My ramblings relating to my Recent IAM experience.

Daffy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have been considering doing some sort of advanced riding course for probably 10 years now and have looked at IAM & Rospa over the years but never got so far as to approach either organisation.

Over the years I have done my research and didn't like the references to 'progress' as I thought that it might mean me being pushed to ride faster than I wanted, to clarify this point I mean pushed by myself rather than an observer or mentor.

To give a bit of perspective, I have been riding bikes since before my teens, I won scrambles at 500 senior level, competed in the Weston beach race twice, had road bikes on and off since I was 16 and solidly since 2000 and consider myself a safe rider who can keep up with most on the road given the right conditions.

Anyway, I finally went to Solent Advanced Motorcyclist group 'solent Sunday' at the beginning of June for a chat and a short observed ride, I then decided to spend my money and work toward an IAM pass.

It turned out I was doing lots of it anyway, the polishing involved a number of observed rides with Colin, we had a brief/debrief at either end of the ride where we discussed my ride and how I could modify my style, between rides I practiced and tried to implement improvements.

I had an assessment (like a mock test) with Lee and after positive feedback applied for my test which I took and passed on Monday.

What about the progressive bit I hear you say, well you are probably already doing it, it really means riding to the conditions but not exceeding the speed limit. A real example on my test was a very small country road that probably wasn't wide enough for a car and my bike to pass without slowing to an almost stop, it was a national speed limit with overgrown bushes on the bends. I probably didn't exceed 35mph over a mile or so - my original misconception was that I would be criticised for this as I was riding at half of the limit, I was mistaken.

The reason for my ramblings here is really to try to convince anyone sat on the fence that they should go for it as I have enjoyed my time, learnt a lot and got a confirmation of how good a rider I knew I was (the last bit is a joke) - I might also see a discount on my insurance next year.

Obviously these things are about people rather than the badge on your certificate and whilst I chose IAM over Rospa this was simply about logistics for me rather than a preference based on quality or anything else.

It's good to hear you had a good experience.

I did mine in 2003ish. I had a slightly different experience, but a good one in the end.

No matter who you go with, it all comes down to people being people. If you get good people who know how to train and advise, then the experience is good. When I did my training I had a different observer each week for a about 4 weeks all telling me conflicting stuff.

One week I'd be told to do a certain thing, then when I applied this with a different observer was told that I was doing it wrong and the method had changed and so on, until sitting with an observer in Macdonalds in Melton I nearly broke down with frustration after being told yet again, that I was doing it wrong. I'd resolved to give up. But this chap was something in the army or RAF and knew how to talk to people.

He told me that he would arrange for all the observers to meet and prepare a clear message to canditates, basically tell everyone to teach the same thing.

I was then given one observer for a few weeks who was brilliant and I passed.

So, like I said, it's all down to who it is.

As for the benefit, I would definitely suggest further training no matter who it's with especially if you haven't done anything since you passed your test.

I'm going to do my IAM for cars in my 60s or 70s as I'm now seeing my dad give up on life since not being able to drive, and if he'd attended a course 10 years ago, it may have prolonged his driving career.

Never stop learning. We can't all be Boxerlust!

You are correct, it is about how you get on with your observer, if his/her manner suits yours then its much easier, I was lucky that we just gelled, I don't think I would have been so successful if I has had a number of different observers.

In fairness to Solent they did stress that not everyone gets on with style of their allocated observer and they would find someone else if we didn't gel.

I am also doing IAM at Solent and had my mock test with Lee yesterday. He was brilliant. I made a biggish error early in the ride and my head went down. We discussed it, started again and I was encouraged to do the test, which I have applied for. I have only been for 4 observed rides and have been greatly encouraged by my observer Steve.

I was also concerned about the emphasis on making progress. My progress is a bit slower normally, but I accept that advanced riding includes being able to ride a bit quicker too, while still legal. It makes some overtakes tricky as you cannot speed during the process. No quick "up to 75 then back to 60" stuff. You are also encouraged to filter wherever possible and safe.

In all, I am finding it very useful and I've improved as a rider as a result. I'm not sure I want to buy into IAM long term yet though I haven't ruled it out.

Congratulations on passing Daffy and perhaps we will meet there some day soon.

Making progsess is just riding or driving.

Of course you are going to look for overtaking when you can. If you don't you're not up to standard. Sitting in traffic when it's safe to progress is not advanced riding it's just shit riding.

If you disagree with this, then find another thing to do.

It amazes me the amount of people who sign up for a set course and disagree with what is being taught or tested.
That is the game, if you don't want to play, that's also cool.

Of course you are going to look for overtaking when you can. If you don't you're not up to standard. Sitting in traffic when it's safe to progress is not advanced riding it's just shit riding.

It amazes me the amount of people who sign up for a set course and disagree with what is being taught or tested.

Funny you should say that, on my first run I kept getting told to accelerate faster. I was just out for a bimble and not riding with purpose. Didn't take long to learn that bit!

What was funny, having learned to ride in London, that in Nottingham, a trainee observer refused to follow me down a long filter at some traffic lights. Thought it was illegal until he was different by the uber observer.

Hope you SAM lads are thinking about joining us at SERV Wessex, your local blood bike group, always looking for volunteers :beer:

I don't think anyone has suggested that they disagree with it and I wouldn't call someones choice to sit in the traffic shit riding although do agree that its not 'the sytem', the point being made is that the references to 'making progress' and comments like 'if you disagree with this find something else to do' can be misinterpreted and put people off doing the advanced thing.

Isn't the point of training to improve the skills of the individual, even if that person finds they aren't capable of advance riding or passing the test they might learn some new skills that make them safer riders, thats a good thing isn't it?

I wasn't there but I was told that the IAM chief examiner was at one of the meetings recently and he stated that in the last 4 tests he had done there wasn't an opportunity for an overtake due to the absolute enforcement of the speed limits, although I did make 2 overtakes on my test, one was a slow car in a national and the other a couple of cars on the A34 going toward Winchester.

Thanks Bristolsaint, and good luck with yours, I'm not sure if I will buy into the IAM thing long term either but for now its been a positive experience, yep maybe see you at Solent sometime.

Unless it's changed, we were steered clear of the 3 letter riding assesment mob in favour of the 4 letter outfit.

The reasoning being the former, was a pass once and forget system. the latter is continual annual assesmesnts

So you could have major manwoble Rn rtd, who took it in nineteen oh dot on his bruff -norton commando triumph

with all of 0.25hp and resplendant flag waving manservant, trying to apply what he learnt then whilst sharing the road with modern sportsbikes

and other vehicular traffic found today.

So back then, he could have been the ace two wheeled cavalier, today he's the doddering old fart causing a huge tailback for driving up the

middle lane of the M1 at 25mph, but its ok cos he has an advanced driving/ riding ticket ;)

Unless it's changed, we were steered clear of the 3 letter riding assesment mob in favour of the 4 letter outfit.

The reasoning being the former, was a pass once and forget system. the latter is continual annual assesmesnts

So you could have major manwoble Rn rtd, who took it in nineteen oh dot on his bruff -norton commando triumph

with all of 0.25hp and resplendant flag waving manservant, trying to apply what he learnt then whilst sharing the road with modern sportsbikes

and other vehicular traffic found today.

So back then, he could have been the ace two wheeled cavalier, today he's the doddering old fart causing a huge tailback for driving up the

middle lane of the M1 at 25mph, but its ok cos he has an advanced driving/ riding ticket ;)

Things have changed, assume you mean RoSPA which is 5 letters :). RoSPA require a 3 yearly re-test and is a graded test, so you can achieve a Bronze, Silver or Gold. IAM initial test is a pass fail, but you can score a 1st if you have a perfect ride. You can then go on to do the Masters which is the next level up and the Masters is re-testable. The IAM are now also encouraging members to join the fellowship, which means you have a 3 yearly re-test like RoSPA, although many IAM members would not convert as they prefer the fire and forget membership. One last point, I took both tests and retook them both again in May as my 3 yearly RoSPA was due, so I used the IAM as a warm up :) The interesting thing was, there were people on the course I was on, who took both tests, some achieved a pass in IAM, but a Bronze in RoSPA, which shows the difference in a graded test, so to get a gold, you need a near perfect ride. Out of the two organisations though, I find the IAM are far more organised. But any advanced training is worth the effort :)

I didn't want to get into the IAM/RoSPA debate as its down to personal opinion although it is a good point that once passed the IAM is for life so you can pick up bad habits and not have the opportunity to correct them regularly.

The IAM also has a graded pass with the better ride being rated as a F1rst :JB

I think I have already made the point (but will make it again), I thought it wasn't for me but it has made me a better rider and I really enjoyed it so if your not sure go and talk to RoSPA or the IAM, hopefully other experience will be similar to mine.

I didn't want to get into the IAM/RoSPA debate as its down to personal opinion although it is a good point that once passed the IAM is for life so you can pick up bad habits and not have the opportunity to correct them regularly.

The IAM also has a graded pass with the better ride being rated as a F1rst :JB

I think I have already made the point (but will make it again), I thought it wasn't for me but it has made me a better rider and I really enjoyed it so if your not sure go and talk to RoSPA or the IAM, hopefully other experience will be similar to mine.

Within our blood bike group, if your not RoSPA, you have to have a check ride every 3 years with our assessor, to make sure standards are kept up. If you sign up for the IAM fellowship, then there will be a 3 yearly re-test, so that negates the check rides.

I don't think anyone has suggested that they disagree with it and I wouldn't call someones choice to sit in the traffic shit riding although do agree that its not 'the sytem', the point being made is that the references to 'making progress' and comments like 'if you disagree with this find something else to do' can be misinterpreted and put people off doing the advanced thing.

Isn't the point of training to improve the skills of the individual, even if that person finds they aren't capable of advance riding or passing the test they might learn some new skills that make them safer riders, thats a good thing isn't it?

I wasn't there but I was told that the IAM chief examiner was at one of the meetings recently and he stated that in the last 4 tests he had done there wasn't an opportunity for an overtake due to the absolute enforcement of the speed limits, although I did make 2 overtakes on my test, one was a slow car in a national and the other a couple of cars on the A34 going toward Winchester.

Thanks Bristolsaint, and good luck with yours, I'm not sure if I will buy into the IAM thing long term either but for now its been a positive experience, yep maybe see you at Solent sometime.

I agree but you do get the, I am happy where I am riding brigade turning up for observed rides, thinking they are in the right, despite being told otherwise.
These are the ones who should do something else.

Everyone should try it.

I even managed a first ;)

Rospa in the car, but that was carried across from police advanced.

I hope you're not an observer if this is your feedback style

I was surprised when they told me, if it's safe to do so, accelerate to the speed limit as quickly as possible.

Like I said, I used to bimble about, but, I thought, if that's what they want me to do, I'll do it their way. I can choose how I ride when I'm on my own.

You can't argue with them. If I wanted to ride differently and argue the point with the observers, then I don't do the training, otherwise, learn and adapt.

There is stuff I've learnt that will be just as useful on a bimble as it will be on an IAM style ride and I hope that it will stay as a part of my riding. It certainly will if I remain part of IAM and probably will anyway. The whole point of me attending was to improve my riding and I'm doing that.

I suspect that most riders would like to be better riders. Some do track days or wheelie schools, off roading or one to one training. Some do IAM or RoSPA. You pays yer money and makes yer choice. Others do nothing and don't improve.

I will look at Blood Bikes if (when) I pass my test.

Back
Top Bottom