Popping on the over-run

ajd

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just completed a get-to-know-you ride, 500 miles around the North Western Highlands (not THE North West 500... but did that before it was a 'thing') on the 2011 1200GS I got a few weeks ago. Rain? What rain? So, we got to know one another, and it is a very happy thing. Just one aspect I need to consult on - although the engine really is as sweet as anything, there is a frequent pop on the over-run. If it was an old fashioned carb engine I'd say it was running over-rich and/or a possible air leak into the exhaust. But it ain't a carburettor bike obviously. So is a bit of (admittedly quite nice-sounding) popping a feature? If not, what's going on?

Mine does it, has had the flappy valve removed, not sure if it does it with the flappy valve in place as my bike came with it removed.

I think they all do it.

Just back from Italy and it was doing it more notably when very hot. I'm getting used to it (I don't dislike it, I just have to get over my thoughts which match yours - too rich or exhaust leaking somewhere!).

Ride and enjoy. It's nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My 2011 does it and has done for the last, almost 50k i have done on it, that being the case, i don't mither about it.

Mine does it too

It’s just character

Mind you, if you really want to hear pooping you should hear my Triumph Scrambler, straight through pipes and air injection makes for a proper cackle and bark on the overrun 😆

Thanks. Hoped that was the case. I had wondered if the db killer valve had been taken out, it sounds fruitier than perhaps it should. I'm not so concerned having heated so many others pop away.

Coughs, rumbles , whirs, and bangs..

Just think of it as Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang. you wont go far wrong ;) :thumb2

Throttle body sync on my 2011 twin cam cut the popping on the overrun considerably,( it had got quite prolific). I removed the exhaust flap years ago. I don't recall it doing this when it was new so maybe the flap valve does suppress it.

My 2008 with Akra does it. I was quite shocked at first, having had a few BMW cars I was expecting a similar level of refinement (from a boxer bike LOL) but now I quite enjoy it and play with it a bit after a blast through a tunnel and then roll of halfway etc... childish I know but it's easy to amuse the innocent

Basically it is unburnt fuel re-igniting in the exhaust. Can occur more when there is a leak in the exhaust. Probably puts a bit more oxygen into the exhaust mixture.

Basically it is unburnt fuel re-igniting in the exhaust. Can occur more when there is a leak in the exhaust. Probably puts a bit more oxygen into the exhaust mixture.
Yea ok. We knew that. But why the feck on such a lean running machine, with no leaks does it do it!

It can't be so efficient can it?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Mine (‘11 plate TC) did it egularly too before it went to ‘the Hill’, I didn’t mind the noise but it runs a lot better now and never pops.

Mine (‘11 plate TC) did it egularly too before it went to ‘the Hill’, I didn’t mind the noise but it runs a lot better now and never pops.

My 2010 did it before and after “the hill”
The harder you ride the more it does it — love it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2005 hex with 58k has always done it, exhaust setup is a Y-piece (no cat) and Remus legal/baffled pipe.

Back
Top Bottom