Nav V "Can't calculate route" and "Insufficient Route Memory"

Khulu

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm just back from a two week tour in Europe taking in the Austrian MotoGP. While setting up my route (pre-loaded) in the morning I got the above notifications. I tried deleting a few pre-loaded routes but still got the above. I also tried setting an address of where I wanted to go but still got the same messages. Have any of you had this and and how did you cure the problem?

TIA.

From memory, when you delete a route on your device, it doesn’t vanish entirely until you connect it to a home computer. This is a safety net, introduced by Garmin a few years ago, to stop bods deleting routes by accident and ruining their holiday.

From memory, when you delete a route on your device, it doesn’t vanish entirely until you connect it to a home computer. This is a safety net, introduced by Garmin a few years ago, to stop bods deleting routes by accident and ruining their holiday.

Many thanks, Richard, for moving this thread and your link reply. All my routes are normally full c. 400 mile day routes but I've always created them that way with only a few waypoints midway, etc. What is different this year is that I may have created some of the offending routes on Kurviger and converted the tracks to routes on Basecamp but that's just a guess. But, as I said, I got the same warnings with putting in an address search.
I had, as always, back-up options so I didn't do a "Nutty".

Thanks again,

Iain

No problem.

Something, whether it’s track history, old (undeleted) routes, routes created from third party software or summat else is filling the memory, for sure. A clean up using a pc should resolve the problem. Give it a go, then try running the troublesome route and trying an address search. Report back if that cures it..... and if it doesn’t.

Got a similar problem a few years back when travelling to the Italian lakes. Had not realised that at some point I had told it to avoid motorways. It was trying to calculate a route all through Switzerland, over the Alps and into Italy using just the minor roads. No wonder my it ran out of memory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

That’s a good suggestion about the settings, avoidances making the calculation impossibly long.

I don’t have a PC (I use a Mac) and am away at the moment.

Hopefully someone will be along to help. PM leedude03, who might be able to help you, perhaps? I know he uses a PC.

I don’t have a PC (I use a Mac) and am away at the moment.

Hopefully someone will be along to help. PM leedude03, who might be able to help you, perhaps? I know he uses a PC.

Thanks for your response Richard.

Not having the nav V i can not comment on its particular workings, Presuming you have the Nav V in mass storage mode the first thing you need to make sure if you are using a pc is that show hidden files and folders is active/ticked on your pc, go to control pannel and then to (if using windows 10) file explorer options, then click the view tab and make sure hidden files folders and drives is ticked. it will be similar steps if using windows 7 or 8.
The archive folder usually resides inside the gpx folder, your favourites you should be able to delete from the unit via the unit, someone else may confirm this (Richard) hope this helps

Not having the nav V i can not comment on its particular workings, Presuming you have the Nav V in mass storage mode the first thing you need to make sure if you are using a pc is that show hidden files and folders is active/ticked on your pc, go to control pannel and then to (if using windows 10) file explorer options, then click the view tab and make sure hidden files folders and drives is ticked. it will be similar steps if using windows 7 or 8.
The archive folder usually resides inside the gpx folder, your favourites you should be able to delete from the unit via the unit, someone else may confirm this (Richard) hope this helps

I'll check that out, many thanks.

Did you find them?

Can you now load routes and run them?

I haven't checked yet as I just back from two weeks in Italy - Florence, Rome and the MotoGP. I'll check this weekend and update you.

If you can share the troublesome route file here, by hosting it on something like Dropbox, we could have a go at seeing if we can load it up into Nav V / VI

I got the “Unable to calculate route” on way north through France a couple of weeks ago - but no memory shortage message.

Will need to plug it in to the PC and delete all the temp stuff

Back
Top Bottom