Decision made.... Goodbye GSA, hello 1290 ADV R

cbrgaz

Reaction score
Well after much chin rubbing I've struck a deal and my r1200gs lc adventure is going and I'm changing to a 2017 ktm 1290 adventure r.
Can't wait to get my mits on it.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Well after much chin rubbing I've struck a deal and my r1200gs lc adventure is going and I'm changing to a 2017 ktm 1290 adventure r.

I’m curious about why the R not the S. I fancy using it touring off-road but the S looks a better touring spec.

The luggage looks fugly. Is there a risk to to use decent panniers ?

Thanks in advance.

I wanted the off road biased wheels and convential suspension. For luggage I'll probably be aiming to use soft luggage.

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

I wanted the off road biased wheels and convential suspension. For luggage I'll probably be aiming to use soft luggage.

Cool, thanks.

And price wise, am I correct KTM dealers are buggers for promotions and you have to shop around.

I've px'd my gsa against a used one. But I believe it is quickly approaching discount time.

Off to Hiltop with you. :) Well, get the bike first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumot Xtremadas are very good . Enjoy the bike. They are quite good !

ba5cbcf4c456fefb4d9f04eeff5b7dab.jpg

I prefer the conventional suspension on the R - Better ride quality, infinitely adjustable (Compared to just 3 non adjustable settings on S which are harsh, harsher and hardtail) serviceable, much less to go wrong and the rear shock could be replaced by any brand rather than £1500k+ for the semi-active one.

I don't like the 21" front wheel much, it is noticeably harder to turn the bike and looks a bit skinny, I am sure it has more grip than I have balls, but I still much prefer the 19" of the S.

Apart from the wheels, suspension and screen I believe the spec is identical.

The OE Panniers aren't great, I have them for my 1090 and on the 1190 I have KTM Branded Givi Trekker Outback which are much better, but require a rather unsightly scaffold arrangement to clip onto.

The Givi's make the bike very wide (3'9" in old money) but hold 85L (48/37) and by both being rectangular / top loading are easy to cram full of stuff.

By comparison the KTM boxes only hold 66L (36/30) are side loading, and have a diamond shaped outer side (lid) so are much more difficult to efficiently fill up, especially the really odd shaped exhaust pannier. They are still fairly wide at 3'5". Had KTM squared off the boxes rather than had some arty fuckwit designer draw them up then they could of probably made them narrower with more capacity.

I think for a solo traveller staying in Hotels the standard luggage is fine.

Filtering is fairly limited even with KTM boxes (they are wider than the bars) I would rather have plenty of room /easier loading at the expense of slightly worse filtering ability,

I have seen a bike with the Bumot panniers and they looked a bit nicer than my Givi's, not sure of sizes, but they looked quite big and probably a bit better tucked in, if I did not already have a set this is probably where my money would go.

I prefer the conventional suspension on the R - Better ride quality, infinitely adjustable (Compared to just 3 non adjustable settings on S which are harsh, harsher and hardtail) serviceable, much less to go wrong and the rear shock could be replaced by any brand rather than £1500k+ for the semi-active one.

I don't like the 21" front wheel much, it is noticeably harder to turn the bike and looks a bit skinny, I am sure it has more grip than I have balls, but I still much prefer the 19" of the S.

Apart from the wheels, suspension and screen I believe the spec is identical.

The OE Panniers aren't great, I have them for my 1090 and on the 1190 I have KTM Branded Givi Trekker Outback which are much better, but require a rather unsightly scaffold arrangement to clip onto.

The Givi's make the bike very wide (3'9" in old money) but hold 85L (48/37) and by both being rectangular / top loading are easy to cram full of stuff.

By comparison the KTM boxes only hold 66L (36/30) are side loading, and have a diamond shaped outer side (lid) so are much more difficult to efficiently fill up, especially the really odd shaped exhaust pannier. They are still fairly wide at 3'5". Had KTM squared off the boxes rather than had some arty fuckwit designer draw them up then they could of probably made them narrower with more capacity.

I think for a solo traveller staying in Hotels the standard luggage is fine.

Filtering is fairly limited even with KTM boxes (they are wider than the bars) I would rather have plenty of room /easier loading at the expense of slightly worse filtering ability,

I have seen a bike with the Bumot panniers and they looked a bit nicer than my Givi's, not sure of sizes, but they looked quite big and probably a bit better tucked in, if I did not already have a set this is probably where my money would go.

That’s really helpful, thank you.

I wonder if you could fit the wheels from the S to the R? I had an R for a few hours a couple of weeks ago, and didn’t like the high speed handling with the larger front wheel.

I wonder if you could fit the wheels from the S to the R? I had an R for a few hours a couple of weeks ago, and didn’t like the high speed handling with the larger front wheel.

Quite a few on advrider seem to have done it with success with the 1190R. Never found the need myself, though I can't deny more road based wheel sizes would inspire even more confidence, + there's a lot more choice of tyres.

AAMOI what sort of high speeds are you talking about?

Quite a few on advrider seem to have done it with success with the 1190R. Never found the need myself, though I can't deny more road based wheel sizes would inspire even more confidence, + there's a lot more choice of tyres.

AAMOI what sort of high speeds are you talking about?

Triple figures. I took the bike to the Cotswolds, down the usual nadgery back roads I ride, and noticed quite a difference in handling. Admittedly, the bike was brand new, with new tyres, and I didn’t get a chance to play with the suspension, so maybe it needs a bit of time to bed in?

Back
Top Bottom