Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. Fantastic service and unbelievable performance.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: 1250 Video

Well, I like the new GS!

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
    Well, I like the new GS!

Me too! Although, will compare the 1250 vs an updated XR with TFT when it comes to replacing my GS

Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    I cannot understand why Ducati and KTM don’t have a shaft, surely they would make inroads into the GS dominance with it.
    Maybe weigh a chain/sprocket and compare with a shaft drive for one.

I prefer shaft drive but actually get an odd satisfaction from cleaning the chain back to shiny new. Now I've fitted a Cobra oiler life will get even easier! It's no biggy. You still have to clean shaft drive parts and servicing it at the dealers is expensive for what you get. Compare a chain/sprocket change to a shaft drive repair. You could go on and on with pro's for each concept really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Me too! Although, will compare the 1250 vs an updated XR with TFT when it comes to replacing my GS
    They are quite different, but the XR is a hoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsey View Post
    The bike looks a bit of a pig still, so probably cured.......

Gold rims are an improvement....they've been looking at the class leader for ideas....
    Quote Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post
    Really don't understand the few that come into every one of these threads just to shit on anything BMW.
    I guess, living in Sydney you don't get humour !!! Pig....cured.....nope.....still over the top.....

The 1250 looks better than the 1200 and I like that paint job.Just hope the finish has improved and the engine is less rattly than the current bike.
    I still wouldn't get one as my local dealer is dreadful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerlust View Post
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

Quote Originally Posted by Smogbob View Post
    Nutty and bounce will be along soon, I do like the orange bikes, but just did not want a chain, basically, that was my reason for choosing the GS.
    I've ridden a WC, and really enjoyed it.......the SA 1290 though (for me) is just a better bike (particularly engine / build quality / finish).

As for chain drive.....the chain is a DID X ring so is bloody strong, and is regularly cleaned & lubed (via a scott oiler) & adjusted annually when new tyres are fitted.

Easy peasy
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Quote Originally Posted by ymfb View Post
    When the nearest successful selling adventure bike is the Honda AT, which sells less than either the GS or GSA you might think that Triumph, KTM and Ducati would think what makes the BMW offering so much more appealing than theirs.

Dealer availability
    Price
    Reliability
    Badge

as the detractors on this site keep poking fun at the GSs vulnerability I can only imagine that they prefer the exclusivity of the less popular models and that’s fine, it takes all sorts and would be boring if we all liked the same thing.

At the end of the day two wheels is what it’s all about.
    I would have bought a Honda AT if it had met my needs as well as the GS does, but it doesn't, even though I am a big fan of the DCT. I think the thing with the AT is that it completes well with the GS only for that small proportion of GS riders who do a lot of off-road riding - maybe 5%? Where it fails to compete successfully is as a general purpose/touring bike, one which excels on-road either solo or two-up with luggage. I think with the AT Honda are competing with the GS adventure bike image, which is a niche market, but not with the reality of how the GS is actually used.

Now if Honda were to introduce a much more road biased bike with tubeless tyres, DCT, a perhaps slightly more powerful version of the AT engine, and semi-active suspension, then they might start to be a viable alternative for the other 95% of current GS owners. At the moment it seems Honda's idea of a touring bike is the Goldwing which is a very expensive niche offering, or the very long in the tooth CrossTourer which is a somewhat mediocre bike wrapped around a great, albeit overly complex and heavy, engine.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_jb View Post
    I would have bought a Honda AT if it had met my needs as well as the GS does, but it doesn't, even though I am a big fan of the DCT. I think the thing with the AT is that it completes well with the GS only for that small proportion of GS riders who do a lot of off-road riding - maybe 5%? Where it fails to compete successfully is as a general purpose/touring bike, one which excels on-road either solo or two-up with luggage. I think with the AT Honda are competing with the GS adventure bike image, which is a niche market, but not with the reality of how the GS is actually used.

Now if Honda were to introduce a much more road biased bike with tubeless tyres, DCT, a perhaps slightly more powerful version of the AT engine, and semi-active suspension, then they might start to be a viable alternative for the other 95% of current GS owners. At the moment it seems Honda's idea of a touring bike is the Goldwing which is a very expensive niche offering, or the very long in the tooth CrossTourer which is a somewhat mediocre bike wrapped around a great, albeit overly complex and heavy, engine.
    I hope Honda don’t fuck with the AT/ATAS to tempt GS owners .

The latest version is brilliant. Just missing cruise control .
    The ATAS has more than enough poke, great comfort , 280 mile range to reserve and the finish is like BMs were 20 years ago .

I really don’t want semi active suspension and other crap , ta anyway .

I’m sure the new 1250 will delight many current GS owners who like such bikes.

But we all have a choice .
    The LC is probably one of the highest quality and longest lasting bikes currently on sale today.

I hope Honda don’t fuck with the AT/ATAS to tempt GS owners .

The latest version is brilliant. Just missing cruise control .
    The ATAS has more than enough poke, great comfort , 280 mile range to reserve and the finish is like BMs were 20 years ago .

I really don’t want semi active suspension and other crap , ta anyway .

I’m sure the new 1250 will delight many current GS owners who like such bikes.

But we all have a choice .
    I thought the day would never come. But here goes:
    Well said

Belonging to the large group of owners of more than one bike, some times I also appreciate the simplicity of a more basic bike. In a head to head compareson test my 1200 GSA LC is better than my F800 GS in every way. But every time that I ride my 800 it makes me smile. Its lower weight, narrow body (I do not use cases) and all in all basic simplicity brings up a good feeling when riding it.
    Even if the GSA is a super bike it would be a great loss to us all if all others tried to copy it merely to get a peace of the cake.

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post
    I thought the day would never come. But here goes:
    Well said

Belonging to the large group of owners of more than one bike, some times I also appreciate the simplicity of a more basic bike. In a head to head compareson test my 1200 GSA LC is better than my F800 GS in every way. But every time that I ride my 800 it makes me smile. Its lower weight, narrow body (I do not use cases) and all in all basic simplicity brings up a good feeling when riding it.
    Even if the GSA is a super bike it would be a great loss to us all if all others tried to copy it merely to get a peace of the cake.
    I love my 800GS too , actually.

I wasn't suggesting Honda changed the current AT, but that they introduce a more road biased sister bike to better compete with the GS, a bit like Triumph with their XC and XR ranges.

Why would it be so wrong to have more real competition for the GS? BMW have an unhealthy dominance in this market at the moment. A bit more competition might concentrate minds a little more on some of the quality/reliabilty issues!

I wasn't suggesting Honda changed the current AT, but that they introduce a more road biased sister bike to better compete with the GS, a bit like Triumph with their XC and XR ranges.

Why would it be so wrong to have more real competition for the GS? BMW have an unhealthy dominance in this market at the moment. A bit more competition might concentrate minds a little more on some of the quality/reliabilty issues!

Good point , but personally I see the current AT/ATAS as perfectly road-biased.

I owned the 2016 AT and toured all over Europe with it solo/two up and now have the ATAS which I’ve also toured two up.

I really can’t see why people bang on about needing tubeless wheels ? But then again I’ve not had a puncture .

And I love the 21/18 wheels so would probably look past a version with naff cast wheels and smaller wider rims.

Good point , but personally I see the current AT/ATAS as perfectly road-biased.

I owned the 2016 AT and toured all over Europe with it solo/two up and now have the ATAS which I’ve also toured two up.

I really can’t see why people bang on about needing tubeless wheels ? But then again I’ve not had a puncture .

And I love the 21/18 wheels so would probably look past a version with naff cast wheels and smaller wider rims.
    That's fair enough and good to hear that it copes well two-up as some reviews were a little negative on that point. I've never even tested the AT, so have no first hand experience, though we sat on one at the NEC last year. I liked it, but my wife was not so keen. However, the tubed tyres were a showstopper for me, as however unlikely it might be, I would never forgive myself if a blowout at speed caused an accident with my wife on board.

That's fair enough and good to hear that it copes well two-up as some reviews were a little negative on that point. I've never even tested the AT, so have no first hand experience, though we sat on one at the NEC last year. I liked it, but my wife was not so keen. However, the tubed tyres were a showstopper for me, as however unlikely it might be, I would never forgive myself if a blowout at speed caused an accident with my wife on board.
    Really ?? More chance of exploding GS wheels/spokes than a tube popping !! Take the car to be sure if I were you !! 🤪

Really ?? More chance of exploding GS wheels/spokes than a tube popping !! Take the car to be sure if I were you !! 🤪
    I went for cast wheels so have avoided the spokes fiasco. Everyone's risk threshold is different, though I would concede that a sudden deflation with modern tubed tyres and rims is pretty unlikely.

I went for cast wheels so have avoided the spokes fiasco. Everyone's risk threshold is different, though I would concede that a sudden deflation with modern tubed tyres and rims is pretty unlikely.
    Cast wheels ? Mind those pot holes !!!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast