2019 - CE requirement on clothing & VAT

wessie

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been discussed - don't recall it.

Helmets are zero rated for VAT as they are recognised as PPE.

From some time next year, April I think, anything sold as motorcycle clothing will have to meet CE standards.

Will this be full PPE standard meaning clothing will be zero rated or something lesser than PPE?

I wish it was made mandatory.

Freedom of choice is all well and good but they never consider the people that have to pick up the pieces after it all goes wrong.....

Freedom of choice is all well and good but they never consider the people that have to pick up the pieces after it all goes wrong.....

and then where do you stop? Cyclists, horse riders, pedestrians?

Not sure if this has been discussed - don't recall it.

Helmets are zero rated for VAT as they are recognised as PPE.

From some time next year, April I think, anything sold as motorcycle clothing will have to meet CE standards.

Will this be full PPE standard meaning clothing will be zero rated or something lesser than PPE?

Even fire extinguishers are not zero rated and, unlike motorcycle clothing which firstly keeps you comfortable and protects against the elements, you can't argue they are anything other than pure emergency/safety equipment. Don't hold your breath.

Ce aproved gloves are required in France so if we stayed in the eu then I don't see why not

At the moment, the reason motorcycle helmets are 0 rated is because they're compulsary to ride with one in the UK. Other motorcycle clothing will not yet be required to be used on a motorcycle, but for retailers like ourselves to sell the goods, they have to be CE approved as of april 2019 (was supposed to be 2018, but they pushed the date back as they haven't even set the standards as of yet)

Fingers crossed with time at least gloves and boots should become compulsary to ride with in the UK, but I think if it does happen it will be quite a long time before we see it.

As of April 2019, manufacturers.. RST, Dainese, Alpinestars cannot supply retailers with "none CE certified clothing". That's all items where the whole garment isn't fully approved.. even if the armour inside the jacket is. I'm going to guess though, this date will be pushed back. The good news for us retailers is that we're allowed to sell anything we have in stock still as a "grace" period so it can still be bought by the end consumer, most likely relatively cheaply too.

Time will tell on this kind of thing, it's super difficult to manage and monitor, but when it's in place it'll do the clothing market good eventually when all the poorly made clothing is off the market.

Back
Top Bottom