Kelly kettles and alternatives

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know Kelly kettles have been discussed on here before but there are quite a few other natural fuel burning options out there now so what do you wanna be preppers recommend?

I’ve got it into my head that I want to have a 10 day trip where I wild camp every other night but I don’t want to be carrying gas canisters and even though I like using my ancient Whisperlite stove if I’m honest it can be a pain in the arse if I don’t carry a clean fuel like Aspen 4T and worse than that the only simmer function is lifting the pan away :blast

Add on the fact that a Kelly will boil water as I cook the meal and they look like a good idea but is there anything better that runs on twigs and pine cones :nenau

There’s also the fact that burning natural resources is just a fun thing to do and it gives me an excuse to carry a small axe with me :thumb2

I've been looking at getting a 'lixada' stove for exactly this, but haven't got round to it yet.
Google it, the round one.
I think you should get one, and then let me know wether to bother or not.

I got a Kelly Kettle for my birthday a few years ago, with all of the accessories.

It's brilliant. It boils water in what seems like seconds. It's can be a bit disappointing. You're looking forward to stoking your fire, your just getting ready to build it up, and it's already boiling.

The stand works well. I've cooked a few meals on it and you can do decent meals

However, you'll need the dedicated pans as they'll get filthy, in fact, the whole thing gets very dirty, I suppose it depends what you burn.

The other downside of it is you can't turn it down. I hadn't really thought about it, but it's obviously not going to be as controllable as gas.

Worth using if you want to. Possibly take some dried twigs with you to get it started. You can also get some gel fuel tablets for them which can also help to keep it clean if you just want a quick cuppa.

If you want to use one do it, they're good fun, but I generally use my Trangia as it's quicker and more convenient. However, if I want the cooking to be an event, I can use the Kettle kit.

Oh, and the big one is massive. I've got the middle sized one but would consider the smaller one. Have a look at them and see what would suit. There's loads of videos by American youtubers to watch. Some hilarious. :)

I’ve got an MSR mini rocket gas stove which takes up next to no space so that and one cartridge would be going as well for those mornings when it’s pissing down with rain and getting out of a sleeping bag just seems like a crap idea.

I’ve also got a Jetboil stove that’s amazingly fast but it’s bulky for what it is and basically it’s a one trick pony because the pot part isn’t big enough to shove a boil in the bag meal in so the mini rocket gets used more and the bigger 2l pan has a second purpose at night when yet again it’s raining heavily :pissl

With stoves you already have and are comfortable with, you may find the KK a bit of a pain in the arse.

Try a night away with it to find out, before taking on a bigger trip. It takes up a lot of room when you've already got a convenient way of cooking. I'm not saying don't get one, as they really are a great bit of kit, but at least know what, why, how and possibly why not, before you head off.

Well I’ve been and bought one and given it the obligatory test run in the garden and it works well. For reasons only known to myself I bought a bigger one than originally intended but the guy in the shop said the extra weight makes them more stable and he’s tried all the varieties. Impulsive as ever I bought the attachment that means you can put a pan over the chimney along with the one that sits on the base and gives you the option of cooking over an open fire.

I think a set of cutters will be essential for cropping 1/2” diameter branches into 4” lengths to burn when using it as an open fire which is obviously what I’ll be doing when it starts to get dark and beer has been added but for simply boiling water even the smallest of twigs had it boiling water faster than the Trangia I retired a number of years ago.

I’ve ordered some of those eco fire starters that look like miniature mouse nests because apparently cutting them in two and using one piece lights the fire in even the worst of conditions and removes the need to grovel around looking for dry twigs. The obvious flaw in that plan is that if the weather’s that bad I’ll be in a hotel and not sitting under a tree getting piss wet through while I struggle to cook my dinner :D

Congratulations on your purchase. You've inspired me to take mine out again.

If you do use it in your hotel, remember to open the window. :D

Congratulations on your purchase. You've inspired me to take mine out again.

If you do use it in your hotel, remember to open the window. :D

Do you reckon I’ll get away with using my axe on the bedroom furniture if I end up in a hotel?

Interesting device I haven't seen one before ,wire wool makes a good fire starter too

Bit of scrunched-up newspaper and a squirt of barbecue lighting fluid gets mine going :thumb2

I’ve now got a box of 200 eco firestarters and of course that meant I had to fire the Kelly kettle up again so I can now confirm they work quite well. I’ll bung about 20 in a zip lock bag and stick them in the hollow part of the kettle so that if I need them they’ll be there.

I fear I’m turning into a prepper and roadkill recipes will be next on the agenda :barf

There is an alternative to the ubiquitous Kelly, it is the mkettle.

mkettle01.jpg

And has the advantage that an alcohol burner, i.e. Trangia, will fit in the bottom

mkettle07.jpg

It’s a good job you can never have too many stoves :D

I like the idea of using a Trangia burner under the Kelly because it’d mean I could use it inside my tent and leave the Jetboil at home so I may be experimenting with mine later today. All I’d need to do is possibly lift the burner a bit so it still got the wind assistance when used outside but was a little bit closer to the chimney and put the heat in quicker.

Top tip: When using your Kelly kettle do it near a water source as they get very dirty and this quickly transfers to you, your tent, your clothes etc.

The worst stove I own for gettting dirty and transferring soot to everything within 10’ is an MSR Whisperlite International which only improved when I started burning Aspen 4T rather than unleaded taken from the bike.

Back
Top Bottom