Weather Advice

g.s.john

Getting old aint fer pussies
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Scotland in October what is the weather liable to be like?

Dont plan round the weather in Scotland as you can have 4 seasons in a day

The old saying up there is " if you dont like the weather now hang on 10 minutes and some more will be along"

Ive been in April and its been hot and sunny, Ive been in August when it was that cold the hotel lit its log fire.

Ive seen it snow and be minus 1 at the top of Belach na ba at the end of may

Ive been in june an ridden in the heaviest rain for a week that you could imagine

Actually I dont know why i keep going up there its so fucking miserable..............

September would normally be a better and more reliable month but - you might get decent weather in October but it is autumn so it should be cooling down and be a bit damp.

As said, a mix.

Many, many years ago I got married in September . . . I recall scraping ice off the cars in the morning.

You can never tell, plan for anything :thumb.

Bob.

if you have a smart phone then download an app called Weather & Radar.
This was recommended to me - as being better than the BBC or Met Office equivalents - by someone who works for the Met office :blast:D

At least it will help you to ride around the weather if needs be. Otherwise just slow down, relax and enjoy the "soft" weather.

Follow: Highlands and Islands Weather - on Facebook. Local chap with a network of weather stations who does an excellent localised forecast including the NC500

Serious question? What’s the weather going to be like in Scotland in October? There is no answer to that question any time of year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was asking for an average for example it will be a lot calmer than May.

Look, I just packed for Alaskan weather and got 32 degrees most days.
Pack for layered clothing, wear waterproof textile bike gear and just come and enjoy.

Where do you plan on visiting?

Look, I just packed for Alaskan weather and got 32 degrees most days.
Pack for layered clothing, wear waterproof textile bike gear and just come and enjoy.

Where do you plan on visiting?

Thank feck for gore-tex, i do all of the above i am going to JoG as part of a iron butt four corners the last time i tried it was in may 2013 it went from sunshine to horizontal snow flakes the size of a McDonalds burger hopefully the weather might be a bit calmer in October:nenau
Thanks for all the feedback might see some of you at Ullapool?

What day in October ? For a more accurate forecast

Which side of Scotland? Prevailing winds come from the west (ish) so usually if there's any rain around then for example Aberdeen will be dry, but Braemar and all points west are likely to be poring with rain. My forecast for October, likely to be windy, probably wet, might have frosts in the glens, and as it's past the equinox, less daylight than southern areas.

Back
Top Bottom