Top Box and Panniers

Hey i have just purchased the same bike as you, and i will receive the givi trekker outback complete set with 42 top box 48 left pannier 37 right pannier and mounting plate for both
I paid 870£ from an ebay shop called M&P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5a9a2343f7992bf1144bdf97570c1fba.jpg

Here's my setup. I went with a Givi Outback Trekker 42ltr with an SW motech alu-rack and quick lock adapter. I might go with the 58ltr for next year. Space was a bit tight for 2+ weeks in France.
1e53be0bc0caa355bb3bd4161c8bf6d6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rack
35a2a1b6df22d784c36b7eeb8f081509.jpg

Plate
bbcbec2a906f57f7ae28a50bd3014a34.jpg

Top Box
ae1b75b4c98b57144230f3f5595bcf16.jpg

And the best bit- the wall bracket.
63ee7192c69653105e22892c0937718d.jpg

And rack and top box bought off here for very reasonable money. If you are patient you can pick up everything for a fraction of the costs.

Are there any non BMW top boxes that fit on to BMW scaffolding? My GSA Rallye came with BMW aluminium panniers and a top box rack, but the standard BMW top box is a tad on the small side. Ideally I would like to keep with the BMW fittings bit reslise that a GIVI may be the best route ( are GIVI racks easy to add/remove?)

Hi. same here... Sorry to hijack. I was looking at Givi trekker outback 58 litre top box... i can see 2 monokey plates for it : aluminium one(6kg max load ) and a plastic one (which is rated at 10kg). Which rack to go for?..... Thanks.

I had a Givi Outback 58litre aluminium one on my gslc. It seemed to cause a bit of instability at motorway speeds-- a gentle weave from side to side. Never alarming or uncontrollable but not nice. I figured that must be the reason why bmw dont offer a big box for the gs...?

givi 58 litre fitted.

Yox, you asked for a picture of the Givi 58 outback...

Attachments

• IMG_20180625_074657.jpg
    IMG_20180625_074657.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 240
Yox, you asked for a picture of the Givi 58 outback...

Cheers Steve, It doesn't look too big in that pic. Since my searching began, a 2nd hand Bumot case came up so that now sits on the back. Doesn't take two helmets though so I've had to compromise.

I could still open the pannier lids of the Holan panniers with a slight push to one side so it worked fairly well. Very easy to overload it though...
The holan topbox clips straight onto the bmw adventure rack with no adaptor plate. The base is 3cm lower than the givi box was when mounted on the vario rack with adaptor plate.

I have the 58L Givi box on my GSA, combined with the BMW alu-cases. The Givi case needs an extra plate mounted on top of the rack. Fitting takes 5 min, so quite easy to fit. I use the BMW 35L topbox most of the time, riding solo, but when I bring the boss along the extra capacity is appreciated. As a bonus the Givi case is also positioned 5 cm further back allowing for more room for the passenger. I have also used the 58L Givi riding solo, combined with the BMW side cases. Up to 185 km/h the ride is fine, but at 190 the bike starts a small weave. So for my riding I consider the speed instability a none issue (the label says max. 120 km/h)

Also, the 58L Givi blocks for the lids on the side cases to swing open, but by opening both latches there is plenty of room to lift the entire lid off. When I ride with the boss we usually use inner bags, load them in the morning and we don't access the sidecases during the day. We only need to open the top case, thus the slight blocking of the lids is a non-issue.

All in all I can recommend the Givi 58L if you need the extra space.

Thank you knutk, I may well look out for a Givi 58 in the Black Friday sale if any appear.

Back
Top Bottom