

Yes really !

There are dozens and dozens of bods ( possibly hundreds) who have done all the things mentioned without issue.

Myself included on both the GS TC and LC ADV that i owned

which is my point.
Do some research. Look at the figures of 100% happy owners against those with issues. The majority posted on forums like this one.
I've owned Gs's since 2000. Id like to think I have an experience in this field. Three GSA's in four years. No problems at all. Although I do follow the manufactures advice. :thumb

Ok ... let me start at the beginning..

I’ve got a 2016 GSA TB ... it’s been to hilltop and is fitted with a full Akro system.

It’s done just over 5000 miles ( I know it’s low but I only use it for trips really )

Whilst i was away in France during June this year I noticed how rattly it was to the point of calling into dealer in La Rochelle... they were concerned but could do nothing more than offer to get me recovered, I declined and finished my trip. It’s now been in Chester Motorad twice for assessment and adjustment of cam followers I think.

It is also using about 500ml of oil per 1000 miles... and I’ve gone through a number plate due oil/fuel/heat contamination.

It’s running very rich and the exhaust is very black and sooty, regardless of how I ride or how long a journey.

So the latest is they think it might be valve seals and looking to possibly change them.

Any thoughts or had similar issues ?
Constructive help? Here? You are an optimist.
Lambda sensors defective?
Dirty air filter?
Broken oil ring on one pot?

What do the spark plugs look like - are they both sooty/dirty?

Alan R

First of all worn valve seals will not make the bike rattly or run ritch. You don’t say anything about fuel consumption. My experience with 2 of these engines is that they don’t use any oil at all. My GSA was run till 50,000 without any oil use. Have you looked at the plugs? A compression test might show up something. Alas you can’t really do a wet test because of the way the barrels are lying. Do you notice any fall off in power? JJH

Its been to hilltop. It's running rich.the excess fuel has washed the oil off the bores and caused premature wear.the rings are fucked and the pistons are slapping about like a sausage in the Mersey tunnel.no warranty applies...:aidan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom