Paul G (BHT)

Creator
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
Dear Orange people,

A friend of mine gave me the keys, well it was keyless but he said “ju’wanna go mista?”, to his 2017 1290 Adventure S recently and I have to say.... “wow, what a machine”.

To make matters worse he then said “ju’wanna buy it in 6 months time?”. I have to say I struggled with making such a major decision and it took me all of 3.4 nano seconds to say yes.

So in true newbie style expect some dumb questions over the coming weeks. The first couple of questions being are these fine examples of Austrian engineering made of Austrian parts or do some parts come from Chinese sweat shops made out of cheese?
Secondly, do we know what sort of miles these motors are good for?

Well at least he’s got a buyer lined up, which saves him that task

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UKTMer Ahoy :)

There are a few high milers about. They seem to give little trouble if looked after.

This lady's bike seems to have fared quite well.

UKTMer Ahoy :)

There are a few high milers about. They seem to give little trouble if looked after.

This lady's bike seems to have fared quite well.
I forgot you 'saw the light' many years ago :thumb2

Anna'a Katoom is certainly well travelled.

Yaaaaaaaaay, about fecking time :JB:JB:JB

Welcome :beerjug:

Andres

PS Should'a got a 'R' :thumb
S.... R.... whatsthedifferencethen?

Looks like the R has a 30mm higher seat..... that's me fooked then :D

Dear Orange people,

A friend of mine gave me the keys, well it was keyless but he said “ju’wanna go mista?”, to his 2017 1290 Adventure S recently and I have to say.... “wow, what a machine”.

To make matters worse he then said “ju’wanna buy it in 6 months time?”. I have to say I struggled with making such a major decision and it took me all of 3.4 nano seconds to say yes.

So in true newbie style expect some dumb questions over the coming weeks. The first couple of questions being are these fine examples of Austrian engineering made of Austrian parts or do some parts come from Chinese sweat shops made out of cheese?
Secondly, do we know what sort of miles these motors are good for?

The motors last longer than LC spoked wheels if that’s a help?

I’ve got the 1290 SD GT and while it’s only done 5k miles it’s not used any oil since the first service which is always good.

Buy a radiator guard because KTM radiators aren’t the most robust ones I’ve ever seen and a stone flicked up on a motorway service station forecourt made me spend 3 days on the lash in Hungary while I waited for a new one to arrive :blast

Only got 16k on my 1190, but it has now done about 7 Tours of varying lengths from long weekends in the UK, to @3,000 milers to the Alps, always been faultless. Not seen many (non KTM Sponsored) high milers around, but how long do you need it to last?

I think they need a bit more loving care than a Jap bike, like changing Fuel filters before they clog, but the general build and finish I would say is above most bikes out there, mine looks like new.

Airboxes are known to be a bit shit - but only really an issue if you plan to ride in the desert, and with the 1290S the gadgets concern me most, I reckon the things most likely to fuck up before 50k and cost a fortune are the Keyless ignition, TFT Screen, Semi Active Suspension - 3 reasons I am very tempted to hang on to my primitive 1190 - although that still can suffer from what appears to be a dreaded syndrome known as "MTC Failure" which appears to stump owners, dealer and KTM themselves....

...but the average GS would of probably shat 10 final drives,6 gearboxes and 7 clutches in that time, assuming it had not just rotted away to a pile of rust in your garage first.

I prefer the R suspension, and it can be argued it is badass as it is a 160BHP off road bike, including the narrow 21" front wheel, which is not so great where most people ride these things on the road - and the suspension is conventional easy to service / replace stuff.

Got to agree with Rasher. My 1190 has 28k on it now (15 plate) and we're going to Spain and Portugal tomorrow so reckon on another 1500 miles. I've had the same MTC Failure warning but it seems to be cured by turning off and on again....

The only time I've had problems was after the dealer did the 18k major service and didn't refit the breather pipe properly as well as overfilling the oil and both those errors led to what looked like a major oil leak after sustained motorway use. They put it right FOC but it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Keyless ignition is pointless and just a breakdown waiting to happen and the TFT screens aren't going to be cheap to replace if they go tits up. I'll stick with the old fashioned Game Boy clocks on my 1190.... Which were cutting edge when launched 5 years ago

You're kidding!

How on earth did that happen?

Andres

Not kidding.

Maybe a misdirected hose put the water in, maybe rain, I'm not sure? Pretty sure what happened though is that you get a substantial pool of water on the dirty side of the air filter which doesn't drain away as the drain is not in the low point of the air box :blast this then soaks through the filter and forms another pool on the clean side. This tries to drain away, but the drain hose has a bolt stuck in the end so it doesn't suck dirt, but the hose filled up and the rest of the water stayed in the air box.

No harm done luckily, but it was at that point that I lost patience with KTM's piss poor airbox design. Not a cheap solution, but I got a nice free mug, a balsa wood glider and two packets of Haribos thrown into the box :)

IMG_7806-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom