Hydraulic Clutch Slave Cylinder - the absolute swining load of tosh

sykospain

Reaction score
When I pulled the wretched thing off Motorcycling Mo's giant year-'04 GSA, there for us both to see with the aid of the flashy CREE flashlight was the typical little puddle of rank-smelling fluid sitting in the bottom of the cavity, and the seal in there was as black as whatever you can think of that's black and crinkly and 'orrible.

So please folks - ¿ how does one get the effing thing out and then put in the new ¿orange? one, before fitting the expensive new and prolly equally failure-prone slave cylinder ?

What a depressing sight : -

Clutch_Slave_Cyl_shitty.jpg

AL....
.... on behalf of Motorcycling Mo, who loves his old but pristine GS more than life itself....he should call it Christine LaGarde, come to think of it. She's the only one that can save us.

Use a long (and very strong) pick with a right-angled end. Insert it into the inner part of the seal, turn 90 degrees and pull it up, work your around the inside diameter of the seal pulling it up as you go. It'll eventually start to move, once it does it's game over the for seal.

Inset new one with fingers to start it off, then tap into place and the correct depth using a long socket of the same diameter as the seal..

You can check out my own post on exactly this same job. http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/462711-Clutch-lever-suddenly-reaching-handlebar

There's a picture of the tool i made. Once made, it was out in seconds. Got plenty of screwdrivers, so quit happy to re-appropriate it :)

I think others get a screw into it, but the bearing is right behind, so take it easy. Oh, while i remember, there is no shoulder to seat this seal. So make a note of where it is positioned now for when you fit the new one :thumb2

I think that BMW recommends it sits between 3 & 6mm below flush ? I replaced one recently and it took a bent and twisted old smoothed off screwdriver to get it moving as the slave had started to leak and brake fluid had perished the original input seal..some moisture got involved and the bugger of a thing was well stuck in place. Don't scratch any of the faces :rolleyes:

Muchissimas graçias, muchachos - especially to Neil and for the link provided by Slipperyeel.

Sometimes i think that bike forums have too much misinformation, but this advice here is right on-the-button.

Here's my "Remove The X-Bar" video (again ?) :-

Muchissimas graçias, muchachos - especially to Neil and for the link provided by Slipperyeel.

Sometimes i think that bike forums have too much misinformation, but this advice here is right on-the-button.

Here's my "Remove The X-Bar" video (again ?) :-

You do know that 75% of the work you did to remove\replace the slave cylinder was unnecessary :D

When I did this the only thing I knew was where it was, looked a bit awkward getting to it but I only ended up taking off the rear wheel and shock. Used a ball ended hex to loosen the cluch slave and when it was loose enough to tilt around a bit, I undid the lines and pulled it out. Only took a novice a couple of hours, inc fitting and re-bleeding the system. I think I got lucky with the clutch hoses though as most people said they had to move the hose around the forks/etc.

Hi Neil and Gog,

I'm not sure that I wasted so much time by doing the extra work needed to remove the slave cylinder.

if the X-bar were still in place, how would I be able to replace the Werkstück on the end of the bleeder hose and also the long braided hose going to the handlebar reservoir with a longer one so that I can raise the bar with a pair of risers ?

And more importantly, how would I be able to hoick out the contaminated seal deep in the slave cylinders mating cavity ? Neil helpfully suggested earlier that I use an L-shape on the end of a long strong pick, but ¿ ferkling that tool about inside the cavity, trying to avoid scratching the inside surface of the bore, with the X-bar in the way ?

Surely not....

So I respectfully beg to disagree. Sometimes long experience and great wisdom in a particular field carries the responsibility for polite responses to lesser mortals.

Back
Top Bottom