Holiday tool kit

AndyB_11

Still waiting
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok, I’m away on a happy holiday next Monday evening and if I’m going away from Western Europe I like to pack a few extra bits and pieces so I can try to keep going if things start to go slightly wrong.

Previously I’ve taken the following but am I either being paranoid or missing something obvious?

Puncture repair kit plus a 12v pump
Small jump start pack - honestly, it’s tiny and I did use it a few years ago
Gaffer tape and cable ties
A small bag full of M6, M8 and M10 fasteners
Multimeter
18” of cable and some joints so I can replace short lengths of damaged wire (needed on other bikes before)
Spare fuses
Better pair of pliers than the toolkit ones
Better screwdrivers than the toolkit ones
Leatherman Wave
Small LED torch
JB weld
Superglue

I only started carrying the bag of fasteners after having lost a few on my Multistrada and KTM use Loctite on nearly everything so they shouldn’t be needed but for the space they take in my tail pack they may as well be popped in. I could do away with the 12v pump and use cartridges but I did 4K miles with a slow puncture 2 years ago so I know they can be useful. I don’t bother with bulbs because you can buy them in nearly any petrol station no matter where you are and I certainly don’t carry oil because if I lose the lot 1 litre won’t make any difference :blast

Take the piss, it’s what I’d do :D

If you have an old phone in the house that uses same size sim card as your phone, set it up charge it up and throw it in the bag, just in case your phone throws a wobbly, happened to me a few years ago, had an old Nokia 3310 as a backup phone, and all was well.

Now that’s not a bad idea. I’ve drowned phones before and usually after partaking of excess alcohol :beerjug:

photo copy your bank cards, both sides - if you lose your wallet you will have copies of all the numbers required.

We repaired a casing on a gixxer thou belonging to an unspecified forum member using chewing gum and a band aid until my wife managed to scrounge half a tube of plastic metal. That’s why JB weld is on the list :D

Unfortunately nothing was going to work apart from a credit card and a KTM dealer when I holed the radiator on my 1190 last year but it gave me an excuse for a day out in Budapest so every cloud etc...

photo copy your bank cards, both sides - if you lose your wallet you will have copies of all the numbers required.

I already do that and I also have a photo of my passport saved on my phone. Surprisingly enough that photo has worked at a border control when I’d left my passport in my hotel room.

Depends on how paranoid you are.

A small coil of plastic tubing, the type used with fish tanks. If you run it of fuel, or a biker mate does, it’s easy to syphon it into something to transfer fuel.

It can also make an airway (DAMHIK)

Depends on how paranoid you are.

A small coil of plastic tubing, the type used with fish tanks. If you run it of fuel, or a biker mate does, it’s easy to syphon it into something to transfer fuel.

It can also make an airway (DAMHIK)

In a group I’d agree but I’m away on my own and I’m not taking a petrol stove so there’s no need.

So it's definitely the KTM going?

I usually have a can of Tyrefix or similar. Much less faff than using a plug.
I assume the Leatherman has a bottle opener? Can't see you needing a corkscrew with the classier half staying home to watch pretty boys kick a pig's bladder.

If you are taking the KTM do not ride in the heat, ask engineer why............;) as for drowning your phone made I larf that did

So it's definitely the KTM going?

I usually have a can of Tyrefix or similar. Much less faff than using a plug.
I assume the Leatherman has a bottle opener? Can't see you needing a corkscrew with the classier half staying home to watch pretty boys kick a pig's bladder.

It’s definitely the KTM, it may sound a bit crazy but because I’ve got a Ventura luggage pack that has a small rack that’s big enough for a roll bag containing tent & sleeping bag along with small factory hard panniers it’s better kitted out for touring than the GS. The GS is more comfortable and significantly quieter on the road but the KTM is always going to be more ‘fun’ to ride.

You’ve never owned a KTM have you? They come with a bottle opener in the toolkit but you’re right, I don’t need a corkscrew because the other half doesn’t have enough holidays and isn’t really ready for a big road trip after two loads of surgery so we’re off to Menorca the day I’m planning on getting home.

I was going to go after we get home from Menorca but if I did that it’s likely I’d take the piss and stay away for about 3 weeks so A said go now because she knows I won’t dare be late back. Her normal tactic of checking my booking.com account at about 5pm every night to check where I am won’t work if I end up going north because I’ll be camping so her only way of checking will be if I post photos on Twitter :D

Some duct tape for fairing repairs
Some amalgamating tape for lots of reasons
A good blade
Small adjustable ‘wrench’

A vice grips. Swap the torch for a head torch. Much better than the unavailability of a 3rd hand. JJH

Ditch the pliers, the Leatherman has got it. No use for bolts and shit, that you can buy at a hardware store. Multimeter, you are fucked if you need that. Any dodgy wiring (it would be obvious) and it can be fixed with a leatherman an gorilla tape. Better make sure the insurance covers where ever you are going to. Tape and tie-wraps, proper big ones and smaller ones. Small 2 x AA battery flashlight, head torch. Tape, cut a toilet roll to size and wrap the Gorilla tape on that. More compact than a whole roll. Jump start kit, reliable compressor, tyre plug kit and for the KTM tools to tension the chain, chain lube. Only the tools needed to take a wheel off, calipers etc. And to take some panels off if you need to get to an air filter or fuel filter. Have you ever needed oil on a trip? Fuses yes. Take the bike manual with you. The BMW one is neat and small and also has the numbers and servicing record in it. I have contemplated using a paint marker to write the torque values of the calipers and wheel bolts on it but I remember it now. In any case, next to the road it will have to be tight till you get to a garage. Any crash damage can be welded or replaced.

Some things listed are just left in my tank bag permanently so maybe shouldn’t be counted as extra tools. Those include the Leathernan, a Swiss Army knife which has tools the Leatherman doesn’t, a rechargeable LED torch, packet of assorted fuses and the owners manual for the bike. They take up next to no room and the manual is good for pointing at things in dealers where nobody speaks English.

I also carry a pen and paper in there, charge cables, visor cleaning kit, a can of chain lube barely bigger than a cigarette lighter, spare keys, house keys, Roadlok pin and Paracetamol. If I’m out of the UK then bike documents and a laminated copy of my passport details page also go with me.

It’s like a tarts handbag but without the condoms and it’s only 15l capacity 😀

Spare clutch & brake levers ;)

They’re notched so break off leaving enough to still ride the bike and the knife has a small file to remove those sharp edges that rip your gloves inside a day.

Have you got any more spares in case I need to contact you? :D

Back
Top Bottom