Random stalling

tjmouse

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My 2009 GS has started stalling randomly. Normally when I’ve been riding about 20 mins and always when I’m coming to a stop. Throttle off, clutch in, engine dies. Seems like the ECU isn’t catching the dropping revs and so it just cures out.

Any pearls of wisdom as to why this might be? When it was last in the garage they said there was an error from a lamda sensor so I’m wondering if that’s sending bad data could it cause the engine to stall?

I have cured this two different times two different ways - first was throttle sync which hadn't been done in a while. Second was two tanks with fuel system cleaner. I would be interested to know the details of why this happens too

TPS sensor is the likley culprit

£38 on the bay new non oe - or do a search on here for how to clean it

Lamda only reporrts oyxgen / ratio in the exhaust

It wont show up in GS911 ;)

One clip & two screws - fitted in under 5 minutes :)

Cleaning takes a tad longer and you need meths as well ;)

I had this - it was the lambda probe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ok - I’ve got a pair of spare used lamda sensors so might swap them anyway

For the TPS I believe it’s number 4 on this: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...25-BMW-R_1200_GS_08_0303,0313_&diagId=13_1116 but googling just gives me overseas stores or bmw cars - anyone got a link to the right part?

Yes it is Nr 4

Here the Ebay part - The link i have is out of date -but it was from this supplier & a Hella part

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-Ne...ke:BMW&hash=item2838394017:g:dgwAAOSwceNZSoJ9

And the link for cleaning
http://www.ukgser.com/technical/nick...on) V1.0.pdf

I believe it is the same part as used on cars

When mine did this it was failing primary coils. The Lambdas were very sooty (rich mixture) but that's a symptom of a misfiring coils. I recently replaced the TPS with a Hela unit but there was no change to the lumpy tickover that my bike has always had.

When mine did this it was failing primary coils. The Lambdas were very sooty (rich mixture) but that's a symptom of a misfiring coils. I recently replaced the TPS with a Hela unit but there was no change to the lumpy tickover that my bike has always had.

I had at least one of my primary coils failing on a trip to France earlier this year. Bike never stalled. Just wouldn't rev on more than a third throttle. Also wouldn't pull any more than 75-80 mph.replaced both coils when I got back with new BMW ones and all was fine again.

I had at least one of my primary coils failing on a trip to France earlier this year. Bike never stalled. Just wouldn't rev on more than a third throttle. Also wouldn't pull any more than 75-80 mph.replaced both coils when I got back with new BMW ones and all was fine again.

Both of my coil took a long while to finally fail and were hard to diagnose. In the meantime I had all sorts of issues with stalling, variable fuel consumption and rough running. It was especially bad when hot (as you'd expect for faulty stick coils). When one finally gave up the ghost I was struggling for power. The other coil failed on the way back home from the dealers so I turned back again and forked out another £80.

Same as NicD for me, I tried secondary coils and TPS with slightly smoother running.

I then used Techron fuel system cleaner (the only one that actually works in my opinion) and spent literally ages getting my throttle balance spot on, which transformed my bike.

My 2009 GS has started stalling randomly. Normally when I’ve been riding about 20 mins and always when I’m coming to a stop. Throttle off, clutch in, engine dies.

I've had this a couple of times on my 2008. Rare enough that I wonder have I just done something stupid or was I rolling to a stop in too high a gear and not grabbing the clutch in time. Good to see it might not be me!

I’m interested to see these possible causes. Mine (2011 30k miles) sometimes feels like it’s about to stall when idling, e.g. at traffic lights, the revs start to hunt and it feels like it will die on pull away, mostly saved by over-revving and burning the clutch to pull away, but has stalled once or twice when I’ve been caught unawares (e.g. didn’t notice hunting and tried to pull away normally). I assumed coils, but it’s rare enough and coils are expensive enough I’ve not gotten around to resolving.

Check all the clamps from the throttle bodies back to the airbox are properly secure and check the either of the throttle bodies haven't unseated themselves.

I’m interested to see these possible causes. Mine (2011 30k miles) sometimes feels like it’s about to stall when idling, e.g. at traffic lights, the revs start to hunt and it feels like it will die on pull away, mostly saved by over-revving and burning the clutch to pull away, but has stalled once or twice when I’ve been caught unawares (e.g. didn’t notice hunting and tried to pull away normally). I assumed coils, but it’s rare enough and coils are expensive enough I’ve not gotten around to resolving.
Had a few with these symptoms,
Our experience is secondary coils.
Primary coil failure is more likely to produce the symptoms tha Gazza12adv has described ( I know this cos he popped over and we substituted good coils on his bike)

Had a few with these symptoms,
Our experience is secondary coils.
Primary coil failure is more likely to produce the symptoms tha Gazza12adv has described ( I know this cos he popped over and we substituted good coils on his bike)

+1.

My 1200ST had exactly the same symptoms when a lower coil failed, plus if I revved the engine at a standstill, as the revs died off there'd be some obvious popping in the exhaust...presumably unburnt fuel. It happened to me twice, I got in the habit of carrying spare coils on the bike as they're so easy to change.

Pete

Who manufactures the coils ???

Would there be a corresponding coil from a car parts catalogue that might save a few bob??

Would there be a corresponding coil from a car parts catalogue that might save a few bob??

I think Beru make the aftermarket ones, bit cheaper than from BMW....'bit' being the operative word! I picked up a very cheap pair of mains on Amazon, £16 each, which I reckon were 'genuine' but direct from the Chinese factory that makes them! They're out of stock at the moment though. I've never seen cheap lowers - Beru or BMW only, I think.

USA-style alternative here! - https://advrider.com/f/threads/coil-sticks-no-more.713106/

Pete

The primary's are standard 3 pin stick coils, I believe you can get car sets to fit - However looking in the Valeo & Beru ? catalogues does not show a cross compatible unit.

The secondarys are of a unique design and i couldnt find any non oem units / pattern parts anywhere

Cheers lads......that's the type of info I was looking for.

My yoke, in the last few weeks has gotten less "crisp" on the throttle and is doing a lot more popping/banging than it normally does. Stopped in I can smell the exhaust more than I normally would.

I'm going to have my exhaust refitted to make sure the joints are sound (to rule that out) and after that I'll have the coils replaced.

Sent from a U11

Back
Top Bottom