Petrol and diesel cars banned from London roads from next month

Greg Masters

'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Nine streets on east London will be closed to diesel and petrol cars from 3 Sept 2018.

Only electric and hybrid cars will be allowed in the Blackall St; Cowper St; Paul St; Tabernacle St; Ravey St; Singer St; Willow St; Charlotte Rd and Rivington St between 7am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm on weekdays.

Nine streets on east London will be closed to diesel and petrol cars from 3 Sept 2018.

Only electric and hybrid cars will be allowed in the Blackall St; Cowper St; Paul St; Tabernacle St; Ravey St; Singer St; Willow St; Charlotte Rd and Rivington St between 7am - 10am and 4pm - 7pm on weekdays.

Great, pushing cars onto the already main routes alongside causing even more congestion and pollution.

The ban also includes motorcycles...

Great, pushing cars onto the already main routes alongside causing even more congestion and pollution.

The ban also includes motorcycles...

It may be a thin wedge end - a road in the City is going the same way next year according to the ES

Hi Greg,

I was unclear whether Wapping thought this the 'thin end of a wedge' or a great step forward in public health. I checked those streets and IIRC they are almost pedestrianized already. They seem like a good place for a trial. The $64k question is how you measure the outcomes. I doubt the air quality will be measurably better given the roads that surround the area.

Wapping's later post answers my question. I won't be writing to my MP about this one. sorry.

Path.

Me? I ain’t voiced an opinion, up until now.

I do though remember dire predictions of the end of the world when a local council banned bikes from some roads around that Mecca of culinary delights, the Ace Cafe. The sun is still rising each morning in the east....

The only way to prevent pollution to our Great Blue Ship is population control.... either through natural disaster, birth control or a few strategically placed loud bangs..... anything else just isn’t going to work.

The only way to prevent pollution to our Great Blue Ship is population control.... either through natural disaster, birth control or a few strategically placed loud bangs..... anything else just isn’t going to work.

Starting with Africans and those of African descent. I read it here.

I think in Sweden most if not all buses are run on Hydrogen, I’d have thought London buses and taxis should go the same way. If all taxis were made to run on Electric that would get rid of a lot of highly polluting vehicles in a heartbeat.

I think in Sweden most if not all buses are run on Hydrogen, I’d have thought London buses and taxis should go the same way. If all taxis were made to run on Electric that would get rid of a lot of highly polluting vehicles in a heartbeat.

They aren’t, but hey.

TfL is running hydroegn busses, with more to come.

The first electric (they also have a small engine) black cabs are starting to appear on the capital’s streets, designed to carry six bods in a vehicle approximate enough to the silhouette of a classic London taxi.

Back
Top Bottom