Ktm 1290 adventure r pannier recommendations

cbrgaz

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking to start kitting my bike out for touring and need to get some panniers.
Looking for feedback from others who have them fitted.
I don't want the factory plastic ktm ones.

Cheers

Garry

Sent from whatever I'm using at the time

Bumot every time.
I have a set of 46/42l one on my SA-T
You can also use their soft bags if preferred.

Arsey had the hard cases, and now I believe has the Bumot soft bags

If you have an aftermarket can, then the narrower framed Holans look like a great option as well.

Bumot . Have both Defender and Xtremada panniers

5e44e8982906fd43305fa850855a7997.jpg

dd3781e0a88a71181d5949d86ea654ed.jpg

c766e2f8fa1c036887942a19e9b182f4.jpg

I have had Givi Trekker Outback on my 1190 for almost 3 years, they are good with 37L / 48L capacities and in the real world hold about twice what I can get in the KTM plastic ones (have these with my 1090). Certainly not a bad option...

..but I think the Bumot stuff looks better, not sure how they stack up on capacity and overall width.

What size bumot are people using, don’t want anything sticking out miles to take off wing mirrors.

After loads of research I went with a little known Polish company called Apduro. Their quality seems spot on from reviews I have read. The panniers fit nice and close and they even use a bmw style quick release system.
I chose their 41litre / 45 litre combination with carry straps and liner bags.
The first 3 photos are of my frames and panniers which I should recieve in the next few days. The last 3 are from their website.

Total cost for frames, panniers, liner bags and carry handles was £625 delivered which I don't think is bad.
558b30bf8bcc470f501cdacc25a86264.jpg
8633f477b37f81f8343980f5498dfbab.jpg
7fc35951f5542c2b6f4ad9b39bd61a01.jpg
a9ed34aced0a08359a20cce4317733bd.jpg
5fb4b34a6dfff5bf0a602ffbb8c55611.jpg
35cc8dff16deed459b4c0620c6bc5505.jpg

For me the Bumots are too wide looking, Holan are good and those Apduro look good too.

For me the Bumots are too wide looking, Holan are good and those Apduro look good too.
That's the issue I had with the bumots too. I've had them on my last 2 bikes and really rated the frames and panniers, but couldn't bring myself to buy them this time around.

They look about the same width as my KTM Branded Givi Trekkers (47/37L)

They are indeed wide, but only a couple of inches (each side) wider than the latest 1090 / 1290 panniers which I have on the 1090, even with the KTM ones the bike is pretty wide (wider than the GS Varios when fully expanded) but they hold very little, although they claim something like 40L / 30L the diamond shaped lid and very odd exhaust side shape means in capacity terms they hold far less than you might think.

So despite on paper them having about 80% of the Givi capacity, I reckon in reality it is more like 60-65%, plenty for a solo traveller, but not for a week plus two-up, which the big metal panniers are excellent for.

The filtering is limited with the OE panniers to a fair degree, I would rather have slightly less filtering ability and 50% more space as once I get off the train at Calais I don't have to filter until I hit the M25 again on the way home.

BTW, I found some very decent pannier liners on E-Bay, they only had the old model, but I contacted them and they were about to start selling ones for the newer shape panniers so I got the first pair, very good considering the cost.

I'd recommend THESE but then I woud wouldn't I? :aidan

Maybe not as roughty toughty adventure looking, but the best compromise I could find between storage volume and width...

After loads of research I went with a little known Polish company called Apduro. Their quality seems spot on from reviews I have read. The panniers fit nice and close and they even use a bmw style quick release system.
I chose their 41litre / 45 litre combination with carry straps and liner bags.
The first 3 photos are of my frames and panniers which I should recieve in the next few days. The last 3 are from their website.

Total cost for frames, panniers, liner bags and carry handles was £625 delivered which I don't think is bad.
558b30bf8bcc470f501cdacc25a86264.jpg
8633f477b37f81f8343980f5498dfbab.jpg
7fc35951f5542c2b6f4ad9b39bd61a01.jpg
a9ed34aced0a08359a20cce4317733bd.jpg
5fb4b34a6dfff5bf0a602ffbb8c55611.jpg
35cc8dff16deed459b4c0620c6bc5505.jpg

Nice I like that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice I like that!

Well they have turned up and look superb. Everything is really well made and the fit and finish is first class. I can highly recommend them.

Well they have turned up and look superb. Everything is really well made and the fit and finish is first class. I can highly recommend them.

Sweet! If I end up with 1290s I probably will end up getting those.

I like the look of them, how wide is the bike with the two panniers fitted?

If it is a significant saving over my Givi I may be temped to switch.

I like the look of them, how wide is the bike with the two panniers fitted?

If it is a significant saving over my Givi I may be temped to switch.
Hi Rasher,

The extreme width of the bike with both panniers fitted is 985mm, which isn't bad when considering that it has a 45L and a 41L capacity.
Having looked on the bumot website there widths are as follows -

35L / 31L combination 950mm

40L / 31L combination 1010mm

Apduro also make a smaller pannier set which is 41L / 35L which he informed me are 30mm narrower per pannier so that would make the bike 925mm wide and still have more capacity than either of the above.

I'm just in the middle of designing a mounting plate to install a givi toolbox to the spare space inboard of the lefthand frame.
So I'll gain more capacity and fill in the current gap to boot. I'll post some photos of everything once I have the toolbox installed.
If anyone else decides to get these panniers ill happily share the autocad file so they can get their own mounts made.

Cheers

Garry
294b7590ef9b2722f41cfeb8484ec596.jpg

Gary, Thank you for sharing this.

Can you please tell me if Kriega KS40 will fit inside ether of the boxes? Lengh of the box is a main area of enquiry. I know that it does fit into my GIVI Trekker Outback panders but these Apduro look slightly shorter than my GIVI ones.

Can you please also let me know how tall and how long they are.

Thank you

EV

Gary, Thank you for sharing this.

Can you please tell me if Kriega KS40 will fit inside ether of the boxes? Lengh of the box is a main area of enquiry. I know that it does fit into my GIVI Trekker Outback panders but these Apduro look slightly shorter than my GIVI ones.

Can you please also let me know how tall and how long they are.

Thank you

EV
Hi,

I have had the ks40 liner bags myself and doubt they'll fit inside. The apduro panniers have a reinforcing double bend on the inner rim that reduces the opening size.
The opening in each pannier 45 and 41 that I have measures 403mm x 224mm, but the corners are mitred too.

I've taken a photo to show you.

Cheers

Garry
5356737e36f69f4d12fd6fec71c2872f.jpg

Hi,

I have had the ks40 liner bags myself and doubt they'll fit inside. The apduro panniers have a reinforcing double bend on the inner rim that reduces the opening size.
The opening in each pannier 45 and 41 that I have measures 403mm x 224mm, but the corners are mitred too.

I've taken a photo to show you.

Cheers

Garry
5356737e36f69f4d12fd6fec71c2872f.jpg

Yes they are shorter than GIVI at 490mm overall length.

Yes they are shorter than GIVI at 490mm overall length.

The liner bags that apduro supply are good quality, so I wouldn't not buy them for the reason of liner bags.

Back
Top Bottom