Decision made.... Goodbye GSA, hello 1290 ADV R

There seem to be a big range in prices for a new bike. Anyone seen better than £13k with £1000 powerparts ?

I had Touratech asymmetric panniers on my 1190 and they were too wide. Great for putting mountains of gear in but if you need to filter to catch a ferry you’re going to upset car drivers.

but if you need to filter to catch a ferry you’re going to upset car drivers.

I can do that without any luggage, or even a motorcycle for that matter.

Problem is the KTM ones are still fairly wide - 6 inches wider than the widest of my 1190 (the ends of the handguards are the widest part on my bike) The old GS Vario's are narrower when fully extended and I think a bit bigger as well, KTM really did not think this through very well.

A shame as the KTM bikes are better than the GS in "Almost" every way, and it is the simple things they fuck up, like crap panniers, bad screens, cruise on wrong handlebar (yes, now fixed) and heated grips that only get warm enough for summer use, airboxes that leak (from a company that has won the last 17 Dakar Rallies)

When KTM see sense and put me in charge I will fix all this shit.

I can do that without any luggage, or even a motorcycle for that matter.

Problem is the KTM ones are still fairly wide - 6 inches wider than the widest of my 1190 (the ends of the handguards are the widest part on my bike) The old GS Vario's are narrower when fully extended and I think a bit bigger as well, KTM really did not think this through very well.

A shame as the KTM bikes are better than the GS in "Almost" every way, and it is the simple things they fuck up, like crap panniers, bad screens, cruise on wrong handlebar (yes, now fixed) and heated grips that only get warm enough for summer use, airboxes that leak (from a company that has won the last 17 Dakar Rallies)

When KTM see sense and put me in charge I will fix all this shit.

Agreed about the screen :thumb

The stock 1290S screen is shite. I’ve been using the R screen, but have just tried the Puig sport screen, and that’s crap, even with the deflector.

Well finally got the bike yesterday and I have to say......... I love it.

So flick able and well manored, but the engine, wow what a beast, same or more grunt as the gsa low down but as the revs rise....... Wow, its in a different league.

I had thought the wheel sizes would take a bit of getting used to as I've always had 19" / 17" combinations in the past. But plenty of feedback and it cruises over the bumps and potholes with no dramas or fuss.

Still need to dial the suspension in to my taste, but bog stock in the comfort settings, it's brilliant, except for a little too much fork dive, but I can deal with that.

The riding position is really comfy and as people have stated, is just like a large motocross bike.

My average mpg on the lc gsa was 50 and on my run to work the 1290 was showing 55mpg which isn't bad, but im yet to discover how accurate that is.

Overall I'm chuffed to bits with it and don't regret the change at all.

Only thing on my list for change is the stock seat, but I'll be getting the ergo 2 piece seats as my first port of call.

0d8c67ae82c5ad213174461ba5511445.jpg

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

What’s tyres are on the stock bike?

Did you find a dealer that did you any deals !?

I'm sure they come new with tkc80 tyres fitted, can't remember what the current ones are lol.
I got it used from a dealer.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

I wonder if you could fit the wheels from the S to the R? I had an R for a few hours a couple of weeks ago, and didn’t like the high speed handling with the larger front wheel.

Yes you can, you have to get your dealer to recalibrate the clocks for the different sized S wheels. Premier were going to set the clocks for myself, i was planning to fit some nice kineo 19/17 wheels from HPS after 17 front caused to many issues. the clocks will allow two wheel sizes but only a dealer can set this.

Yes you can, you have to get your dealer to recalibrate the clocks for the different sized S wheels. Premier were going to set the clocks for myself, i was planning to fit some nice kineo 19/17 wheels from HPS after 17 front caused to many issues. the clocks will allow two wheel sizes but only a dealer can set this.

That’s good to know. :thumb

I may go down the R route this time, will have a chat to the guys next time I’m there.

My average mpg on the lc gsa was 50 and on my run to work the 1290 was showing 55mpg which isn't bad, but im yet to discover how accurate that is.

If it’s anything like my 1290 GT the trip computer will be very accurate. Because I’m a sad bastard I use an app called Road Trip whenever I’m away on a bike and they’re within 0.2mpg of each other going by miles ridden and litres thrown in the tank.

The range to go figure is also a pleasant change from my old 1190 which gave you it in kilometres no matter what you messed with in the settings menu but the GT is accurate enough to run it into single figures on foreign motorways :eek:

The range to go figure is also a pleasant change from my old 1190 which gave you it in kilometres no matter what you messed with in the settings menu but the GT is accurate enough to run it into single figures on foreign motorways :eek:

My 1090 also works properly in Miles, the speedo is more accurate and the mpg seems about right when I do the maths in my head at fill up time, the sat nav shows only about @3% speedo error compared to @7% on the 1190.

I have done this to my 1290R,

Bought the KTM spoked wheel kit with everything included and then purchased modified ABS rings from a member on ADV rider that lives in the UK.
Had the tyre pressure sensors recalibrated at first service, as i kept the old ones in the original wheels and tyres,

Only real issue had was on the sidestand it stood a little upright (cured with another mod from ADV rider).

Other than the above the bike handles so much better, inspires so much more confidence and has been to San Marino and Le mans and back with out any issues from the ABS, or any other system sensor.

Excellent and well worth while modification if you ask me.

I have done this to my 1290R,

Bought the KTM spoked wheel kit with everything included and then purchased modified ABS rings from a member on ADV rider that lives in the UK.
Had the tyre pressure sensors recalibrated at first service, as i kept the old ones in the original wheels and tyres,

Only real issue had was on the sidestand it stood a little upright (cured with another mod from ADV rider).

Other than the above the bike handles so much better, inspires so much more confidence and has been to San Marino and Le mans and back with out any issues from the ABS, or any other system sensor.

Excellent and well worth while modification if you ask me.

Can you stick a picture of the bike on here please

Well, sticking with the theme, my GSA left the building this evening. I had it serviced on the 6th June, rode it home and it's not moved since! So the right decision. Feeling a little sad about it, so I went in the garage and stared at the 1290 for a minute or two...cured.

The GSA has been brilliant. Let's see what the new one is like but it would need to be incredible to oust the KTM.

Isn’t it strange that 90% of the posts about KTMs are positive yet if you visit the toilet it’s all doom and gloom?

My GT is currently parked next to my tent at a campsite in Latvia and though I’m probably tempting fate saying this it’s been a pleasure to ride on this holiday.

Well, sticking with the theme, my GSA left the building this evening. I had it serviced on the 6th June, rode it home and it's not moved since! So the right decision. Feeling a little sad about it, so I went in the garage and stared at the 1290 for a minute or two...cured.

The GSA has been brilliant. Let's see what the new one is like but it would need to be incredible to oust the KTM.

That’s exactly how I felt when I got rid of my GS earlier this year. Absolutely no regrets so far, and as you say, the next GS will have to be phenomenal to get me back to BMW.

Back
Top Bottom