What would you CHANGE!

Thefishingplumber

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Have a brilliant Dakar, ticks lots of box’s, now s cross country which will morph a bit towards x challenge.
One thing I would really like and pay for is s lower first/ second gear.
I visited some old haunts a saw a hill that my old bsa 250 could go up 2 up. It would be pretty difficult on x country.
Had anyone ever made one, low ratio box?
What would you change?

Have a brilliant Dakar, ticks lots of box’s, now s cross country which will morph a bit towards x challenge.
One thing I would really like and pay for is s lower first/ second gear.
I visited some old haunts a saw a hill that my old bsa 250 could go up 2 up. It would be pretty difficult on x country.
Had anyone ever made one, low ratio box?
What would you change?

Why not change the front sprocket..
Far easier / cheaper than a gearbox.

Has someone put an extra tooth on the front sprocket to give the bike longer legs? That is what Ash and I have done to our X Country bikes. The Challenge uses a 15 tooth front sprocket, the Country has 16 teeth as standard. Therear is a 47 tooth, I don't know what the Challenge has on the back, bet it has more though.

As Ash has said, gear ratio is easy to change on chain driven bikes by just altering the ratio between sprockets.

I'm sure it's a 47 on the Xchallenge.
I think you can get a 14 front which would make it like a trialser, with more revs and less speed on the road.
lower 1st n 2nd for off road, higher top for road cruising but I don't think Quaife or Nova have spent much time thinking about 650 Rotax gear ratios, though some have been used for racing but they'd have wanted higher 1st n 2nd for on the circuits.(hoping not to do any off roading)

I too fitted a 1t larger front sprocket so worth a check.

The main thing was that pissy little fuel tank.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

I too fitted a 1t larger front sprocket so worth a check.

The main thing was that pissy little fuel tank.

Gives me 130 miles to fuel light, far enough for a breather nowadays! The most I squeezed out was 166.3 miles, then filled up and she took 8.4 litres, so I probably had another 15 or so miles had I needed it.

At 'normal' main road speeds I was always planning my next fuel, often around 100 mile range (low 50s mpg) so thinking about fuel at 70-80 miles.
Yes, they can be great on fuel when ridden accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom