Holiday tool kit

As an aside, not teaching the suck eggs thing but photo copies of...

Passport
V5
Insurance docs
MOT
E111

All taped to the underside of your seat in a plastic bag.

Passport
V5
Insurance docs
MOT
E111

Already covered though they’re normally in the tankbag which I take off and carry with me whenever I’m off the bike.

On older bikes I always carried a Venhill emergency cable repair kit but it’s a bit pointless on the KTM so that’s sitting on the garage floor looking distinctly unloved.

Ditch the puncture repair kit/pump and get some of this in your tyres.

Bike-Seal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gakUu1PhIs

Oh, and have a great trip!

D.

I had that in my tyres 2 tyre changes ago and contrary to the nay sayers comments the tyre fitters had no problems changing tyres, didn’t complain and didn’t have any issues. It also didn’t affect the TPS.

I feel so unprepared now :(

Bike's toolkit.

Puncture kit.

Chain lube.

Credit card.

Passport
V5
Insurance docs
MOT
E111

Warranty number and phone numbers to call them

Travel insurance policy number and assist number

laminated instructions to short the side stand sensor, photo and pin out.

Those suggesting a head torch are of course right so I’ve removed one from my van. I’ll still take the normal torch because it’s got a much better beam than the head torch but for every other job a head torch is better.

I’d never thought about using cotton wool to bind the JB weld but that’s a good idea so I’ll bung a small amount in.

I’ve just found a small pack of muck off hand wipes for cleaning oil off my digits before putting gloves back on again so that’s in the bag.

I’d never thought about using cotton wool to bind the JB weld but that’s a good idea so I’ll bung a small amount in.

I used araldite and cotton wool to seal a huge hole in my airhead rocker cover while away in europe.

Lasted for years until i managed to pick up a replacement cover for a decent price (this was in the eighties, pre ebay).

Warranty number and phone numbers to call them

Travel insurance policy number and assist number

laminated instructions to short the side stand sensor, photo and pin out.

The warranty instructions had me panicking for 5 minutes because I checked my wallet and there was the nice orange card but unfortunately it was the one for my old 1190 :blast

After I’d looked in the owners briefcase I sat and pondered it for a minute then realised it could only be in the tank bag and there it was :D

The warranty instructions had me panicking for 5 minutes because I checked my wallet and there was the nice orange card but unfortunately it was the one for my old 1190 :blast

After I’d looked in the owners briefcase I sat and pondered it for a minute then realised it could only be in the tank bag and there it was :D

Make sure the call out numbers are international not free phone.

KTM have what they call Mobility Service which is actually very comprehensive and much more clearly defined than the recovery I used to get through CN. The best part is that if any parts aren’t available locally they’ll fly them in at no cost to the owner. I’m aiming to go to places where KTM dealers are goin to be a bit thin on the ground away from capital cities so that alone is worth having.

Last year I paid to have a new radiator air freighted to me to get me moving faster and it cost me £80 for a 24 hour turn around in Hungary but the bike was about 3 months out of warranty :blast

We repaired a casing on a gixxer thou belonging to an unspecified forum member using chewing gum and a band aid until my wife managed to scrounge half a tube of plastic metal. That’s why JB weld is on the list :D

Unfortunately nothing was going to work apart from a credit card and a KTM dealer when I holed the radiator on my 1190 last year but it gave me an excuse for a day out in Budapest so every cloud etc...
Good times. I still have the tube of JB weld she kindly got me the next day and smile whenever I move it aside in the toolchest.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

I have a small tube of threadlock which is about the size of a lip balm. In case any fasteners seem intent on coming loose and can't be tightened.

plastic "metal" repair kit, have used this to repair damage to clutch case when off roading , good enough to stop oil pissing out and get bike home, should work on water closet too:aidan

Take some cotton wool... Mixed with araldite it covers a large surface without collapsing inwards..

Repaired an airhead holed rocker cover using araldite and cotton wool after sliding down the road in France back in 1988 (the wife was on the back who was three months pregnant at the time:D).
Repair lasted for years until i picked up a cheap replacement.. In fact i've still got the repaired cover in the garage loft. :D

Puncture repair kit plus a 12v pump repair kit yes / pump No. (C02 cylinders always worked for me - which i will now regret saying :rolleyes: )
Small jump start pack - honestly, it’s tiny and I did use it a few years ago i have small home made jump leads (and a Guzzi :rolleyes: )
Gaffer tape and cable ties Yep. :thumb2
A small bag full of M6, M8 and M10 fasteners If you have the tape and ties - why bother with fasteners? :nenau
Multimeter circuit testing screwdriver with a light in it and a length of wire for me - if it's more complex than that will diagnose i'm fucked anyway :rolleyes: (did i say; i have a Guzzi?)
18” of cable and some joints so I can replace short lengths of damaged wire (needed on other bikes before) 18" of cable?! - isn't that what your indicators wiring is for? :green gri - rip it out and use it til you get somewhere civilised! Joints; may improve the mood / but tend to draw the attention of the local police.
Spare fuses no. chewing gum wrapper does the same job - oh, and the chewing gum can sometimes fix small leaks too. ... so does soap.
Better pair of pliers than the toolkit ones Definitely, yes.
Better screwdrivers than the toolkit ones hmm, i usually try swiss army type ones on the Bike before i go - often just as good and less bulk
Leatherman Wave mines never actually been much use / swiss army knife usually better. :nenau
Small LED torch as has been said; good head torch
JB weld oh yes. (did i say - i have a Guzzi :rolleyes: )
Superglue really? :confused:
i carry spare clutch/brake levers too - on the "pound of butter in the fridge" basis. It must work as, i've not needed them.... so far. (18 years with the Guzzi i might have mentioned having.

ooh - nearly forgot - solderless nipples! or a 3 pin plug ;)

Back
Top Bottom