Creak from rear of bike (04 1150gsa)

My Nushings took a week to come from the USA, which was quicker than I expected. They're cheaper than the bearings and I reckon they're more suited than bearings.

Took my GSA into the local indepdent today and he said both my bearings are not fit for purpose. R/H one completely collapsed and L/H one is rotten. Not what I need when I have a trip to Aberdeen with the Mrs planned tomorrow. Ordered the motoworks uprated ones as can't have no bike for a week. The grease nipples seem handy which saves taking it all apart to keep them greased.

Now, where can I find a loan bike for two days on the cheap around here. Doh.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Took my GSA into the local indepdent today and he said both my bearings are not fit for purpose. R/H one completely collapsed and L/H one is rotten. Not what I need when I have a trip to Aberdeen with the Mrs planned tomorrow. Ordered the motoworks uprated ones as can't have no bike for a week. The grease nipples seem handy which saves taking it all apart to keep them greased.

Now, where can I find a loan bike for two days on the cheap around here. Doh.

Mine started creaking at Newcastle last year while waiting at the ferry, had the torque re-checked at Koblenz by Motorrad on the way south, everything was fine but then slacked and re-tightened again away, creak went away for a while but came back next day.
Rode down into Albania and Macedonia carrying a spare set bought in Koblenz and then all the way home...fuel pump failed in Albania but that's another story, other than that they got us all the way round and they fell apart when I took them out. Helensburgh to Aberdeen would have been no problem :thumb.

They were new bearings fitted the previous winter and properly greased and adjusted ( best to ignore the torque setting ) so maybe just a bad one on the fixed pin side.

Don't try to pack grease into the M/works set using a grease gun as your likely to blow the back off the bushing !

Mine started creaking at Newcastle last year while waiting at the ferry, had the torque re-checked at Koblenz by Motorrad on the way south, everything was fine but then slacked and re-tightened again away, creak went away for a while but came back next day.
Rode down into Albania and Macedonia carrying a spare set bought in Koblenz and then all the way home...fuel pump failed in Albania but that's another story, other than that they got us all the way round and they fell apart when I took them out. Helensburgh to Aberdeen would have been no problem :thumb.

They were new bearings fitted the previous winter and properly greased and adjusted ( best to ignore the torque setting ) so maybe just a bad one on the fixed pin side.

Don't try to pack grease into the M/works set using a grease gun as your likely to blow the back off the bushing !
The local pretty much told me I can't have the bike back in that state as one was dangerous and the other collapsed as he removed it. I'm not trying to limp accross Africa, not worth doing more damage or potentially putting the Mrs is danger but I get your point. Figured I'd follow his 30 years of experience on the matter. Motoworks were brilliant and have sent one out for next day delivery however I'm having to resort to trains to Aberdeen. Woe is me.

So just a tiny bit of grease in the nipples? Should I be using the moly grease I have for FD splines?

Thanks for your input.

Just smear them with what you have at the moment as any surplus will get squeezed out, it's only if you try to pump more in at a later date and some folks have been over zealous in the past :D

Got the bike back today, no more creaking and general feel is great. Thanks for the advice and the pretty much instant bang on diagnosis by Steptoe.

Just smear them with what you have at the moment as any surplus will get squeezed out, it's only if you try to pump more in at a later date and some folks have been over zealous in the past :D

well put :D

As dodgy as it sounds, I've used a light squeeze from an oversize medical syringe and a short length of aquarium tubing with some success, about every 6k. The last time I had the FD off, they were still looking good after 30k+ (I have the - earlier I think - brass version) :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom