WTF is going on with insurance

I suppose I should be thankful as my quote on a new GSA Rallye was ‘only’ £463!

What knackers me is my NCD has expired so starting from scratch again

Its a market; if you don't like the premium finad another underwriter.

It is a regulated market.
Some stuff the insurers/brokers tell us don't make much sense.

I've written this before: years ago I had issues insuring my bikes (multi-bike policy via BMW/Devitts at the time) because of the parking situation (public access garage) as the theft risk was "too high" for them.

"Fine", I said, I'll unsure third party only (that's the legal requirement last time I checked) and I'll take the financial risk of theft upon myself.
Insurer then refused to even just quote as it meant I was too high risk.
Cue half an hour of bullshit over the phone where they pushed me into buying Fully Comp (I never insure Fully Comp, just Third Party & Fire and Theft usually). Seemed like being pushed into a financial service I didn't need/wanted.

All sorted nowadays (I have my own lockup) so all good... with a massive excess.

Did some more research and you may be right.

Yes, they see it as a single item. Anything over 10k is a problem.

It is hard to understand how the decisions are made. I recently asked my local broker for a multi-car policy (Range Rover and a Citroen DS-3). best they could do was north of £4000.

Went back to NFU who quoted £1040!

I sent the NFU quote to the broker to confirm the cover etc was the same and they said the two policies were essentially identical.:nenau

I suppose I should be thankful as my quote on a new GSA Rallye was ‘only’ £463!

What knackers me is my NCD has expired so starting from scratch again

They will usually [or did] accept NCD up to 2 years after your last policy as long as its checkable

It’s renewal time for my two bikes, GS and RS. Now I live inside the M25 and the GS is only 3 months old, but the cheapest fully comp quote for both with 5 years NCD is... £1,400 :eek: annual cost for them at purchase time in. May was just under £700...
Due to change of job it looks like I’ll have to move to class 1 business, which hikes up the best price to around £1,800. Just hoping my existing insurer can do something better but the GS may have to go for something a lot cheaper and easier to insure/low risk before the next renewal.

One insurer I phoned wanted to know where I work, where I park at work, what CCTV is available, and whether I’d had the same bike previously and if I’d had any trouble. They also asked me what “I thought” the bikes are worth versus the risk. WT absolute F???

So when they say voluntary excess =£200 and compulsory excess =£300, they won’t pay the first £500 of a claim?

Just been quoted £570 for a new GSA with IAM (up £100 from my RT) but Hastings are £400. Big Ed comes in at £220 but they want to add 600 excess on top of my 200

Had the same situation after not having a car in my name for more than 2 years but was named on the wifes car.
Went to the same insurer and they were willing to accept my no claims.

So when they say voluntary excess =£200 and compulsory excess =£300, they won’t pay the first £500 of a claim?

Just been quoted £570 for a new GSA with IAM (up £100 from my RT) but Hastings are £400. Big Ed comes in at £220 but they want to add 600 excess on top of my 200

You can normally reduce the excess for a small fee added to the cost

Just put another bike on my multi bike policy today ............. total cost for next 6 months until renewal £41.68 , not bad until I'm informed that the cost to change the policy is £40 , the actual premium increase is only £1.68

Just put another bike on my multi bike policy today ............. total cost for next 6 months until renewal £41.68 , not bad until I'm informed that the cost to change the policy is £40 , the actual premium increase is only £1.68

Who are you with?

Who are you with?

CN , mind you at the same time I renewed one of my car insurance policies with them and they quoted £75 cheaper than my Hastings renewal.

Will probably be sticking with them for the bike insurance renewal next year as I won a competition at the Scottish Show to get £250 off next years renewal premium

2013 R1200GS. £140 fully comp, protected ncb, £0 voluntary excess, maximum no claims discount, age 61. Bennetts. And I'm in Hampshire, too.

We'll see what happens when it comes to renewal time.

Well, renewal time has arrived, but I have moved next door to Dorset, a move that Bennetts charged me £32 to change my address.

MCN Compare emails me with this year's quotes, including Bennetts. It's cheaper, but doesn't include breakdown cover and it is for my old address. I change the address and redo the quotes. Nothing from Bennetts, so I phone them.

That'll be £281 please. Wtf??

That's a bit expensive, I said politely.

Ok. What about £150-160?

Which one?

Which one what?

£150 or 160. And does it include breakdown cover? I've been quoted £96 without breakdown cover.

No, breakdown cover is £64 extra.

Can I speak to a manager?

A minute or two later....

How can I help you?

Do you just make up numbers when people ask how much you charge. You are recording this call; listen to the recording.I was quoted £281, which I said was too much. That became a vague £150-160 plus £64 for breakdown cover. Last year it was £140.

I don't make up the numbers. That's how much it is.

I politely declined and said I'd go elsewhere.

My Bennetts renewal letter arrived this morning. £149 including breakdown cover.

Another one for the WTF category. Insurance for my Aprilia due for renewal at the end of April. Been with Hastings for a good few years and every year we play the "how fecking much?" on the renewal notice game and phone them to get a lower price.

This year was a bit different as last years premium of £91 had risen slightly.....to £890! Ok, on the phone and this year there's nothing they can do to lower it. Fair enough. Start searching. Try Aunty Carol as used them in the past. Get a quote direct from their website. £11424.24 (I think the 24p was the off-putting bit) - Okaaaay then.

Try Bike Insurer comparison site. Carol Nash second cheapest at £89.00. Hmmm, nowhere to put modifications. On the phone, declare the mods and slightly revised price of £102.00. Just a bit different to the quote from their own website. £11322.20 different!! :confused:

I’m paying £1400 insurance for my 2009 GS. In case of upgrade to 16 plate GSA they want £6800 :nenau
So no upgrade i think:(

Rip off merchants the lot of 'em.

Hastings wanted a rather extortionate £9 to add a bike to my existing policy including business use and change of address.

Actually, they were rather accommodating or are we not allowed such slander on these pages?

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

£179 for a 2014 GS last year now coming up over £600 for a 2018 GSA!!!!
BMW want £880!!!!!!

Newer, more expensive bike = more expensive policy.

Or am I missing something?

Newer, more expensive bike = more expensive policy.

Or am I missing something?

Indeed but my GS was only a year old when I bought it and I’d only passed my test a couple of years before. I payed less than £250 then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"bemoto" bike insurance 01733 907000 just paid £237.00 for new 1250 gs.
Excellent service and run by bikers.:thumb

Back
Top Bottom