08 1200GS - swingarm bearings

NicD

Reaction score
Front pivot pin bearings, part 33172311729, approx £25 from Motorworks & Sherlock which seems a lot for a small roller bearing. Looks like it is an FAG 539816-A. Anyone had luck purchasing this elsewhere for less? Thanks v much

I got mine from BMW, just simple angular contact roller bearings, sealed on one side.

BMW part 33 17 2 311 729 Roller Brg

FAG 539816A Made in Hungary

Didn't write the price down but I recall paying about £30 in Oct '09.

I recall removing one easily then putting a long length of stud bar through the hollow swingarm tube to whack out the opposite one.

I bought a special cutaway socket and allen key type tool from Laser tools for about a tenner to adjust and tighten the new bearings once replaced.

Thanks. Found an older thread in which you discuss this. Laser part number looks like 4207, superceeded by 4740: https://www.lasertools.co.uk/PIS/4740_PIS.pdf Currently £16.50 on eBay

Swingarm bearings looks like BMW best option

Re adjustment, any links to manual or guide for this? Thanks v much

I adjusted mine by feel, there is probably a torque setting somewhere I guess, but you know when its too tight or too loose.

thanks. had a look at tool just now. Looks like it's to hold the left hand pivot pin when torquing the lock nut. Hadn't understood when reading initial post last night. Thanks

I used a pair of angular contact ball bearings which were available is same size as the BMW special bearings. They've now done 25,000 so probably due a regrease.

There is an initial torque value and a final value for left pivot pin. Special tool then used for torquing lock nut (figures are quoted in Haynes).
Last time I did this the socket slipped and result was 2 hours in A&E and 5 stitches in fingers, this last part is optional and only applies to dummies who aren't paying attention!!

There is an initial torque value and a final value for left pivot pin. Special tool then used for torquing lock nut (figures are quoted in Haynes).
Last time I did this the socket slipped and result was 2 hours in A&E and 5 stitches in fingers, this last part is optional and only applies to dummies who aren't paying attention!!

Ouch,I think I know what you did,rhs by chance?

It was the socket slipping off the left hand side!
When I changed the swinging arm bearings the left hand side had disintegrated but right hand side was ok ish!

We are supposed to use a special tool to avoid changing the preload when tightening the retaining fastener. I put a dab of Snopake on the shaft and on the bearing. The setting didn't move when finally tightened and all has been well ever since.

BTW That bearing looks messy but now it's not might as well replace. Condition of the roller tracks will tell you if it's done-for.

Back
Top Bottom