Engine vibes after a tyre change

JerseyNeil

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I had my old worn pair of Anakee 3s changed for a nice new pair of Continental trail Attack 2s on Tuesday.

Now I'm sure I am not imagining it but my 2017 GS Rallye seems more 'buzzy' since the new tyres have been fitted.

The vibration does not relate to road speed but to engine revs. I believe the wheels were well balanced as vibration does not increase at higher speed etc but I'm sure Im not imagining this......

I called the garage that fitted the tyres and asked if they had 'fiddled' with anything else explaining my concerns. They check with the tech and he confirms nothing done but tyre change. I have crawled around the bike to see if anything is out of place or trapped and found nothing. The performance and handling is exactly as before and the vibration is not very bad but definitely increased. The garage have offered to check it over (not a BMW dealer as my local one does not do tyres themselves) but I can't see that they will find anything either.

My question is....... Could the new rubber, being a different compound and new etc effect the damping effect of the bike on the road and cause this??????

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Neil

No Idea Fred........

Edit
Ah you mean when they are spinning? I believe they did but will check however this does not seem to me to be road speed related.

Could it be as the Anakee's are quite loud versus anything this side of a Pratt and Whitney, the noise isn't new it was just masked by the previous tyre noise.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

It could be a bit of that Dermot. The Trail Attack 2 are definitely quieter but that does not explain the engine vibes.

No Idea Fred........

Edit
Ah you mean when they are spinning? I believe they did but will check however this does not seem to me to be road speed related.

I had a 1cm oscillation in the bars after a front tyre change and the wheel wasn't balanced properly. Got it balanced properly and the oscillation and vibes went away.

I can’t see how this symptom as described can be related to a tyre issue if it’s not related to road speed. Does it do it when stationary in neutral?

One thing that may be worth considering is that when the rear tyre is changed with the bike in gear undoing the bolts rotates the wheel and drive train in the opposite direction to normal and this may have dislodged or moved something in the drive train? This would have to be after the clutch of course if it does it in neutral. It’s a long shot but it’s all I can think of and I mention it because I had a problem with my clutch in an earlier bike and rotating wheel backwards against the gears would sometimes alleviate it.

On a quiet road, Note* quiet road! for a second take your hands off the bars, if it shakes, duff Tyre. I had it on my old Twin cam GSA.

Had an issue while I was away recently, what felt like a wheel had lost its balance weights. Turned out to be crap fuel causing poor running.
Fresh tank of fuel and all was fine again.

Thanks all for your thoughts and experiences. I rode to work today as always and pulled the clutch in and coasted a bit. I think, contrary to my opening post, that there is a vibe coming from the wheels. I called the dealer and have arranged for it to go back in on Tuesday for a check over.

It is quite subtle but it’s definitely buzzing more than it has done in the last 8,000 miles.

Interesting.....

Hands off handle bars (on a private road...) no shake. I got up to speed descending a hill on the way to work today, pulled in the clutch, engine revs dropped, vibes through pegs and bars. I leant into a corner and vibes stop! every time I lean into a corner (either side) the vibration goes away. Going in on Tuesday but could this be a faulty tyre???

Interesting.....

Hands off handle bars (on a private road...) no shake. I got up to speed descending a hill on the way to work today, pulled in the clutch, engine revs dropped, vibes through pegs and bars. I leant into a corner and vibes stop! every time I lean into a corner (either side) the vibration goes away. Going in on Tuesday but could this be a faulty tyre???

My bet is yes Neil same as Shakey

Have had 2 dodgy front tyres over the years and both were Continental Trail Attacks ................ that said recently changed tyres on my GSA from Anakee 3's to Dunlop Trailsmart Max's and for the first 150 miles the front was very vibey and then settled down and has been fine and smooth since

Thanks for That Neil W.
I read your post early this morning on my phone. As a result I have been out and done some hard acceleration and heavy braking to see if this helps......

It has! The vibration has reduced noticeably. I have put 130 miles on them now and spoke to the dealer that fitted them. I have agreed to cancel my visit to them tomorrow and will put a few more miles on them before they start removing wheels etc. There is still some vibration but much less than yesterday and I can't see the point in undoing nuts and bolts and removing wheels if a bit more riding will resolve the issue.

Kept my options open with the dealer telling them I will be in touch if they don't settle down completely :thumb

I have fitted Conti Trail Attack2's previously on my TC without this issue but am prepared to persevere.

Thanks again

Neil

Thanks for That Neil W.
I read your post early this morning on my phone. As a result I have been out and done some hard acceleration and heavy braking to see if this helps......

It has! The vibration has reduced noticeably. I have put 130 miles on them now and spoke to the dealer that fitted them. I have agreed to cancel my visit to them tomorrow and will put a few more miles on them before they start removing wheels etc. There is still some vibration but much less than yesterday and I can't see the point in undoing nuts and bolts and removing wheels if a bit more riding will resolve the issue.

Kept my options open with the dealer telling them I will be in touch if they don't settle down completely :thumb

I have fitted Conti Trail Attack2's previously on my TC without this issue but am prepared to persevere.

Thanks again

Neil

Hope it all works out well, you should have gave them to stick to scrub in..........:green gri

Interesting.....

Mine does exactly the same thing. It was most noticeable on brand new tyres (Avon trail riders). 2k in and its not so obvious. Oddly enough when the last set got badly worn the same feeling came back.

Mine does exactly the same thing. It was most noticeable on brand new tyres (Avon trail riders). 2k in and its not so obvious. Oddly enough when the last set got badly worn the same feeling came back.

Nice early warning system, must change rear tyre when vibes come back. :D

Back
Top Bottom