1250 Launch live now on facebook , BMW Motorrad

I think they need to take a look at the Ducati Bike launch's of last few years and update this amature affair a little.

They are Germans and do functionality, whereby the Italians love a bit of extravagance. It was certainly low key.

Where did you come to the conclusion the brakes are worse than the current model?

Good point. The fact that BMW have ditched Brembo and have used cheaper Chinese-sourced brakes doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be crap.

Many parts are now sourced in China so why not save money on the brakes too !

Good point. The fact that BMW have ditched Brembo and have used cheaper Chinese-sourced brakes doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll be crap.

Many parts are now sourced in China so why not save money on the brakes too !

Probably “reverse engineered” from some other successful companies product knowing the Chinese track record, but at a significant cost saving for the mothership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting, technically.

Item 1.
At last, BMW have gone for an inverted tooth cam drive chain, something they should have done on the previous engines.
Item 2.
A very neat way round the dilemma of wishing to copy Honda's Vtec valve control without being seen to do so. If anything, it appears to be better than the Honda design.
Myke

you could paint the grey side panels on the rallye to get that look. Blue on the top of the tank looks the same

He’s probably feeling a bit daft. More power, shittier brakes. Great move BMW. :thumb :blast

Wow from a video and pics you can deduce the bike has shittier brakes. If they have ditched Brembo, are Brembo the only people who can make decent brakes then? Or should we just wait for the ride reports, jealousy creeping in maybe :)

If you go to bmw-motorrad.de you can look at the 1250 RT and GS on their website

Item 1.
At last, BMW have gone for an inverted tooth cam drive chain, something they should have done on the previous engines.
Item 2.
A very neat way round the dilemma of wishing to copy Honda's Vtec valve control without being seen to do so. If anything, it appears to be better than the Honda design.
Myke

Late Mr Honda was a genius, so looking at his ideas would not be a bad start.

However, the way the camshaft is shifted sideways will not easily work for a head with more than one cylinder. Hondas, as well as any other (including BMW) previous system are different. As for the idea of varying the valve lift, this is not new. BMW introduced their system in 2001, and other companies have also done this for quite a few years. Since Honda is mentioned, the Honda system did not vary the opening of the valves, they used an extra valve that opened up at higher RPMs. Their automobil system worked differently though.

The significant extra torque of the new engine is very nice, but the rest doesn’t appear to be much - is this just an interim refresh before a major change in another couple of years? It smacks a bit of when they introduced the twin-cam a couple of years before the first water cooled model.

I think they need to take a look at the Ducati Bike launch's of last few years and update this amature affair a little.

I think that if the goal is to sell many bikes and make money, perhaps it would be a better idea for Ducati to copy BMW than the other way around. :D

I think that if the goal is to sell many bikes and make money, perhaps it would be a better idea for Ducati to copy BMW than the other way around. :D

What, stick a swimming pool in front of their new bikes so nobody can get near them, and a fuzzy brain CEO who keeps calling the new bike a 'GT' (umm GS or RT) in his speech.

Anyways, it won't matter. All the cash needs to go on kickbacks to the bike Journo's. It'll be their words and YouTubes that'll give the launch or not.

What, stick a swimming pool in front of their new bikes so nobody can get near them, and a fuzzy brain CEO who keeps calling the new bike a 'GT' (umm GS or RT) in his speech.

Anyways, it won't matter. All the cash needs to go on kickbacks to the bike Journo's. It'll be their words and YouTubes that'll give the launch or not.

You lot are bloody amazing. Does it really matter in the scheme of things how slick a launch is - No. The launch has no bearing on sales, its just a launch. The GS is still the best selling Adventure bike, so I bet they are not really bothered about armchair critics. How about doing something radical, like riding it and then giving a balanced review, rather than making stupid statements when nobody has actually seen the bikes and nobody has ridden them yet.

You lot are bloody amazing. Does it really matter in the scheme of things how slick a launch is - No. The launch has no bearing on sales, its just a launch. The GS is still the best selling Adventure bike, so I bet they are not really bothered about armchair critics. How about doing something radical, like riding it and then giving a balanced review, rather than making stupid statements when nobody has actually seen the bikes and nobody has ridden them yet.

Best post in this thread by far.

Bit confused , how do you ride it and give balanced review, if nobody has seen it or ridden it............

Bit confused , how do you ride it and give balanced review, if nobody has seen it or ridden it............

I'm a bit confused how you can slag off a product without ever seeing it. Today the press are riding the bikes so we should get some views later. How about deducing the bike has shittier brakes from a photo - classic stupid. By the way I don't even own an GS, I have an RT, so not a GS fan boy.

I'm a bit confused how you can slag off a product without ever seeing it. Today the press are riding the bikes so we should get some views later. How about deducing the bike has shittier brakes from a photo - classic stupid. By the way I don't even own an GS, I have an RT, so not a GS fan boy.

I have not slagged it off at all, I only asked one question about the brakes, because I do not know what the front brake is, on the rear they show a Brembo................

Back
Top Bottom