Thread: New to me- 2008 BMW GS 1200 Adventure

New Member (less than 15 Posts)

New to me- 2008 BMW GS 1200 Adventure

Hi, been a member of the forum for some time, but only just got my hands on GS adventure, the bike is brilliant, handles superb ( even though it's the first time I have rode one) but I have a question - the bike came with a Touratech sat nav mount, for a Garmin sat nav, but no sat nav, I'm not sure if I can post pics yet, but the type of connection is at the bottom facing upwards, I'm wondering if I can source a garmin or if it would be cheaper and quicker to buy a different sat nav...

Any help greatly received

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Hi & welcome, congrats on new bike..
    Gonna need a picture but if it’s an original 2009 sat nav mount im guessing a Garmin 550, there are occasionally a few coming up on here but they’re gettin old now & well used, they worked really well (& still do) but I would upgrade the mount & the nav itself to (if you stay with Garmin) a newer Nav 5 (or 6) but the 5 I had was perfect.

Greetings & welcome to the forum....

As Phil mentioned, a picture would speed up giving you the correct answer.....2nd hand sat navs do offer good value for money, especially if you're working within a tight budget.

That said, ther are some decent deals to be hand on new Garmins....& Tom Tom's.
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Also the £10 joining fee lets you view the for sale section, very useful if your looking for parts

Cheers guys ( or gals- don't want to sexist in any way) as soon as I get time I will take a few pics and see if I can post, just wish I had more time to take it out...

Pic Of Current Sat Nav Holder with Touratech Bracket

IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/whclza5pqa763r6/2018-09-16%2016.08.46.jpg?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by ellmo1969 View Post
    IMG]https://www.dropbox.com/s/whclza5pqa763r6/2018-09-16%2016.08.46.jpg?dl=0
    Try again.....
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Mommy that link worked for me- just took a while to load...

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    Try again.....
    Lol, don't know what I'm doing wrong here, like. But that link worked for me it just took a while to load up....

Yep, that is a 550 mount. I believe the 550 is still supported by Garmin with updates and a perfectly good sat nav. As others have said....the best £12 you will spend will be on subscription as it will allow you into the buy and sell bit which is free and shall we say “vibrant” in that allot of stuff passes through the site.

I’ll be selling the BMW Nav IV from my old bike which will fit yours, with all brackets, cables etc. Just got to get my arse in gear and find all the boxes and stuff.
    18 BMW R1200GS Adventure Rallye