HID dipped light occasionally fails to fire up?

Shane

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
1150GS 03 .
I hope I've answered this myself however, my dipped HID light has failed a couple of times recently to fire up is this an indication of a failing battery? although it will start the bike no problem. Is it another issue?

1150GS 03 .
I hope I've answered this myself however, my dipped HID light has failed a couple of times recently to fire up is this an indication of a failing battery? although it will start the bike no problem. Is it another issue?

It could be the voltage booster box used to apply the high voltage to initiate the discharge bulb.
Disconnect all terminals and clean them, use dielectric grease. And see if that works.

Sent from Steve's fancy iPad using Tapatalk

It could be the voltage booster box used to apply the high voltage to initiate the discharge bulb.
Disconnect all terminals and clean them, use dielectric grease. And see if that works.

Thanks Steve will give that a go.

1150GS 03 .

Its illegal now in the UK, so you might as well get it changed :)

Likely to be the ballast box but as mentioned if the rules are strictly followed it would fail an MOT.

Illegal Bugger. Thanks for the heads up.
What are the legal options now ?
Going back to the basic lights is not desirable .
I presume it’s been long debated on here somewhere
Better start searching.

The reflectors/Lenses are not specifically designed for HIDs MOT regulations changed recently to class fitment as a fail.

afbb9cf051c45e51301f5aa5fbfa1d11.png

https://assets.publishing.service.g...lasses-3-4-5-and-7-from-20-may-2018-draft.pdf

Go back to standard headlights and fit HID spots - as far as I can see these do not come under MOT, certainly never mentioned when I took my GS for MOT week before last.

1150GS 03 .

Funny, I took my 1150 GSA '03 for an MOT yesterday and it has a HID dipped beam, it passed without a problem and the light was working as I sat on the bike whilst the beam angle was checked.

Fire the bike up this morning and the HID has now stopped working.

I took my 2002 1150gsa for it’s MOT. Nice ride beforehand. Tester reported an oil leak from the final drive .
Buggered big bearing (how the hell!). After 15yrs ownership, what a day for it to happen but luckily, a mile from home.

Back
Top Bottom