Squeal on cold start tickover and pickup

Bikermike1411

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I’m hoping it’s going to turn out to be nothing....

On cold start tickover my new GS has a squeal which sounds like its coming from the front of the engine. It dies away but is still there on pickup when I rev the bike, at least until the bike gets much warmer.

I hope it’s something simple like the alternator belt slipping, and not something more sinister....

Could someone more enlightened than myself offer advice?

Cheers
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WD40 will only be a temporary fix, the squeal will return shortly, it needs checking, replace if worn, or adjust. :thumb2

WD40 will only be a temporary fix, the squeal will return shortly, it needs checking, replace if worn, or adjust. :thumb2

Yep, I’ll inspect it more closely this weekend. It didn’t seem slack - I’ll look up the adjustment/replacement process tonight.

The bike has only done 600 miles in 4 years - I suspect it needs replacing. I only WD’d it to rule out anything more sinister......

Hi Steptoe,
It’s a 2001 R1150GS.

Adjust it.
Undo the three 13mm nuts that secure the alternator, insert a flat bladed lever under the alternator (careful not to pinch the hall sensor cable that runs up under alternator) and exert enough pressure so the belt can just be twisted almost a half turn in it;s longest run, then nip up the bottom R/H nut before relaxing the tension on the alternator.
Then do up the other two nuts.

Adjust it.
Undo the three 13mm nuts that secure the alternator, insert a flat bladed lever under the alternator (careful not to pinch the hall sensor cable that runs up under alternator) and exert enough pressure so the belt can just be twisted almost a half turn in it;s longest run, then nip up the bottom R/H nut before relaxing the tension on the alternator.
Then do up the other two nuts.

Thanks for the adjustment breakdown! Much appreciated. I’ll get on it this weekend (or sooner if I can sneak out to the garage for an hour)

Thanks for the adjustment breakdown! Much appreciated. I’ll get on it this weekend (or sooner if I can sneak out to the garage for an hour)

Since you have squirted it with WD40 and are going in there anyway???

Replace it! the WD attacks rubber!!!

4PK613 is a 4 ribbed flat belt that is common in motor factors and fits

When you buy new one take the remove one with you as there are two sizes of belt, don't ask now I know!.

Since you have squirted it with WD40 and are going in there anyway???

Replace it! the WD attacks rubber!!!

4PK613 is a 4 ribbed flat belt that is common in motor factors and fits

Cheers DrF!

I discovered the two-belt paradox yesterday whilst watching a guy do the job on YouTube! I’ll take it with me.

At £15 it’s a cheap way to get piece of mind!

Cheers DrF!

I discovered the two-belt paradox yesterday whilst watching a guy do the job on YouTube! I’ll take it with me.

At £15 it’s a cheap way to get piece of mind!

You need the early 611 four ribbed non stretch belt.

611.... 613 it doesn;t matter its just 2 mm longer :beerjug: and a "little" easier to fit!

Plenty of adjustment on the alternator on those bikes

Morning all!

Got out of bed this morning in the mood for some fettling. Fit my new alternator belt before the kettle had boiled!

Massive thanks to you all for the advice, much appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom