Which year GSA to buy?

stanley

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading my "old" GSA twin cam in for a newer model. I know there are a lot of reasons to keep the TC.... But the miles are piling on and I fancy a change to a newer LC model. Still want a GSA though.

So, what model years are to be avoided or are more desirable? Is a 14 as good as a 17? Do I need any of the "improvements"?
Can't really afford, nor want, a brand new one.

So do I save money on a 14, or find the cash for a lightly used 18?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You can buy mine in September. 14 reg and will have about 25k on it. I'm thinking £10k is a good price selling privately. I'm serious. You can PM me for more details if you want.

The 14 reg bikes have weak heated handlebar grips. No problem if your riding is mainly in summer. I wear Held 2in1 gloves and don't have a problem with the abysmal heated grips on the odd cold day. The 15 reg models had that fixed and you can fit the upgraded grips to the 14 reg bike. The 16 reg I think had the improved gearbox design to make gear shifting less of an effort. 17 reg onwards have the TFT display and I believe the engine mapping has changed. Not that it matters if you hilltop it. Plenty of low mileage early bikes but buy on condition rather than miles I would say. There is some right dogs out there if you look closely. A slightly used 18 reg will set you back about 17k. You can have a think about what is important to you. The WC is also heavier than the Hexhead TC.

With the 2018 GSAs you may get the optional TFT screen and Dynamic ESA which are worth having although not worth paying too much extra for. However, many of the 2018 GSAs, including mine, have suffered from loose wheel spokes. My 2018 GSA has had a rear wheel replaced and the front wheel spokes re-tensioned recently and I'm far from convinced that will be the end of the problem because, according to reports on this forum, BMW may have changed wheel suppliers recently so the problem may occur again. For that reason and speaking personally I would steer clear of 2018 bikes and go for a good 2016 or 2017 model. I traded in a 2016 GSA for my 2018 bike and in truth, the 2018 GSA is not hugely different in the way it rides

2015 models see to be a good version, heated grips improved and no issues with spokes. They can also be had with Shift assist Pro, or it can be added if you require it.

2017 model with revised gearbox. Non TFT.

Great bike.

Re the updated heated grips, they were added on bikes after august 14 (build date). Mine is a late 14 plate with the updated grips from new.

One thing to think about is BMW offer 2 years warranty on most used bikes so an incentive to think about over a private sale. My bike is a late 14 and had 6900 miles when I got it. Cost just over £9400 from a BMW dealer with 2 years warranty, road assist etc. It's spotless pretty much so there are some keen prices out there.

My Brother has a 16 plate with some of the updates mentioned and other than the shift assist there is no real discernible difference over mine to ride. So me personally I would either get a 14 if it's a nice one and pocket the spare cash or bite the bullet and go straight for a fairly new one with the newest gearbox, and maybe TFT etc.

Get the newest you can afford. It’ll have the most updates from the factory ;)

Buy a 2016 if you want the last year of Euro-3 specs or if you want a black one with the upgrade slightly better shifting transmission get a 2017.Make sure the 2017 has had the BMW ECU update otherwise the Eu-4 will run weaker than the Eu-3...I have a triple black 2017 WITHOUT loose spokes,TFT or keyless...:D
Good bike but might make space for a 2019 1250 if the new engine feels significantly stronger !
Or a 17 inch wheel package becomes a factory option...;)

Buy a 2016 if you want the last year of Euro-3 specs or if you want a black one with the upgrade slightly better shifting transmission get a 2017.Make sure the 2017 has had the BMW ECU update otherwise the Eu-4 will run weaker than the Eu-3...I have a triple black 2017 WITHOUT loose spokes,TFT or keyless...:D
Good bike but might make space for a 2019 1250 if the new engine feels significantly stronger !
Or a 17 inch wheel package becomes a factory option...;)

We already know

2017 model with revised gearbox. Non TFT.

Great bike.

Yup, that's where my research led - the quick shift really works, plus the final drive is improved, it has lean angle sensitive abs, etc. They start post August 16 with the Euro 4 changes, although it's the build date you need not the registration date as there's a few older ones registered after that and the dealers either don't know or pretend not to. Decoding the VIN will reveal all but they are easiest to spot by the reflectors on the front forks.

The best combo would be a Euro3 bike with the '17 gearbox. I don't know if there were any made.
Go for a dealer bike to get the 2 year warranty, wait till Jan/feb and get a deal as they want to clear stock before the new reg trade in bikes come in.

Yup, that's where my research led - the quick shift really works, plus the final drive is improved, it has lean angle sensitive abs, etc. They start post August 16 with the Euro 4 changes, although it's the build date you need not the registration date as there's a few older ones registered after that and the dealers either don't know or pretend not to. Decoding the VIN will reveal all but they are easiest to spot by the reflectors on the front forks.

Unless you took the reflectors off, like mine :)

Thanks again for all of the replies.
I've done a deal..... I really fancied a 16/17 bike, but couldn't turn down the savings on an older one.
14 model, one owner, almost as new with 2k miles, ALL the gear, 2 year warranty, etc. Can't wait to collect it next weekend.

I'm only changing from the old TC bike because I had a big crash earlier this year (racing) and have some physical limitations since then. The lighter clutch of the LC bike swung it for me.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom