Looks like 1250 engine has fairly major structural changes

fred_jb

Reaction score
I've been having a closer look at the picture of the new 1250 and have concluded that rather than just new cylinders/heads and exhaust, it is actually a completely new engine. If you compare the following pictures you can see that relative to the frame, which appears unchanged, the cylinder head is both higher and further forward than the current engine, and the oil level window looks to be in a slightly different position. If true this must mean that the new engine has different crankcases and a modified internal structure, which could have implications for weight distribution and handling. It also seems that the O2 sensors have moved or been removed.

exclusive-1-M.jpg

BMW-R1250GS.jpg

Two different angles though, top bike is upright and the bottom is on the sidestand. Hard to tell though but I'm not sure it's that much different

It’s got Africa Twin colouring, they do say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :hide:hide

It’s got Africa Twin colouring, they do say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery :hide:hide

Yup,agreed.

It's also branded an HP so I bet the standard bikes are the usual slightly boring offerings such as blue,red and beige like before.

Two different angles though, top bike is upright and the bottom is on the sidestand. Hard to tell though but I'm not sure it's that much different

I did wonder whether the angles, and presumably fatter cylinders could explain the apparent differences, and you could be right. It will be interesting to see. My local dealer says they will have one of the new bikes in October.

Just managed to get some stills from the video which seem to confirm the engine is substantially the same as before - so sorry about the false alarm! :hide

It looks like the cylinders are substantially higher judging by the position of the forward frame bolt holes both above and below the cylinder. Slightly higher CoG?
Unless of course the frame has been fiddled with too.
Alan R

The difference between the 1200 - 1250 I see is
- different timing chain
- variable intake cam with 4 instead 2 cam lobes
- bigger pistons with more than 101 mm bore
People who are good at math already know how much bore...;)
Question remains if the chassis geometry is the same or has slightly changed as the GSA/Rally with sports suspension has 5 mm less trail and sits 2 cm higher than the regular GS and thus is quicker steering and has more available lean angle which makes it better for fast road riding !

Wonder if my akra headers will fit...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

F that, I'll get a new GS or GSA from stock once they're on run out then. Not buying more akra headers at £800 a pop. Once Q4 starts they should have a better/winter APR. My current bike is 3.4% I think. Wouldn't buy a bike at 9.9% where it is at the moment.
Haha, that part definitely has changed, so the aftermarket guys will have to tool up for the new headers.

Just for the record I put a deal down last week on one, I was offered a deal less than 3% so the deals were already happening for the September registrations.

Interesting. Might pop in next week.

Back
Top Bottom