Spokes Loose across the Pond

Bikerboy108

Reaction score
I understand there is a issue in UK also so Will try to keep it short ..I'm on advrider a lot and of course you take all the comments as they relate to issues with the bikes we ride with a grain of salt.. although some turn out as big deals like the fork recall. So read some things about loose spokes on the latest GSA's but didn't think too much of it as I got only 3,000 + miles on the bike ( mostly back roads) and had a break in service done at 910 miles

Just a little backstory I was washing the bike and was going to do an oil change so I put it up on the Centerstand and remembered reading the thread on the loose spokes...but really wasn't even thinking about it when I kneeled down and happened to put my hand on the rear wheel -it moved Laterally.. - WTF .. at first I thought maybe the wheel bolts were loose, or worse .. I rocked the wheel back and forth again and saw the spokes wiggle. went around the whole rim and wiggled all the spokes , some even seemed slightly bent as you can actually spin some between your fingers and see it wobble. ..Really couldn't believe it. Went back in garage and wheel rocks back and forth enough to make noise BUT every spoke is out of tension. NONE of the spokes are in tension and most of the 40 you can wiggle. None make a ping. So how long has it been like this I have no idea... Just glad that I caught it before a catastrophe happened.. As an aside this is my 3rd 1200 GS (2005, 2014) and close to 100,000 miles with ever having something even remotely like this happen..
So obviously have a lot of concerns.
1. How long have the spokes been loose and putting forces on the rear of the MC not intended
2. Has it compromised the Hub where the grub screw are loose
3. Has it compromised the rim
4. Has it compromised the tire
5. Any undue stresses on the rear , swing arm bearings etc.
6. Are the spokes or grub screws compromised, stretched, stripped etc.
My first inclination was to try to tighten them BUT everything I read is they are a bear to get under the right tension and are any items spokes, wheel tires etc. compromised So on thinking about it I didn't want to "Muddy the waters"
Pat from Jersey

<iframe width="966" height="543" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HsdHDZVYTjk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

There has been a spate of 'callipers in spokes'

Everyone has gone down the route of loose bolts, failing castings etc etc.

It's pretty clear to me that the wheel has got so much flex in it with the loose spokes that its touching the calliper and the rest is history.

I'm sorry .... Ive had a slating on here by the GS lovers for being a 'hater' :rolleyes: but it's just one thing after another with BM.

I will never buy another!!!!

There has been a spate of 'callipers in spokes'

Everyone has gone down the route of loose bolts, failing castings etc etc.

It's pretty clear to me that the wheel has got so much flex in it with the loose spokes that its touching the calliper and the rest is history.

I'm sorry .... Ive had a slating on here by the GS lovers for being a 'hater' :rolleyes: but it's just one thing after another with BM.

I will never buy another!!!!

Poor example, the rider admitted to changing the brake pads right before this happened and you know it. Pretty obvious he did something wrong

Dealer picking up bike tomorrow!! He said BMW issued a Puma ??? On the wheels?? Whatever a Puma is ?? Anyone know??

Dealer picking up bike tomorrow!! He said BMW issued a Puma ??? On the wheels?? Whatever a Puma is ?? Anyone know??

What I was told is that any warranty/reliability issues,safety failures of bikes still within the dealer service umbrella are logged and the importer service staff are made aware , a puma notice is generated and the results are forwarded back to the factory/Munich headquarters.

Once an issue is identified then a full safety recall may be issued (in the UK via the dealer network for bikes still in the service network or warranty and/ or the DVLA ) .

On a non safety critical failure it may be incorporated into the service schedule as a check item to be monitored before further action is taken

Well I'm due to make a DIY 12000 mile service shortly.

Which will include rear wheel removal, spoke check, Final Drive shaft check, caliper removal and clean, new brake pads with new caliper bolts.

So I'm watching it all.... very closely....

I understand there is a issue in UK also so Will try to keep it short ..I'm on advrider a lot and of course you take all the comments as they relate to issues with the bikes we ride with a grain of salt.. although some turn out as big deals like the fork recall. So read some things about loose spokes on the latest GSA's but didn't think too much of it as I got only 3,000 + miles on the bike ( mostly back roads) and had a break in service done at 910 miles

Just a little backstory I was washing the bike and was going to do an oil change so I put it up on the Centerstand and remembered reading the thread on the loose spokes...but really wasn't even thinking about it when I kneeled down and happened to put my hand on the rear wheel -it moved Laterally.. - WTF .. at first I thought maybe the wheel bolts were loose, or worse .. I rocked the wheel back and forth again and saw the spokes wiggle. went around the whole rim and wiggled all the spokes , some even seemed slightly bent as you can actually spin some between your fingers and see it wobble. ..Really couldn't believe it. Went back in garage and wheel rocks back and forth enough to make noise BUT every spoke is out of tension. NONE of the spokes are in tension and most of the 40 you can wiggle. None make a ping. So how long has it been like this I have no idea... Just glad that I caught it before a catastrophe happened.. As an aside this is my 3rd 1200 GS (2005, 2014) and close to 100,000 miles with ever having something even remotely like this happen..
So obviously have a lot of concerns.
1. How long have the spokes been loose and putting forces on the rear of the MC not intended
2. Has it compromised the Hub where the grub screw are loose
3. Has it compromised the rim
4. Has it compromised the tire
5. Any undue stresses on the rear , swing arm bearings etc.
6. Are the spokes or grub screws compromised, stretched, stripped etc.
My first inclination was to try to tighten them BUT everything I read is they are a bear to get under the right tension and are any items spokes, wheel tires etc. compromised So on thinking about it I didn't want to "Muddy the waters"
Pat from Jersey

My advice is not to try and fix yourself; trying to tighten spokes with an inflated tyre on the rim is not advisable anyway. Yours sounds serious and is a safety concern; I would call out BMW recovery and get it trucked back to the dealer. They can sort you out a replacement machine and have yours until it is repaired.

New wheel

Just an update ... Dealer is picking bike up tomorrow and New rear wheel has been ordered...I was told that if 7 or less spokes loose they tighten them...IF MORE they replace wheel...In my case ALL 40 spokes were loose

Well I'm due to make a DIY 12000 mile service shortly.

Which will include rear wheel removal, spoke check, Final Drive shaft check, caliper removal and clean, new brake pads with new caliper bolts.

So I'm watching it all.... very closely....

That is if your tools arrive in time..........;)

That is if your tools arrive in time..........;)

Nah, I'm going ahead anyways, can't hang around waiting for them.

I'll do everything else this month. Then drop the oil again in Nov/Dec when tools arrive to check valves and cams

Pity you don't live closer, you could have given me a hand :D

Dealer called today - my spokes have been tightened.... let’s see how long for...

Dealer called today - my spokes have been tightened.... let’s see how long for...
And that is the problem. My 2018 GSA has had a new back wheel and re-tensioned front wheel spokes after 3000 miles. I asked the dealer 2 questions. First, what guarantee can you give me that this wont happen again and secondly, what advice are you giving to owners as to how to keep a check on spoke tension? They couldnt answer either question. This problem is going to run and run

Thought they automatically changed the wheel, smells fishy.

AS PER CORPORATE IN USA
New wheel
Just an update ... Dealer is picking bike up tomorrow and New rear wheel has been ordered...I was told that if 7 or less spokes loose they tighten them...IF MORE they replace wheel...In my case ALL 40 spokes were loose

Poor example, the rider admitted to changing the brake pads right before this happened and you know it. Pretty obvious he did something wrong

Sorry, it’s not at all obvious, it may be possible but wasn’t obvious when I first read this thread and even less certain since the proliferation of ‘dong’ spokes has surfaced

Back
Top Bottom