Last minute whisky trip

Wonkey donkey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just got a pass out for another bike trip, at the end of this month, and despite going to Scotland earlier in the year decided to embrace my love of Scotch and include a few distilleries. Sorted first couple of days. Up to Oban on day 1 Spend the night there then ferry to Islay and do tour of Ardbeg.

Need help on the next couple of days as plan to go over to Speyside where there are lots of distilleries but can anyone recommend where to stay. So many towns so thought I would ask the locals :D

Many thanks

Distances aren't huge so any place in Speyside that takes your fancy will do. Look at Craigellachie Highlander Inn; otherwise Dufftown, Grantown or even down on the coast. Nairn is fine and some nice roads between there and the places you will be visiting. Keith also local.

Do a hotel search and see what you like.

The new Macallan distillery is stunning but, I believe, you need to book it in advance as it's very busy.

Distances aren't huge so any place in Speyside that takes your fancy will do. Look at Craigellachie Highlander Inn; otherwise Dufftown, Grantown or even down on the coast. Nairn is fine and some nice roads between there and the places you will be visiting. Keith also local.

Do a hotel search and see what you like.

Happy sorting hotels it's just knowing which area to begin looking in. Near me Forest Fields sounds idyllic but your bike would be gone in 20 seconds :D

The new Macallan distillery is stunning but, I believe, you need to book it in advance as it's very busy.

Thanks Khulu saw this in an article so will definitely take a look. So many round there it's gonna be fun :beerjug:

Thanks Khulu saw this in an article so will definitely take a look. So many round there it's gonna be fun :beerjug:

As Northern Jock said they're all close together. Craigellachie is between Macallan and Wm. Grants (good for lunch) and Cragganmore distillery is en route to Grantown. Then there's Aberlour (including distillery) where the Dowans hotel also had a very well stocked whisky bar.

I am going to Macallan distillery next weekend, it is meant to be based more on the European vineyards and not traditional in its design, so I would suggest you do that. £15, you will need to pre-book, designed by Richard Rogers firm RSH-P

While on Islay, you have to have a look in then all and have a short boat trip to Jura, nice pub near the distillery. Lagavulin distillery shop and entrance was amazing (personal fave) Laphroaig has a nice little museum and got given a couple of miniatures and we did not even go on the tour.

Also have a soft spot for Edradour, used to be smallest distillery, not sure if that true with all the new cottage industry whisky co. We used to go to this on the winter GSclub meet up at Kirkmichael.

Cheers

I am going to Macallan distillery next weekend, it is meant to be based more on the European vineyards and not traditional in its design, so I would suggest you do that. £15, you will need to pre-book, designed by Richard Rogers firm RSH-P

While on Islay, you have to have a look in then all and have a short boat trip to Jura, nice pub near the distillery. Lagavulin distillery shop and entrance was amazing (personal fave) Laphroaig has a nice little museum and got given a couple of miniatures and we did not even go on the tour.

Also have a soft spot for Edradour, used to be smallest distillery, not sure if that true with all the new cottage industry whisky co. We used to go to this on the winter GSclub meet up at Kirkmichael.

Cheers

If you're on Islay then the best place for lunch is Ardbeg.
At Macallan if you see a picture, in the visitor centre, of a long grey bearded guy that's me!

If you're on Islay then the best place for lunch is Ardbeg.
At Macallan if you see a picture, in the visitor centre, of a long grey bearded guy that's me!

Will look out for that.

Would Wonkey Donkey, not be better getting Kennacraig to Islay ferry its only 2.5hrs from memory and same time as getting to Oban (happy to be proven wrong)

I could also high recommend this bunkhouse, it had just been converted when we went, the lady also cooks you a 3 course meal for a tenner or something like with lamb off the farm as the main course - bikes also stored in one of the barns over night

Nice millitary roads to ride over to get to it too

https://www.facebook.com/Ifferdale/

Well Islay has now been binned as the morning ferry is full so wouldn't get there until late afternoon and the Ardbeg tour we wanted is at 2 pm. Oh well will do Islay next time.

So plan is
home to Oban
Oban to Ullapool (good riding day)
Ullapool to Macallan distillery area and do this and probably Glenfiddich, Glenfarclas
Next day not sure but may head down to borders or even Northumberland for a night

Aviemore should have lots of accommodation now the season is nearly by and before the snow. Not far from Speyside.

Aviemore should have lots of accommodation now the season is nearly by and before the snow. Not far from Speyside.

Thanks Gerard I rode through there in June and stopped for an ice cream which was very nice. I thought the whole place in general was good so will add that to the list.

Happy sorting hotels it's just knowing which area to begin looking in. Near me Forest Fields sounds idyllic but your bike would be gone in 20 seconds :D

As I said, Craigellachie, Grantown, Dufftown, nairn and Keith.

Just look for hotels in those places, amongst others

Right my little Northern mates all sorted, nearly:D

Nottingham to Oban 1 night
Oban to Ullapool 1 night
Ullapool to Mash Tun in Aberlour 1 night

We then have booked The Highlander Inn for 1 night and distillery tour at Glenfiddich. On this day we need to be at distillery at 3pm so only have 3-4 hours of riding and wondered where we might head too. Only place I have really heard of is Lossiemouth so any ideas of places to visit along that coast would be appreciated. Don't need to ride through Cairngorms as we will do that the day after on the way back south.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom