1250 Launch live now on facebook , BMW Motorrad

Now that we're got the new engine, anybody care to guess when we might see a completely updated new model? If Motorrad are anything like BMW cars, a new model should follow 10-12 mths after the new engine get stuffed into the old model.

It’ll be 2-3 years, if history is anything to go by. The Twin Cam was released in 2010, then the LC followed in 2013.

I test rode a 2018 Rallye and I actually preferred my 2013. Didn't expect to but mine at 26k felt much peppier. Maybe it was the lighter crank but it was quicker. I had heard that the gearbox on the newer models was a great improvement over the early ones but again, didn't notice it.Mine felt as smooth as the new one.

The one noticeable difference was the power of the heated grips, the low setting was hotter than my high setting.

I would say to anyone thinking of buying used, go by condition and how it rides and don't just dismiss the early ones out of hand.

I test rode a 2018 Rallye and I actually preferred my 2013. Didn't expect to but mine at 26k felt much peppier. Maybe it was the lighter crank but it was quicker. I had heard that the gearbox on the newer models was a great improvement over the early ones but again, didn't notice it.Mine felt as smooth as the new one.

The one noticeable difference was the power of the heated grips, the low setting was hotter than my high setting.

I would say to anyone thinking of buying used, go by condition and how it rides and don't just dismiss the early ones out of hand.
Totally agree with this comment, my late 2013 Gs was at least as good as my 2017 Rallye, there’s nothing wrong with the new one but it’s the same as the earlier one, I hope someone’s enjoying it right now..

I think I will pop along and see both!

Thanks guys

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am at Bahnstormer on Saturday morning as Fat Cow going in for a tickle and a spruce up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’ll be 2-3 years, if history is anything to go by. The Twin Cam was released in 2010, then the LC followed in 2013.

But wasn't that an engine change, like we have just got, so a different frame with a new engine? So the current bikes with minor changes would have been around since 2013. Ignore the above, just read the RT model releases and realised that as BMW go, they release a facelift (which the 1250) is, then a new model 3 years after :)

But wasn't that an engine change, like we have just got, so a different frame with a new engine? So the current bikes with minor changes would have been around since 2013.

Same frame, different engine, as before. BMW will want to get at least 2 years out of this before a complete redesign, especially as the updated engine needs to roll out to the GSA next, which hasn’t been announced.

I noticed in one of the press releases that the weight of the GS has gone up by another 5kg. You’d think BMW would want to think about weight reduction rather than increase.

Yeah, although I’m never sure of the actual weight as they tend to quote weights without any optional extras, but the GS has officially crept up from 238Kg in 2013 to 249Kg. My 2018 GS feels just as heavy, if not heavier than the GSX1250, which was quoted at 254Kg, but the GS is quite a bit taller I guess. Of course the telelever and paralever don’t help as they add unsprung weight and you can’t really remove them as they’re signature features of a GS, so the only other way to save weight is to make either the frame or the engine lighter - we’ll they’ve just made the engine bigger and more complicated with extra parts in the heads so it not going to get lighter!

I noticed in one of the press releases that the weight of the GS has gone up by another 5kg. You’d think BMW would want to think about weight reduction rather than increase.

While I share your desire for a lower weight bike, it seems like they all share the same struggle against weight (reflects the customers :D). If we compare different brands, BMW are actually not bad. In fact, the GS/GSA is amongst the least heavy bikes.
Even the Ducati MS and KTM 1290 gets up in the same weight league once loaded up with large fueltank, racks, belly pan, crashbars and wind protection.

As long as we want all the extras I guess we have to accept the weight unless we are willing to pay extra for more exotic light weight materials.

Same frame, different engine, as before. BMW will want to get at least 2 years out of this before a complete redesign, especially as the updated engine needs to roll out to the GSA next, which hasn’t been announced.

I'm guessing most of that 5kg will be in the exhaust system.

No-brainer innit. At least have an embedded unit as an optional extra.

Imagine the crimbo's would find a way around that in 5 minutes though.

Sure it’s not going to help when it’s been locked in a container but every little helps and nice to have it all built in so it could send a kill code to every piece of electronics in the bike. Might make the scrotes move onto another brand. I believe the new TMax has this built in.

While I share your desire for a lower weight bike, it seems like they all share the same struggle against weight (reflects the customers :D). If we compare different brands, BMW are actually not bad. In fact, the GS/GSA is amongst the least heavy bikes.
Even the Ducati MS and KTM 1290 gets up in the same weight league once loaded up with large fueltank, racks, belly pan, crashbars and wind protection.

As long as we want all the extras I guess we have to accept the weight unless we are willing to pay extra for more exotic light weight materials.

............and if you put all that stuff on the GS as well you're back to it weighing significantly more than the Ducati and KTM again. I'm not sure what your point it :nenau

Andres

I’m a 110kg. The cheapest way for the bike to shed weight is for me to skip lunch

Actually skipping dinner is way better, have a good breakfast and eat lunch, then suffer for a few hours in the evening crying hunger, but the weight just drops off............;)

............and if you put all that stuff on the GS as well you're back to it weighing significantly more than the Ducati and KTM again. I'm not sure what your point it :nenau

Andres

My point is: There is no free lunch.

My -15 GSA weights 263kg. This includes bellypan, racks and crashbars.
Equivalent equipped KTM would be the -15 1290 Adventure. It's weight is 271kg

Ducati MS Enduro emptyweight, without crashbars: 225kg
1200 GSA emptyweight, including crashbars: 229Kg

Source for my numbers: bikez.com

I'm guessing most of that 5kg will be in the exhaust system.

According to MCN it's the LED headlight & TFT screen, which the last one had, so that rules that out. Probably is the exhaust/ bigger engine.

According to MCN it's the LED headlight & TFT screen, which the last one had, so that rules that out. Probably is the exhaust/ bigger engine.

Yes - engine barrels and pistons will be bigger, plus the longer inlet camshaft, wider cam drive gear, and camshift solenoids, will all add weight.

Speaking to an acquaintance who's been testing this bike for the last few months , he says its a considerable step up from the current LC and the additional weight isn't noticeable ...
To add to that he also mentioned that it still won't change the fact that 99% of the people that buy it will be wankers.........the cheeky bleeder :hippy

Speaking to an acquaintance who's been testing this bike for the last few months , he says its a considerable step up from the current LC and the additional weight isn't noticeable ...
To add to that he also mentioned that it still won't change the fact that 99% of the people that buy it will be wankers.........the cheeky bleeder :hippy

Tell your mate he's wrong, it will be more than 99%:D

Back
Top Bottom