bmw 1100gs rear shock replacement

donkeydoo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Going to change the stock rear shock on my 98 1100gs over the winter as plan to go touring next year with luggage and pillion.

Is it quite straight forward and are there any probs I am likely to encounter?

Cheers so much in advance for any tips

Mark

2up + luggage - get a proper Hyperpro with a progressive spring and add a Hydraulic preloader adjuster (Hyperpro calls it HPA) if often switching between solo rides. Better than the original and I've found Hyperpro is much more reliable than Öhlins or Wilbers for example.

Replacement is fairly straightforward, other than you have to remove the brake caliper and rear wheel the rest is fairly easy - remove the original HPA then one bolt under the seat, the other on the swingarm and it should come off. Reverse the process on installation, obviously. Stick the HPA hose inbetween the air-box and rear fender plastic so the shock spring doesn't scrub it while working, the same as it was on the original shock.

Cheers so much for the reply, will save my pennies and get onto in the winter.

YSS are also a decent option if budget doesn't stretch to ohlins/wilbers. No experience of hyperpro.

Just make sure you take the tension out of the existing shock when trying to remove it after taking off the rear wheel ( with the bike only on the centre stand as those lug-bolts are hellish-tight ), then up on the centre stand when you've cracked each one off its locked position.

Put a carjack under the Paralever arm swivel under the final drive casting ( using a protective pad of timber to protect the paint - of course ) and tweak it up and down to modify the tension on the shock as you try to undo the bolt under the seat. It's like trying to change a water in-line filter with the main water supply full on. You have to turn it off to release the tension.
For some strange reason, the head of my bolt was a fourteen, but the nut at the other end was a fifteen ! Why ?

Just make sure you take the tension out of the existing shock when trying to remove it after taking off the rear wheel ( with the bike only on the centre stand as those lug-bolts are hellish-tight ), then up on the centre stand when you've cracked each one off its locked position.

It's an 1100, the bottom of the shock is held by a nut and lot the same as the top mount - not a single bolt as in the 1150.

Cheers guys for all the advise,

Was just a little worried at first but now have the confidence to do this myself..

Cheers again

Mark

As Tsiklonaut says, you're better off swapping the OEM item for a decent aftermarket - I went for a Nitron (fitted and set up for my weight by MCT Suspension in Stowmarket).

Again as Tsiklonaut says, get a hydraulic preload adjuster on your new shock! Years of being single and obviously 1-up motorcycle holidays, my Nitron has the standard collar for adjusting the preload cos I figured it would be fit and forget. Not-so-fast-forward three weeks after fitting and I get myself a girlie who loves going pillion and a we now commute by bike - changing the preload without an HPA is a major PITA (on my 1150 at least).

hyperpro

hi all where is the best place to buy a hyperpro rear shock for my 1100 gs there is calisport on ebay best place anybody.:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom