Tyres - my thoughts and

Can’t sing the praises high enough for the Pirelli ST II’s.
Just done 3500 miles in last few weeks through France, Spain and Portugal......mostly roads of every type.
The tyres were faultless in every situation and weather condition.....other than snow and ice.
I’ll see how I do for longevity but tread, shape and grip still great.

Very interesting info in terms of various tyre preferences and longevity.

Question:

Do the majority always change tyres as a pair or manage to get two rears to the life of a front or something else?

It seems that most of us are happy with our tyres, regardless of make.

I doubt whether I could tell one tyre from another if conditions were the same and I wonder how many others could either, with the possible exception of super cheap "no name" brands, especially at normal road speeds.

I have Toruance on my 2006 GS, and got 12k out of them. Love the grip in both wet and dry. Was tempted to change when I first got the bike, but stayed with them as I was happy with their performance.

New Bike comes with Bridgestone BattleAxe A41. I have read a lot if great things about them so I am looking forward to trying them out. I get the new bike on Monday

It seems that most of us are happy with our tyres, regardless of make.

I doubt whether I could tell one tyre from another if conditions were the same and I wonder how many others could either, with the possible exception of super cheap "no name" brands, especially at normal road speeds.

Tyres make the single biggest difference to a bike’s handling and there are significant and noticeable differences between the big brands - I can certainly tell even within the first 100metres of riding on a normal road.

I have Toruance on my 2006 GS, and got 12k out of them. Love the grip in both wet and dry. Was tempted to change when I first got the bike, but stayed with them as I was happy with their performance.

New Bike comes with Bridgestone BattleAxe A41. I have read a lot if great things about them so I am looking forward to trying them out. I get the new bike on Monday

Well unfortunately the new bike came with Anakee 3. The bike I tested had the Bridgestone BattleAxe A41 which were great, but I really do not like the Anakee 3. I found them noisy and the seem to have a very squishy (On another thread here somewhere they likened it to feeling like the tyre is walking out) feeling when lent over. I do not like that feeling at all as to me it feels like its got no grip at all.

I guess I will just have to give them a bit more of a chance as well as I have only done 150 miles on them, and it may just be that it is different to what I am used to. Not sure what they are like in the wet, but living in the UK and going into winter I am sure I will find out soon.

2014 r1200gsa te came with Anakee 3's and they were frankly cack, noisy, slippy in the wet and although they didn't wear quickly they were utter puncture magnets (3 rears in 14 months).

That bike ended up going from them to Pilot Road 4 trails which were nearly as bad and then finally ended up running on Avons which were excellent tyres but wore very quickly.

My 2018 model gsa came with Anakee 3's which performed much better in the wet and dry, were much quieter but wore very quickly (rear down to 3mm after just over 2100 miles), they were replaced with Dunlop Trailsmart Max's which have performed very well in the wet and dry and after 2500 miles the rear tyre still has 6mm tread depth

So far I’m very pleased with the Roadtec 01s, after a bit of riding in the UK they have done about 1500 miles in 8 days riding around Spain and Portugal, not much motorway but a lot of A sized roads, mountain roads, some of which are narrow, rough surface finish but not many potholes.

Still too early to estimate how long they will last but no immediate signs of wear.

Roadtec 01's good mileage !

I need to replace my rear tyre, which I had fitted on 08/03/2018, it has done an incredible 11,382 miles !

When you consider the first 16090 miles I had a set of Anakees and two sets of Tourance Next.

If I had not been satisfied with the mileage i'd have tried the latest PRs.

Makes price negotiation tricky

That's impressive, coming up on 15000km's on PR5's on my TC with surprisingly much rubber left still, gonna aim for 20k on them but we'll see if they last that long.

Best street tire currently for fast road riding on the GS-LC is the Conti RA3...:thumb2
Amazing tire !

I will second that,only done about 520 on them at the mo but what an improvment over the anekee as i stay on the black stuff,going to Norway in August so that will be a good test :thumb

Just had my tyres changed to Tourances by coopers Sunderland Foc when I complained about the Anakee 3s the bike came with from new.
I am also off to Norway in August.

Just had my tyres changed to Tourances by coopers Sunderland Foc when I complained about the Anakee 3s the bike came with from new.
I am also off to Norway in August.

Can you judge a new tyre, not even scrubbed in...........:nenau

My tyres had 600 and the noise on the motorway was awfull so,loud I could nearly hear my bluetoothe headset. Even on the short ride home the difference is massif.

My tyres had 600 and the noise on the motorway was awfull so,loud I could nearly hear my bluetoothe headset. Even on the short ride home the difference is massif.

Obviously different road surfaces will have an effect on tyre noise, maybe me coming from Harleys with noisy Dunlops, I find the A3,s not noisy, will obviously find out when I change over to the Michelin Road Trail later..........;)

The road surface plays a major part of the noise. This is my first GS after having Harley’s for over 20 years. The BMW rattles more than the harley to.

The road surface plays a major part of the noise. This is my first GS after having Harley’s for over 20 years. The BMW rattles more than the harley to.

:confused::confused::confused: you had a Harley that did not rattle......:bow:bow:bow:bow have yet to find one, for me the GS is a magic carpet in comparaison, bit of vibes between 4500 and 5000 but nothing major, that is just fuel emission regulations me-thinks, however Wunderlich up and back risers sorted that 99%

Used redline oil in all my Harley’s and it makes such a difference to the rattles. Still got a 2001 heritage with 56k on it. Replaced the cam chain tensioner last year but the old ones where in great condition due to the oil I use. This one doesn’t rattle either. Once I gat the Gs ran in properly I will be switching to a heavier oil. I have the pullback risers on the GS and it’s a lot more comfortable off to Norway in August so time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom