Looking at an 1150GS today - what should I look for?

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I'm going to look at an 1150GS this afternoon. It looks great in the pictures i've been sent, so i'm prepared to jump on a train to make a closer inspection.

I've bought enough bikes in the past to know the major generic things to look for. However, i'd hate to miss something obvious specific to the GS.

All I can think of (in no particular order) is...

1. Ticking from the left hand cam chain tensioner
2. Final drive - any issues/leaking/replacement
3. Play in the real wheel hub
4. ABS - is it fitted, does it work?
5. Oil changes in the transmission - when was it last done?

Are there any other GS-specific things I should be looking for?

All help appreciated!

Cheers
Mike

Look for any buckling in particular, or cracking of paint on the front wishbone. Either could be an indication of a front end impact at some time.

This bit, I can never remember if this is the tele-lever or the para-lever :blast someone will clarify soon. Just checked, it's the telelever .
73890d0586ba0b32b8ada12afcfa8720.jpg

Last edited:
Check the wiring and everything works electrically, speedo works etc

Get it hot and see if electric system works fine (Hall sensor)

Twinspark - coil sticks playing up??

Originality is the key and lack of corrosion, check under engine for it

Look to see if another owner has bodged, bolloxed or buggered the bike - plenty have

For me - low number of owners,provenance with lots of paperwork and records hold the key

Check the engine for rumbling and the gearbox changes ok, with no lock up or whining is ok, a couple here have fallen foul of those issues lately - as the bikes age and owner records/provenance is sketchy

Don't worry about mileage if it's been regularly serviced, pampered and looked after

Go for one like this, that I purchased from here in July - 1 owner from new:thumb

Attachments

• IMG_5009.jpg
    IMG_5009.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5010.jpg
    IMG_5010.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_5017.jpg
    IMG_5017.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 236
On mine, the original outer rubber wire cable sheathing had all perished and needed to wrap them up with fabric tape.
Check brake disk bobbins for wear.
Does ABS work or been removed.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

Remember, there are others out there if this one is not the one.

However, for the the right price, everything if fixable if it's not quite right. You should have seen mine when I bought it! :thumby:

Remember, there are others out there if this one is not the one.

However, for the the right price, everything if fixable if it's not quite right. You should have seen mine when I bought it! :thumby:

Indeed, I looked at 3-4 1150 GSA's before buying this one above

Check the wiring and everything works electrically, speedo works etc

Get it hot and see if electric system works fine (Hall sensor)

Twinspark - coil sticks playing up??

Originality is the key and lack of corrosion, check under engine for it

Look to see if another owner has bodged, bolloxed or buggered the bike - plenty have

For me - low number of owners,provenance with lots of paperwork and records hold the key

Check the engine for rumbling and the gearbox changes ok, with no lock up or whining is ok, a couple here have fallen foul of those issues lately - as the bikes age and owner records/provenance is sketchy

Don't worry about mileage if it's been regularly serviced, pampered and looked after

Go for one like this, that I purchased from here in July - 1 owner from new:thumb

Thanks for the tips guys!

You’re right Johnny, that GSA looks immaculate...but beyond my meagre budget! Is that an Ohlins peeping out?

And everything CAN be fixed - especially over the winter ! It’s what I did with my last one - kept me out of trouble until the sun came out again!

The one I’m off to see has done 40k miles, with only 600 miles in the last four years.... lots of paperwork and MOT’d last weekend. Looks to be a solid bike but I’ll know more by 6pm! Sat at the train station now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tips guys!

You’re right Johnny, that GSA looks immaculate...but beyond my meagre budget! Is that an Ohlins peeping out?

And everything CAN be fixed - especially over the winter ! It’s what I did with my last one - kept me out of trouble until the sun came out again!

The one I’m off to see has done 40k miles, with only 600 miles in the last four years.... lots of paperwork and MOT’d last weekend. Looks to be a solid bike but I’ll know more by 6pm! Sat at the train station now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck, bon voyage

Yep Ohlins and it's very nice, even nicer now with some detailing from myself

Yes check gearbox.....ive just bought a 02 gsa.6 owners.the bike is immaculate but the gearbox is fooked....

Back
Top Bottom